List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
So we have someone like Naismith and Taylor stay on our senior list, move them to a rookie spot and pick up a DFA. Not sure I understand the sense in it from the AFL.....

No point in putting Naismith on the rookie list as we can put him on the long term injury list in the new year which then allows us to either sign another rookie player during the Supplementary Signing Period or keep the spot available to get a pick for the mid season draft.

Last year was a one off as the list sizes were cut with short notice. This rule was changed to allow clubs to move players both contracted and out of contract to the rookie list without having to first expose all players involved to both the National Draft and then requiring to be selected in the Rookie Draft. This rule change also enabled clubs to open up enough senior list spots to be able to make selections in the National Draft.

This will just delay the process that was only going to be for a small handful of players in any case. I suspect we won’t even make use of it.

Sometimes success is your worst enemy. The Gould's point of view.

Take our defense.
Rampe, Lloyd and Cunningham almost never lose games to injury.
How is a guy like Gould to ever get a debut let alone successive games under his belt.

I don't think how ever hard he plays in the two's that he will get a game over those 3.

Take our defense.
How is a guy like Gould to ever get a debut let alone successive games under his belt.

I don't think how ever hard he plays in the two's that he will get a game over those 3.
And McCartin as well.
He's also a bit of a victim of our changed approach from the back. He, Melican, O'Connor and O'Riordan are more traditional type medium defenders. We have been using Blakey and McInerney, even Campbell, who are very different.
It would be great if he and O'Connor developed enough to be KPDs after a fashion. Both over 190.
I have no faith in Melican settling in to that role. O'Riordan and Fox are good honest toilers but not KPDs, but probably still ahead of Gould.

And McCartin as well.
He's also a bit of a victim of our changed approach from the back. He, Melican, O'Connor and O'Riordan are more traditional type medium defenders. We have been using Blakey and McInerney, even Campbell, who are very different.
It would be great if he and O'Connor developed enough to be KPDs after a fashion. Both over 190.
I have no faith in Melican settling in to that role. O'Riordan and Fox are good honest toilers but not KPDs, but probably still ahead of Gould.
I agree. There is a serious gap in our defence age wise.

Rampe(32)
Cunningham(29)
Lloyd(29)
thats only the medium guys

Then the backup
We have Gould(21)
We have ORiorian(28)
We have Fox(29)

Take our defense.

I have not seen a scintilla of evidence in watching the Ressies - and yep, I accept Covid has stuffed development up - that Gould looks like an AFL player.

Updated Contracts for Reid, Ronke, O'Connor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid ronke bell Naismith Taylor Clarke

Maybe Sinclair

All paid to be fu**en list cloggers
Depth !
likely on bugger all cash... and all out of contract in 2022 - heaps better than trading Clarke and Taylor for three years; Grey and Brand for two years.
We're drafting / developing our own depth these days, which is heaps cheaper and with far less commitment.

No Swans players mentioned on the list of rookies to be upgraded at the national draft.

Multiple clubs have made the call to upgrade players from their rookie list, moves that will be finalised at the upcoming National Draft.
The AFL released their first list lodgement update on Thursday, confirming the changes to each side’s primary list, both from trade period additions and rookie list upgrades.

Contracted players for 2022 that were rookies at the start of 2021;
Fox, O'Connor, McLean, Sheather and Wicks.

I think it's generally been assumed that the last 3 have been upgraded to the senior list, but I don't recall seeing official confirmation and I couldn't see it mentioned when their re-signings were announced.

Charlie Gardiner has said we are likely to take 3 or 4 ND selections, so unless we still have an interest in a free agent or are keeping spots open for the supplementary drat etc I'm not sure why McLean, Sheather and Wicks aren't on the main list (if in fact they are not).

Of course it may just be a timing issue as there is still opportunity to add them.

It would also be handy (and professional) if the AFL actually put out more information on list make-ups.
Info should be on AFL website, not having to read SEN's site, for the limited info available.

