PS5 PlayStation 5 - November 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreal Engine 5 tech demo on a PS5

Bare in mind, tech demos are a exactly that....... a demo. It's an example of what the engine can do on the hardware, it's not a realistic indication of what games will look like.

Looks amazing but they still had to go through a rock crack which I assume is a loading screen. I hope next gen has a few game modes that can increase frame rates and remove fake loading screens if that is what the player prefers over maxed out graphics.

Looks amazing but they still had to go through a rock crack which I assume is a loading screen. I hope next gen has a few game modes that can increase frame rates and remove fake loading screens if that is what the player prefers over maxed out graphics.

Strategic loading is probably still a little unavoidable. Not sure the reasoning in that demo but in a large open world every single object occupies blocks of memory which still need to be managed, and to avoid unsightly pop in I think those sorts of things will be around for some time still. God of War did some pretty creative stuff though to use the environment to block off the play space when needed, but even then the player has to be funneled into a tight corridor or something. Still, it feels more natural though.

Is that indicative the ps5 cant handle loads ? Was that something the xbx will handle better or be the same?

As I said it's a demo of the tech and hardware, it's highly unlikely to be an accurate representation of actual game mechanics and load times. That rock crack could be anything from a a purely visual thing (appear out of nowhere and scaring the bats), to a demonstration of how the character interacts with the world, to a hardware limitation due to the world being too complex because it's showing what it COULD achieve instead of what it CAN achieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice if most next-gen console games had, at the very least, a choice between performance and resolution/visual quality. As we see those higher resolutions targeted especially, it would be nice if those who can't/don't want to take advantage of that capability can still get a benefit in performance. Regardless, I'd often prefer a game run smoother with a higher framerate than run at a higher resolution tier or have certain visual features. Unfortunately performance has often been the trade-off for consoles because it doesn't make the sexy presentation that graphical quality does, and numbers like 1080, 1440, 4k sound better than 60fps.

Epic Games’ new Unreal Engine 5 tech demo last week that gave us our first demonstration of a game running on the PlayStation 5, and offering a glimpse at what next generation gaming will truly look like. Incredible film level detail, natural lighting, no stuttering, no lagging and no popups.

While on paper the PS5 lacks some of the raw power of highest-end PCs or the Xbox Series X, the main advantage it has been touting has been its storage solution – one that allows software developers the tools to make next-gen detail possible.
Epic CEO Tim Sweeney spoke with Digital Foundry about that UE5 demo and says that Sony’s new console could teach most PCs a thing or two, offering high praise for its architecture and its “God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs”. He explains in his video interview:
“[The PS5] has an immense amount of GPU power, but also multi-order bandwidth increase in storage management. We’ve been working super close with Sony for quite a long time on storage. The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on the PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs.”
The Xbox Series X has a throughput of 2.4 gigabytes per second, as does almost all PCs with NVMe SSDs today. The PS5 on the other hand has 5.5 gigabytes per second, and as the tech presentation the other month demonstrated – Sony has effectively eliminated many of the bottlenecks that still reside between the key components of the system. Could completely redesigned motherboards and mandatory PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD drives be the next big thing in PCs?
Sweeney allows that with “a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome [Unreal 5] performance too.” We’re a while away from Unreal 5 hitting as it is going into preview for other developers early next year and will only be available from late next year – meaning we won’t see UE5 games until 2022 or 2023 most likely.
Sony is expected to unveil some new games, including the potential first titles for PS5 along with a first glimpse of the console’s new look, in the first week of June. One possibility that is being strongly rumored this week over at Inverse is an “Arkham”-style game involving Marvel hero Daredevil.

Epic Games’ new Unreal Engine 5 tech demo last week that gave us our first demonstration of a game running on the PlayStation 5, and offering a glimpse at what next generation gaming will truly look like. Incredible film level detail, natural lighting, no stuttering, no lagging and no popups.

While on paper the PS5 lacks some of the raw power of highest-end PCs or the Xbox Series X, the main advantage it has been touting has been its storage solution – one that allows software developers the tools to make next-gen detail possible.
Epic CEO Tim Sweeney spoke with Digital Foundry about that UE5 demo and says that Sony’s new console could teach most PCs a thing or two, offering high praise for its architecture and its “God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs”. He explains in his video interview:

The Xbox Series X has a throughput of 2.4 gigabytes per second, as does almost all PCs with NVMe SSDs today. The PS5 on the other hand has 5.5 gigabytes per second, and as the tech presentation the other month demonstrated – Sony has effectively eliminated many of the bottlenecks that still reside between the key components of the system. Could completely redesigned motherboards and mandatory PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD drives be the next big thing in PCs?
Sweeney allows that with “a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome [Unreal 5] performance too.” We’re a while away from Unreal 5 hitting as it is going into preview for other developers early next year and will only be available from late next year – meaning we won’t see UE5 games until 2022 or 2023 most likely.
Sony is expected to unveil some new games, including the potential first titles for PS5 along with a first glimpse of the console’s new look, in the first week of June. One possibility that is being strongly rumored this week over at Inverse is an “Arkham”-style game involving Marvel hero Daredevil.

Ummmmmmmmm....... its "God-tier storage system" IS a PC. PCIe Gen4 kit has been around for almost 12 months, and the hardware in the PS5 is just a "customised" version of the PC hardware coming out in a couple of months.

Ummmmmmmmm....... its "God-tier storage system" IS a PC. PCIe Gen4 kit has been around for almost 12 months, and the hardware in the PS5 is just a "customised" version of the PC hardware coming out in a couple of months.

Reckon the most interesting part of that article is more links between EPIC and Playstation, I wonder if a partnership is going to be in place for next gen.

Unreal Engine demos on Sony Hardware aren't new, the PS4 one was posted above, and an article on the PS3 one is here from 2009

I'm aware it isn't new. Merely highlighting that all recent info about the PS5 has come from Epic. And it would make sense for Sony to have a partnership with someone like Epic as they currently have no access to the PC market.

It's more the way they can use the SSD with games & their custom design. I've recently bought a decent gaming laptop with SSD's and it's not really mind blowing as no games are using the hardware to their advantage as they have to cater for a wide install base. The games are still designed for loading and revolve around it.

Once everyone is rocking one we could see another leap forward in game design rather than incremental steps that happen with pcs.

PS5 is whats going to force me into buying a 4K tv isnt it?

Just hope that some of the launch games are quality. I think i got about 15% of the way through Killzone when PS4 launched :/ And Resogun no matter what anyone told me at the time was an 80's arcadey joke pos.

I guess the question is - do i gumtree my PS4 now and get a decent sale and make that my pre-order money for a PS5, or get another 4 months out of my PS4? Decisions decisions

Last edited:
Only Richard from DF could make talking for 10 minutes about the image of a controller somewhat interesting. The second half especially is anyway.

does anyone else hate that the L2 and R2 buttons protrude out? So many times when i put my controller down on the couch one of those 2 buttons accidentally gets pressed making a song/movie etc skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back