PS5 PlayStation 5 - November 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WII and Wiiu were massively family and casuals however. Perhaps the audience of Xbox won't have the issue of confusion and keep up with information.
While the gaming audience has generally gotten older, surely still a large chunk is children, and the people buying for children are, often poorly informed, parents.

France Amazon accidentally listed the PS5. The listing was by PlayStation with a release date of November 20. Pricing was as follows:

€499 with optical drive
€399 digital (without drive)

Punching that into a currency converter from Euro to AUD, at time of writing that is

$817.85 with drive
$653.95 digital

Things to consider if this is true: Europe has a VAT tax of 20%, our GST is 10%. To adjust for the VAT/GST I rounded these off to $720 and $575. This does not take into account actual local sales taxes or retail markups that would vary between regions. It also does not account for any difference in the prices of the distribution layers. If the listing was correct I think we can at least determine a pricing ballpark.

France Amazon accidentally listed the PS5. The listing was by PlayStation with a release date of November 20. Pricing was as follows:

€499 with optical drive
€399 digital (without drive)

Punching that into a currency converter from Euro to AUD, at time of writing that is

$817.85 with drive
$653.95 digital

Things to consider if this is true: Europe has a VAT tax of 20%, our GST is 10%. To adjust for the VAT/GST I rounded these off to $720 and $575. This does not take into account actual local sales taxes or retail markups that would vary between regions. It also does not account for any difference in the prices of the distribution layers. If the listing was correct I think we can at least determine a pricing ballpark.

Those prices sound great compared to some of the higher estimates around. Retailers in Australia are cut throat too and generally under cut recommended retail from a tech company so they might shave off a tiny bit more.

Those prices sound great compared to some of the higher estimates around. Retailers in Australia are cut throat too and generally under cut recommended retail from a tech company so they might shave off a tiny bit more.

My original guestimate was around $750, and it looks like that $699-$749 range might be it. Who knows though! These sorts of things are regionally priced so direct conversions aren't really accurate. If it is in fact a correct listing then I guess what we do know is it won't be $999 again, and it won't be under $600.

I definitely don’t want the digital only. Hopefully only is a 100$ difference

I like the fat arse that the disc version gives to it, I prefer the asymmetrical look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this will be the last console gen to have disk drives.

Consoles after this gen will be streaming boxes like Google Stadia

Probably right, but geez they'd wanna get their game prices down. Digital only prices are a joke compared to what you can wrangle at retail.

Yeah, does anyone know why that is?

From memory I think the theory is they don't wanna piss off the retailers who move their hardware by undercutting prices on games. And that once hardware purchasing moves to a certain point/saturation online then they'd be more comfortable running that risk and pricing their digital games more competitively. Dunno tho, sounds a bit flimsy to me.

More likely they're just greedy campaigners? :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, I find it baffling digital versions are $100 and you can get the physical copy for $70. Absolutely bizarre.

Not to mention physical lets you trade in when you're done, further reducing the price of your next game.

I'll be clinging onto my disk drive and physical media for dear life, I guess is what I'm saying :tearsofjoy:

Im really lazy, which pushes me to digital so I don't have to constantly swap discs, but $64 v $100+...

If the difference in consoles are around AUD100 then you have it covered by 3 games and then you have the (minimal) trade value of the physical disk. A no brainer to go the disk option if the digital games are going to retail at $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back