News Izak Rankine, Gold coast holding Rankine to Ransom- #FreeIzak

What will be the trade with the Suns? (Crows posters only, NO opposition supporters)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this player worth 800?

Not a rhetorical question… genuinely interested what people think
Should anyone get $800k for kicking a footy around - well no, not in an ideal world.

Is he in the best 5% of players in the league - no, so he shouldn't

However, there's a salary cap, and with where ours sits, the potential this kid has, then yes, I say he is worth it.

Based on his current body of work, most probably not, but we're obviously paying him based on his potential.

I have always had an issue with young players getting massive coin based on potential when they haven't earned it. What is there to motivatie a young player to improve and grow if they already have the carrot?

It's either going to be a master stroke or an unmitigated disaster.

Put it this way, Reilly O'Brien is likely on $600k per year

Is Izak Rankine 33% better than O'Brien?

No but we're s**t and we have to pay somebody. The money isn't really the issue though. It's how it effects our draft capital.
Yep. He’s certainly not worth that money to a Geelong, Melbourne or Swans etc… teams that are challenging for a flag and have lists full of superstars who all need to get paid decent coin. But to the Crows, who are not challenging for a flag and do not have a list full of superstars, prising him away from a rival club with a large salary that can easily be accommodated within our salary cap - which we have to pay anyhow - is a smart move.

Why are people getting so worked up about the money side of this potential trade? If we were offering him a contract the size and length that is more in line with what his career output would otherwise demand, then he wouldn’t be entertaining a move home.

Not overly fussed on the 800K, you gotta pay to play and at this stage we should have more than enough cash to splash about.

I am more concerned with the draft capital it may take to give GC the warm and fuzzies.

Put it this way, Reilly O'Brien is likely on $600k per year
seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Just a further note to the whole BigHawk/Rucci saga.

As a joke I once created a Twitter account called BigHawk1961 and followed Rucci and he banned me within seconds of following him.

The fact that he recognised the name straight away and knew it was a troll account pretty much confirmed to me that it was his account on Bigfooty.

If he remains a small forward, it's overs.

If he becomes an elite mid, it's a bargain.

He's always been an Akermanis type IMO. There'll be a sliding doors moment at some point in his career - he'll cruise through his career kicking a few goals of the week and nothing more or he could become a Brownlow winning mid who could drive us to multiple shots at a flag.

Right now it's a gamble worth taking.

As a joke I once created a Twitter account called BigHawk1961 and followed Rucci and he banned me within seconds of following him.

The fact that he recognised the name straight away and knew it was a troll account pretty much confirmed to me that it was his account on Bigfooty.

Apparently you are Neil Craig

Yes, and relapse is Neil Craig!

Was he born in 61?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back