PS5 PlayStation 5 - November 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So can any nerds explain which one is better?

On paper the Xbox would nudge ahead, though they trade blows in a few areas. The Xbox is probably better under any current metric, but the PS5 has some nifty features that are coming to the PC world in the next 12-24 months that if/when utilised could be more beneficial.

PS5 is whats going to force me into buying a 4K tv isnt it?

Just hope that some of the launch games are quality. I think i got about 15% of the way through Killzone when PS4 launched :/ And Resogun no matter what anyone told me at the time was an 80's arcadey joke pos.

I guess the question is - do i gumtree my PS4 now and get a decent sale and make that my pre-order money for a PS5, or get another 4 months out of my PS4? Decisions decisions
I wouldn’t as you’ll miss out on six months of games, including 2 massive first parties that could be masterpieces and need something to play Cyberpunk on.

It's more the way they can use the SSD with games & their custom design. I've recently bought a decent gaming laptop with SSD's and it's not really mind blowing as no games are using the hardware to their advantage as they have to cater for a wide install base. The games are still designed for loading and revolve around it.

Once everyone is rocking one we could see another leap forward in game design rather than incremental steps that happen with pcs.

You know what......... I re-typed this response a couple of times, and then realised it just wasn't worth trying to argue, enjoy your future console :thumbsu: I'm sure that in 7 years time when technology has evolved well beyond what's currently available and you're desperately waiting for the next "next-gen" you'll still be thinking PCs are the thing holding the industry back :$

The Unreal Engine 5 tech demo, Lumen in the land of Nanite, has caused quite a bit of excitement since it was released. While we won't be seeing anything using the technology any time soon, and the engine itself won't be dropping until next year, that hasn't stopped a small war erupting between would-be fans of the next-gen consoles.

This escalated after an interview with an engineer from Epic China (which has since been taken down) revealed that the demo seen running on the PS5 ran just as well on a laptop. In fact the PC reportedly ran the demo better, with the PS5 managing 30fps at 1440p while the laptop hit 40fps at the same resolution. The laptop in question is no slouch mind, featuring Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics and a 970 Evo Plus.

For reference, the Samsung 970 Evo Plus that can be found in the laptop has a throughput of 3.5 GB/s, which is great, but it's not the fastest drive you can buy, and can't touch the growing number of PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs that can hit up to 5 GB/s. In other words, the incredible fidelity that can be seen by the tech demo isn't going to be limited by the technology that can be found in modern PCs.

Good to see that the "god-tier storage" that's finally going to let the gaming industry move forward is just marketing BS :D:thumbsu:

Yes sweetie, affordable SSD's that read 60% faster than top of line SSD's now wont change anything at all
Get someone to read both my posts to you champ, sounds like those "60% faster god-tier SSDs" (ie. standard gen 4 NVMe drives that have been around for a while) aren't proving to have a difference in-game compared to a standard SSD

I dont understand the latest argument here....is it that ps5 is or isnt comparably powerful to a pc??

His first post in this thread was to randomly downplay UE5's capabilities, then he complained because Tim Sweeney himself decided to praise the PS5's storage system - then when someone pointed out other advantages / progression of consoles compared to PC he got a little upset.

Now he's back because the demo ran "just as well" on one of those high-end laptops that no one buys anymore.

There is no argument going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get someone to read both my posts to you champ, sounds like those "60% faster god-tier SSDs" (ie. standard gen 4 NVMe drives that have been around for a while) aren't proving to have a difference in-game compared to a standard SSD
Why don't you think the custom 12 faced channel interface with 6 lines of priority procedures, wont have any affect on game development?

What are your thoughts on the kraken decompression method, and the custom added DMA controller to manage the bottleneck limiting the ssd?

Don't you think the dedicated processor for the SSD I/O will have any affect on how current developer manage data pools and memory mapping for direct memory feed?

Last edited:
Really hoping for some quality launch games. Any idea what to expect this far out ?

Rumour is PS5 is coming out at the end of this year, hard to gauge what Day One exclusive is going to be out with it. Horizon 2 seems the most likely, I expect a bunch of ports to be available too especially The Last Of Us 2.

Rumour is PS5 is coming out at the end of this year, hard to gauge what Day One exclusive is going to be out with it. Horizon 2 seems the most likely, I expect a bunch of ports to be available too especially The Last Of Us 2.
Aren't they talking full BC with PS4? What would be the point of selling games as new that can already run on the console?

Really hoping for some quality launch games. Any idea what to expect this far out ?
Uncharted 5* by Sony's new studio in San Diego
Demon Souls Remastered by Bluepoint Games
Knack 3 by Japan Studio
GT7 by Polyphony Digital

Anything more would be wishful thinking, maybe could say Horizon or Ratchet and Clank but those 4 are safe bets.

Last edited:
Have you got any links for that?

There are a few fanciful rumours, but that's about it. If any are true then it's not even being made by Naughty Dog and won't be until next year at the earliest.

Sony have said the October PS5 release date was a mistake but they have already confirmed it will holidays this year. They won't launch it in December so that only leaves November lol. We'd know if there were any big launch exclusives by now imo. I think it will be similar to PS4 launch - a few yearly release games like the FIFA and CoD types, Valhalla and a few "upgrades" like TLOU2 and Cyberpunk. Maybe even Ghost of Tsushima as wasn't some earlier gameplay footage said to had been running on PS5 hardware?

There are a few fanciful rumours, but that's about it. If any are true then it's not even being made by Naughty Dog and won't be until next year at the earliest.

Sony have said the October PS5 release date was a mistake but they have already confirmed it will holidays this year. They won't launch it in December so that only leaves November lol. We'd know if there were any big launch exclusives by now imo. I think it will be similar to PS4 launch - a few yearly release games like the FIFA and CoD types, Valhalla and a few "upgrades" like TLOU2 and Cyberpunk.

Yeah I've seen only rumours and loose ones at that. Seems to be more wishful thinking than anything concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back