Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Sony has just dropped the first PlayStation 5 details out of nowhere.

Mark Cerny, who was the lead Architect for PlayStation 4 has revealed the first PlayStation 5 details in an exclusive for Wired. This is the first time that Sony has spoken about their next-gen console officially.

It’s been revealed that the console will release in 2020 and has spent four years in development. It will sport a 8 core AMD Zen 2 and will support ray-tracing with its GPU. It will also have an extremely high-end SSD.

Read more at
https://press-start.com.au/news/pla...ficially-confirmed-and-its-releasing-in-2020/

Last edited by a moderator:

They updated to say they are guessing 2020 based on 2019 being deconfirmed

Also an high end SSD better than any PC solution is pretty laughable because it isn't possible.

Would cost more than the ps4 did

Last edited:
Editor's update
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Press Start have since updated the article saying 2020 is their speculation so I've updated the thread title. I'd still bet on 2020 if it's using Zen 2 CPUs as Zen 3 is releasing this year, so the manufacturing dies for the PS5 would be in the process of being setup currently.

EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this article stated that the console would be releasing in 2020. This was speculative on our behalf. It has only been stated that it is not releasing in 2019, prompting us to believe it will be 2020.

They updated to say they are guessing 2020 based on 2019 being deconfirmed

Also an high end SSD better than any PC solution is pretty laughable because it isn't possible.

Would cost more than the ps4 did

Difference is Sony would be manufacturing close to 100m consoles, those numbers keep the costs of parts and hardware down.

Difference is Sony would be manufacturing close to 100m consoles, those numbers keep the costs of parts and hardware down.

True. I remember the hardware they choose for the ps3 made a loss of 805$ per unit. Ridiculous.

Ps4 was at 100$ loss per unit

They would be selling it at a loss too. This is quite a step though.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Love the SSD, will make such huge difference. I hope my PS4 can last the next year and a half or so as it's sounding like a jet plane even after a clean.
Mine gets very noisy - particularly when playing RDR. I reckon it only started happening around a year ago.

I guess it's normal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Mine gets very noisy - particularly when playing RDR. I reckon it only started happening around a year ago.

I guess it's normal?

Mine started with RDR2 but has continued into other games now. Not replacing it now or upgrading to Pro so it'll have to survive until PS5 comes out.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Mine started with RDR2 but has continued into other games now. Not replacing it now or upgrading to Pro so it'll have to survive until PS5 comes out.

When you took yours apart to clean it did you dismantle the blower and reapply the thermal paste? I haven't done it myself but I've seen videos about it. The blower design I guess means it's always going to be somewhat noisy, but just thinking out loud here, possibly something as intensive as RDR2 really drove the thermals up which accelerated deterioration of the thermal compound.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
When you took yours apart to clean it did you dismantle the blower and reapply the thermal paste? I haven't done it myself but I've seen videos about it. The blower design I guess means it's always going to be somewhat noisy, but just thinking out loud here, possibly something as intensive as RDR2 really drove the thermals up which accelerated deterioration of the thermal compound.

No I didn't but tbh if it dies then so be it. I'll just play on PC until PS5 as I don't really want to invest in another PS4 so near the end.

Yeah, It's normal for different games to have different workload of fan and disc read noise. Last of Us remaster was like a plane taking off - Haven't a had a game as loud as that since.

Some are way worse than others. My mates is incredibly loud all the time, like really loud where as my 2 consoles are fine unless playing something like RDR2, H:ZD or GoW.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I wonder if Sony will FINALLY relent on allowing external assets to be used for player-created modding for next-gen consoles. I realise there are security issues involved, but it could be tightly supervised and yet be still very much workable.

Us players would love it

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah it is very unusual.

I think when I play FIFA or PES it's relatively quiet. But RDR sends it into overdrive and sounds like it will blow up.
Is it detrimental that it sounds like this?

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
will it require a DNA sample and character references from family members 2 turn on ?

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
It shouldn't, but if it gets too hot there is a chance it will start thermal throttling which will lower performance. The noise is just more annoying than anything else.
Yeah, Mine is in quite a ventilated place so I can't see why it would get too hot.

I turn it off/change games if it makes the sound for a long period.

Yeah, Mine is in quite a ventilated place so I can't see why it would get too hot.

I turn it off/change games if it makes the sound for a long period.
Wtf. Aren't you on your honeymoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back