PS5 PlayStation 5 - November 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't fault people jumping in early for the new console(s), but yeah, nothing wrong either with waiting 6-12 months for a ton of info, analysis about the systems and for a good new library of games to be released.
I don't fault them at all either. If you're into the novelty of owning the latest tech, and in this case owning before many people will be able to get their hands on it due to the scarcity, then it's great. And if you haven't played a lot of the good PS4 games, then those people get the chance to play them at their absolute best in terms of graphics and performance. But if your primary concern and motivation for buying new hardware is the new games that come with it, then neither console offers a compelling argument, though it's sort of a moot point until 2021 anyway because if you don't have one on order now, you won't have one by then regardless.

thats a deal breaker.... cant move ps5 games from internal to external hard drive, only ps4 games. ps5 games HAVE TO exist on ssd to be playable, and theres only 660gb of free space on the ssd. most ps5 games will be 200gb

whereas the xsx does allow moving back and forth of xsx games
You’re exaggerating on the size of games a bit there.

thats a deal breaker.... cant move ps5 games from internal to external hard drive, only ps4 games. ps5 games HAVE TO exist on ssd to be playable, and theres only 660gb of free space on the ssd. most ps5 games will be 200gb

whereas the xsx does allow moving back and forth of xsx games

Hopefully the ability to store PS5 games on an external HDD will available in a future update, like as you said, it is for Xbox Series X/S at launch. The PS4 external HDD storage option only became available in a software update 3+ years after launch, so there is still hope that the PS5 will do the same sometime down the road.

Sony can’t expect people to shell out $200 for 1TB of internal SSD storage and however much else for whatever the external SSD options will be, because 1.6TB of internal storage is still not a lot if you want to store all your games.

You’re exaggerating on the size of games a bit there.

I reckon most games will probably be on average similar to what they are on PS4. I have 120 games stored on a 4.6TB external HDD and literally 43GB off full capacity. If I was to calculate that it would mean on average the games are between about 40GB each. The truly huge games (and I have quite a lot over 60GB and above) are few and far between.

We won’t see a lot of, “Activision has confirmed how much storage space Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold Warwill require at launch. The game's initial file size is 95GB on PS4, 93GB on Xbox One, 133GB on PS5, and 136GB on Xbox Series X/S.”.

the other thing is, xsx will allow you to play games directly from the add on drives, tho thats not ideal for performance, whereas ps5 the games have to be moved to the internal drive before being playable
I was under the impression you could only play BC games from an external drive. Series X games needed to be run either from the internal drive or the very expensive MS expansion SSD.

I was under the impression you could only play BC games from an external drive. Series X games needed to be run either from the internal drive or the very expensive MS expansion SSD.
You can play BC games on the SSD as well I'm sure, just only SX games can be played on the SSD. Its up to the user what their storage management is.

UI seems like a bit of a mess and not being able to transfer PS5 games to an external drive is a bit s**t when you only have 660gb to work with. Maybe Xbox did it right going for a uniformed UI across both gens.

On the plus side Miles Morales and Astros Playroom look fantastic. So keen to use the new controller.

As a level 5 EB member this trade deal has worked wonders for me. Getting both PS5 and Series X with Miles Morales Ultimate, Black Ops Cold War and Demons Souls and its only cost me $93 out of my own pocket (due to not having enough on a gift card when PS5 was ordered).

PS4 Pro, PSVR and 5 switch games was a $900 trade in alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this last month on Page 60

“The next solution to free up space from the PS5’s main drive (or additional NVMe SSD you install) is to plug in a regular external HDD or SSD. As both these storage solutions sit outside of the console, they’re often referred to as “external” drives.

Both these drives can be used to store and play PS4 games, however, they won’t benefit from the advantages of being stored directly onto the PS5’s NVMe drive. You can also store PS5 games on an external hard drive or SSD, but they won’t be playable unless you transfer them across to the internal drive.”

That‘s the confirmation I was after and so happy we can use a regular external HDD to store PS5 games. Sony released the prices of some of their external SSD solutions and the biggest at 2GB will set you back $450, there is no benefit to buying that over buying a 5TB external HDD for $200 since we can just transfer whatever we want to play on the internal storage. Transferring a 100GB game might take you 10-15 minutes.

Now the quote is, “Both these drives can be used to store and play PS4 games, however, they won’t benefit from the advantages of being stored directly onto the PS5’s NVMe drive. You cannot store PS5 games on an external hard drive or SSD, though, only PS4 games.”

I wonder how this article got the idea that storing PS5 games on an external HDD was possible. Sucks that it can’t happen.

I think they will patch in external storage for PS5 games. just will need to add warnings into the system and UI about not being able to play them from external drives. Hope it comes when they put out the whitelist for SSD expantions.

As long as it doesnt take a few years again to add it like with PS4.

the other thing is, xsx will allow you to play games directly from the add on drives, tho thats not ideal for performance, whereas ps5 the games have to be moved to the internal drive before being playable

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that you can play ps4 games from an external hd just you won't the quick load times/improvements

Pretty sure it's been confirmed that you can play ps4 games from an external hd just you won't the quick load times/improvements
You will still get improvements over the PS4 if you use an external ssd compared to the old hard drives. It would be a case by case basis for the amount of improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back