Multiplat PlayStation Plus

Remove this Banner Ad

Figured this would be the best place to out this..

Wifi/range extenders.. do they work for gaming? A few friends are having lag issues due to distance from the router and the router can't possibly be moved.

Any solutions?

They do work, but still at the mercy of the same factors like interference from other devices, building materials etc. Is it possible to try powerline adaptors? If so then they’re a gazillion times upgrade on the reliability of wifi.

They do work, but still at the mercy of the same factors like interference from other devices, building materials etc. Is it possible to try powerline adaptors? If so then they’re a gazillion times upgrade on the reliability of wifi.
Imma have to google what that is. Brb.

Ok, so they're the ones that you plug into a power outlet, with an ethernet in.. and then plug the other part near the PlayStation?

They are a bit more pricey but the main point of call is effectiveness, so might be the go.

Also, I thought I posted this in the normal PlayStation 4 thread... You can move it all if you want. Up to you guys.

I run range extenders for both my PS4s and they work well as long as I stay on the 5ghz wifi band (too many 2.4 GHz networks in my hood and the wifi can get congested as a result).

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Ok, so they're the ones that you plug into a power outlet, with an ethernet in.. and then plug the other part near the PlayStation?

They are a bit more pricey but the main point of call is effectiveness, so might be the go.

Also, I thought I posted this in the normal PlayStation 4 thread... You can move it all if you want. Up to you guys.

That's correct. I would also recommend the better quality ones which I guess doesn't help the expensive part but if you're looking for reliability then that's the price unfortunately. D-Link have some cheap ones, they were the first I went with and died within about 18 months. Spent a bit more the next time on a decent Netgear pair and they have been going strong for 3 or so years now. Anything over $100 should be fine. :thumbsu:

Try and scam a couple off foxtel. If you have the IQ3 say your router is not near the foxtel box and the wireless doesn't work for on demand things. They should give you a set.

Try and scam a couple off foxtel. If you have the IQ3 say your router is not near the foxtel box and the wireless doesn't work for on demand things. They should give you a set.

haha that's how I got my first junk D-Link ones. When they installed Foxtel in my old house it wasn't near the router so the bloke just gave them to me without me saying anything.

Hmmm and done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's correct. I would also recommend the better quality ones which I guess doesn't help the expensive part but if you're looking for reliability then that's the price unfortunately. D-Link have some cheap ones, they were the first I went with and died within about 18 months. Spent a bit more the next time on a decent Netgear pair and they have been going strong for 3 or so years now. Anything over $100 should be fine. :thumbsu:
Ah k, brilliant. Im probably getting annoying now, but can you get powerline adapter that also put out a wifi signal?

The NBN guy set up his connection in the front corner of his house and it gets a bit s**t in his kitchen lol

Ah k, brilliant. Im probably getting annoying now, but can you get powerline adapter that also put out a wifi signal?

The NBN guy set up his connection in the front corner of his house and it gets a bit s**t in his kitchen lol

Those exist too. No personal experience with them though so not sure what they're like. I guess they're like a standard powerline wifi extender but with an included ethernet port. Here is one:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Powerline/55146-TL-WPA4220KIT

Here is a whole heap of both powerline adaptors and wifi extenders if you want to look at them:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Powerline

This wasn't in your question but just giving ideas if you're wanting to get several devices off wifi and onto wired. I run one of these. It's a switch. Think of it as the ethernet or router part of your modem-router. My router runs into a powerline adaptor, and at another power point where the paired adaptor is I have that ethernet cable running into the switch. Into that switch I have plugged in my PC, PS4 and Xbox One and can have them all connected simultaneously.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/12854-GS605AU

Those exist too. No personal experience with them though so not sure what they're like. I guess they're like a standard powerline wifi extender but with an included ethernet port. Here is one:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Powerline/55146-TL-WPA4220KIT

Here is a whole heap of both powerline adaptors and wifi extenders if you want to look at them:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Powerline

This wasn't in your question but just giving ideas if you're wanting to get several devices off wifi and onto wired. I run one of these. It's a switch. Think of it as the ethernet or router part of your modem-router. My router runs into a powerline adaptor, and at another power point where the paired adaptor is I have that ethernet cable running into the switch. Into that switch I have plugged in my PC, PS4 and Xbox One and can have them all connected simultaneously.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/12854-GS605AU
Awesome, Thanks heaps for your help!

Just nabbed a PS3,a few tips appreciated,do I need to purchase PS plus in order to play online ala Xbox,Also I can't seem to find a section on the Play store where the PS1 releases are-i had to manually search for crash
Cheers

Just nabbed a PS3,a few tips appreciated,do I need to purchase PS plus in order to play online ala Xbox,Also I can't seem to find a section on the Play store where the PS1 releases are-i had to manually search for crash
Cheers

You don't need PS+ to play games online on PS3, but you do for PS4 if you ever pick one up.

As for where the PS1 games are there used to be a PS1 Classics section on the PS Store but I haven't used my PS3 in a few years so I'm not sure if it still exists.

This month's games.

Bloodborne (PS4)
Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

Legend of Kay Anniversary (PS3)
Mighty No. 9 (PS3 and PS4)
Claire: Extended Cut (PS Vita and PS4)
Bombing Busters (PS Vita and PS4)

Bloodborne is arguably the best exclusive on the system and the Ratchet and Clank remake is superb.

Also as of March 2019 PS+ will stop offering Vita & PS3 games.

Start your PS5 Xmas 2019 predictions now.

Probably a discussion for another thread but I actually watched video just the other day of someone talking about a possible 2019 date for the PS5. It was argued that 2019 fits on the time line and not being able to afford waiting until 2020 due to the current rapidly aging hardware. Microsoft put a lot of eggs into their One X basket and if Sony see it as reactionary to the Pro then a 2019 window makes even more sense to keep Microsoft playing catch up. Could you imagine what it would do to One X sales (and Pro sales for that matter), especially 2018 Christmas, if Sony announced a PS5 this year even for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back