Please Rate Hawthorn's 2019 Season.

How would you rate Hawthorn's 2019 season out of 10?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we're only a tad bit off our 2018 season and that was without Mitchell, with him and hopefully Cogs coming into the team we should have a fair crack at the top 4. All our young players apart from Morrison took huge steps this year specially Impey, Worpel, Lewis and Scrimshaw, I still have faith in Morrison he has lot of class and game awareness should be right back into our best 22.

I think we're only a tad bit off our 2018 season and that was without Mitchell, with him and hopefully Cogs coming into the team we should have a fair crack at the top 4. All our young players apart from Morrison took huge steps this year specially Impey, Worpel, Lewis and Scrimshaw, I still have faith in Morrison he has lot of class and game awareness should be right back into our best 22.
After the injuries, Morrison was the major disappointment of the year. Have no idea why he started the year devoid of confidence.

Our senior players were rubbish for most of the year.
Stratts as captain, the form or lack of from Gunston, Breust & Smith were embarrassing if it wasn’t for the likes of Worpell, Sicily ect that are coming through we could have easily been on Melbourne’s shoes.
I’m sure if that were the case there would be calls for heads to roll but you know... whatever floats your boat.

In preparedness for 2020 we showed enough resilience in some big games to get excited for the future & the emergence of a number of players has next season looking very intriguing.

Some key additions & Mitchell back in the mix would easily have us in the top 4.
If the 4 odd games we should have won came off we would be 4th right now starring at a double chance at the G.
2020 🏆

I have actually loved this season.

Make no mistake - all these kids are being taught how to defend. And the result has been the lowest average score against for something like 60 years. When they are ready Clarko will release them to attack again.

Hawks are still a little off the pace and need to fill a few missing posts.

But the kids are taking over and you cannot help but feel optimistic.

Last edited:

Our senior players were rubbish for most of the year.
Stratts as captain, the form or lack of from Gunston, Breust & Smith were embarrassing if it wasn’t for the likes of Worpell, Sicily ect that are coming through we could have easily been on Melbourne’s shoes.
I’m sure if that were the case there would be calls for heads to roll but you know... whatever floats your boat.

In preparedness for 2020 we showed enough resilience in some big games to get excited for the future & the emergence of a number of players has next season looking very intriguing.

Some key additions & Mitchell back in the mix would easily have us in the top 4.
If the 4 odd games we should have won came off we would be 4th right now starring at a double chance at the G.
2020 🏆
Breust was our leading goal kicker, he had a down year by his standards but he was often our only dangerous forward option.

Kicked the most goals, had the most goal assists, 5th for tackles.

Amazing the crap he cops given how dysfunctional our forward line was until the last 8 rounds

Breust was our leading goal kicker, he had a down year by his standards but he was often our only dangerous forward option.

Amazing the crap he cops given how dysfunctional our forward line was until the last 8 rounds
Luke Breust was the only small forward to average over 1.5 goals and average above 3 tackles a game, Ablett and Walters also achieved this but they played significant minutes in the midfield. People are judging his year far too harshly, was often the only experienced player there.

9/10.. with our list coming into this season and the wins against top 4-8 teams ending the season with Rougheads form And when Impey went down to injury. I Thought he was our best player this year or close, beautiful overhead mark for his size and his rebounding from oppo kicks in their forward half.

Next year expectations will be huge esp if we get Cogs and Patton and another elite key pos player too cough cough, if we somehow get another great midfielder (joining cogs as new recruit) and one of our key forwards goes nuts and is challenging for the Coleman next year, hope o.b turns it on next year, or even better, he and Mitch Lewis create a powerful tall forward combo like Kennedy and darling (I wish) n similar to jack roo n Lynch combo will b great, I just reckon we need an elite key back (unless we trade a player who can go both ends of the ground) to keep the dominating forwards from blowing us away as some have done so this year..

Ps. That guy who said burgers form has dropped quite a bit, ur blind

PlEase don’t start harassing me and telling me I don’t know anything, just my 2 cents and my wish list, a man can dream can’t he? Not trying to troll or anything hehe

Jacob Koschitzke was drafted last year with a view to being key back so will have to watch his development.

Gave it a 5, we finished with 11 wins smack bang in the middle of the league, we had some super wins mixed in with some horrific losses. Some real positive growth from some young players and some disappointing seasons from some key senior players.

A really hard season to judge, ups and downs and some terrible flat spots but we kept improving. In the end, we weren't at our best and some hard decisions need to be made to setup for the longterm. All other teams should be warned though, Mitchell and Wingard are going to destroy teams and around round 10 the media will be saying it's so unfair we got Wingard through free agency and pretend like we didn't trade for him.

Great note to end the year on though and know we will be stronger next year.

Dangerous forward... Breust is one of the best at getting the easy ball over the back & aplauded for it.
Talk it up as much as you like mate, he was average at best.
Dysfunctional... that forward line was peppered with inside 50s & there was FA gained from it. Breust, Gunston & Poppy had a big hand in that’s

But..but the midfield was poor at delivery. It was that same high ball garbage that has been rolled out forever in a day.
Luckily Lewis & O’Brien came on otherwise the last 8 weeks would have been exactly the same.

I actually think we went quite good..
The loss of Tom was huge, and was really the difference in getting those 4-5 games that were so so close over the line, we win say 4 of those and we are knocking on the door of the top 4.

But even better is Scrimshaw, TOB and Lewis all showed great signs.
Worpel is great, Wingard played really good in latter half of season, Hopefully Scully injury is not so bad. JOM faded somewhat, but he got the whole season in with no worries!!