No Swans players mentioned on the list of rookies to be upgraded at the national draft.

Contracted players for 2022 that were rookies at the start of 2021;
Fox, O'Connor, McLean, Sheather and Wicks.

I think it's generally been assumed that the last 3 have been upgraded to the senior list, but I don't recall seeing official confirmation and I couldn't see it mentioned when their re-signings were announced.

Charlie Gardiner has said we are likely to take 3 or 4 ND selections, so unless we still have an interest in a free agent or are keeping spots open for the supplementary drat etc I'm not sure why McLean, Sheather and Wicks aren't on the main list (if in fact they are not).

Of course it may just be a timing issue as there is still opportunity to add them.

It would also be handy (and professional) if the AFL actually put out more information on list make-ups.
Info should be on AFL website, not having to read SEN's site, for the limited info available.
I agree HB.

I get my guaranteed info from Bigfooty. How funny is that. The most trusted information that I have.

1636085980930.png

Bell's official puff piece on Swans website says he is in next year but no official confirmation. Still no word on Clarke and Bell but assume they are contracted unless they are not.

Hey Charlie is it 3 (Clarke is in) or is it 4 (Clarke is gone).

Last edited:
James Bell was at training today so that confirms that there was a trigger clause in his contract that he met and is now included in the group of 2022 player re-signings.

The Final release of our draft picks for this week (6 picks that make up the remaining list spots) makes me think that Ryan Clarke also has a contract for next year but no sign that he was at training so no movement to remove him from the unsigned list just yet.

We should use 3 National Draft selections and then 3 Rookie Draft selections (one which will be used to re-draft Lewis Taylor).

This is the safest I can say that we will run with a 38 man Senior List.

James Bell was at training today so that confirms that there was a trigger clause in his contract that he met and is now included in the group of 2022 player re-signings.

The Final release of our draft picks for this week (6 picks that make up the remaining list spots) makes me think that Ryan Clarke also has a contract for next year but no sign that he was at training so no movement to remove him from the unsigned list just yet.

We should use 3 National Draft selections and then 3 Rookie Draft selections (one which will be used to re-draft Lewis Taylor).

This is the safest I can say that we will run with a 38 man Senior List.
Kinnear mentioned yesterday on AFL Draft that Swans are waiting on approval to draft Paddy McCartin

Kinnear mentioned yesterday on AFL Draft that Swans are waiting on approval to draft Paddy McCartin

We can’t draft him in either the National or Rookie Draft’s as he didn’t nominate for the drafts but he can be picked up via the Supplementary Selection Period during the Pre Season after the draft. This will likely be when we place Naismith on the Long Term Injury List, but we could also pass on a Rookie Draft selection as well to make the signing earlier.

I have updated the OP to after the draft period.

I have decided that as we didn’t select Anderson and ended up making 4 picks in the National Draft that it is likely we didn’t promote any of McLean, Wicks and Sheather to the Senior List despite each signing 2 years contracts. Until I see otherwise stated by the club or similar source they will stay listed as rookies for the purpose of this list.

It’s likely we have 36 senior listed players, 5 Cat A rookies and 2 Cat B rookies. This means we have one Cat A rookie spot available, which enables us to sign Paddy McCartin via the SSP without having to put Naismith on the LTIL.

I have updated the OP to after the draft period.

I have decided that as we didn’t select Anderson and ended up making 4 picks in the National Draft that it is likely we didn’t promote any of McLean, Wicks and Sheather to the Senior List despite each signing 2 years contracts. Until I see otherwise stated by the club or similar source they will stay listed as rookies for the purpose of this list.

It’s likely we have 36 senior listed players, 5 Cat A rookies and 2 Cat B rookies. This means we have one Cat A rookie spot available, which enables us to sign Paddy McCartin via the SSP without having to put Naismith on the LTIL.
Quality stuff as always Ando. Thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back