Dangerous forward... Breust is one of the best at getting the easy ball over the back & aplauded for it.
Talk it up as much as you like mate, he was average at best.
Dysfunctional... that forward line was peppered with inside 50s & there was FA gained from it. Breust, Gunston & Poppy had a big hand in that’s

But..but the midfield was poor at delivery. It was that same high ball garbage that has been rolled out forever in a day.
Luckily Lewis & O’Brien came on otherwise the last 8 weeks would have been exactly the same.
Do you even watch our games?
Did Breust knock you back for a signature on your jumper or something, you seem the really hate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you even watch our games?
Did Breust knock you back for a signature on your jumper or something, you seem the really hate him.
I like Breust when he has been at his best. Very dynamic when he is aggressive at the ball & player.
I think he has been ordinary this year & his value is still high enough to get a quality result in a trade.
Be that & very high draft pick or another required player in a bigger position of need than a fwd pocket.

I don’t have him or Gunston on a pedestal like so many others do.
If ppl can bang on about how important they are why can’t their be an opposing view? Or is that not the Hawthorn way

I gave 6/10. Should have been a top 8 side given the teams we beat over the season.

A good season in terms of player development, namely: Worps, Lewis, Timmy, Impey, Scrimmers, Ollie, CJ and Nash. Cuz also showed some good form at times.

Scully and Wingard were strong contributors and Chad looks ready to be one of the missing pieces for us with a strong preseason under his belt.

Dimma, Jaeger, Hendo, Frawley, Sicily, Shiels, McEvoy and Cegs all had very good seasons.

Sicily has taken the next step as he isn’t getting sucked as in as often by the opposition.

Injuries to Mitch and Birch robbed us of two key pieces. The later injury to Impey was also a massive blow. Ongoing injuries/form issues with Stratts, Gunner, Bruest, Smith, Poppy and Silk also hurt.

Jones, Walker, Ross and Moore showed their potential.

Howe, Glass, Brand and Morrison either stagnated or dropped off.

Overall, we are in good shape for 2020 if we can fill a few needs through trade/FA/draft and get a good preseason into most players.

I'm quoting this again to point out how stupid it is.
I like Breust when he has been at his best. Very dynamic when he is aggressive at the ball & player.
I think he has been ordinary this year & his value is still high enough to get a quality result in a trade.
Be that & very high draft pick or another required player in a bigger position of need than a fwd pocket.

I don’t have him or Gunston on a pedestal like so many others do.
If ppl can bang on about how important they are why can’t their be an opposing view? Or is that not the Hawthorn way
Breust was our top goal kicker, top for goal assists, top for score involvements, third across the entire league for tackles inside forward 50, and from the top 5 in that group kicked the most goals.

Again, he was our best forward across the season and for large parts the only regular threat.

You say we don't need a forward pocket well the drop off from him to our next option is pretty big, and that's assuming Poppy stays and doesn't regress further next year.

Yes he's one of the players we have with the most value on the market, because he's one of our best.

I think he's worth more to us than what we'd get for him.

I voted 7.
I said at the start of the year Tom missing would be 4 losses.
Factoring that in we would of played finals.Tick.
The improvement of TOB, Lewis, Scrimshaw & even more improvement from Worpel.Tick.
The last half of the season from Wingard.Tick
The older brigade, Frawley,McEvoy & Hendo all rock solid.Tick.
The super consistency of Shiel's & Hardwick.Tick.

I really hope we use pick 10. It's time for a ready made young gun to enter our club.

Finished exactly where I predicted we would pre-season, so I'd give our season a par score of 6/10 or a C+ sort of territory if you're playing that form

- Roller-coaster season, full of some very high highs and some very low lows
- An even share of half performances, full performances and non-existent performances
- Injuries certainly took their toll at some important moments, especially during close games
- We learnt a hell of a lot about our list as a whole, as well as pretty every player on that list
- Most importantly, we saw exactly what the future (the next couple of years at least) has in store; with the emergence of some talented young players, as well as the

7/10

Had us finishing 11th at the beginning of the season and kicking off the season with a huge loss to my pre-season premiership fancy in Adelaide.
We exceeded both of those expectations.

Pros:
We finally blooded some kids who looked to have promising futures. Lewis, Scrimshaw, Moore and Hanrahan in particular.
Worpel became an A-grader in only his second season.
Tim O'Brien FINALLY got it together.
Wingard looked like a massive bust until his last 4 games.
Jarman Impey proving his talent. Bloke is a star.
Big Boy can play as a Centre Half Back! (Probably the most unexpected and random success story of the year).
Beating Geelong, West Coast in Perth, Collingwood and GWS (twice for the latter).
Finishing the season off super strongly and snagging 9th spot (which proves we weren't far off the pace).
Roughy's send off.

Cons:
The mid-season rough patch.
No Titch for the whole season.
Jarman's injury.
Struggles kicking a score until late in the year.
Missing the finals.

All in all, exceeded my expectations.

I am confident we can push for top 4 again next year.

A 7 seems a tad high for not making finals but I think we found a number of players for the years ahead. Bad conversion cost us finals but we were not far off all things considered. I think the real positive is that Clarko and the club know where we are at and that is the most important.

I rated it a 7 since we held it together with the loss of Mitchell. I honestly thought we were going to finish 14th-16th. However, Worpel, Lewis, O'Brien, Wingard etc were great.

Back