Mod. Notice Please welcome deaneus as our new moderator!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, if you were writing a list of desired skills / attributes of a moderator, what would they be?
  • Someone who has time to dedicate to the forum to help things run smoothly, particularly on high traffic events such as selection nights and game days/aftermath of a loss.
  • Ability to steer threads back on track when they stray off course, as they inevitably do.
  • Try to ensure posters post with respect and not attack others. Encourage posters to follow board rules and be prepared to act if they don't. Important to be fair and give justified responses to any actions that are taken.
  • Observation of new posters/other club supporters that come in here to post to ensure they aren't just out to stir s**t up.
  • Ability to work cooperatively with other Mods.

It might be perhaps something that is implicit in your 'to be fair and give justified responses' point, but personally I would emphasise it is particularly important that a moderator be demonstrably capable of objectivity and not be inclined towards censorship of opinions based on disagreement with the content.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 288156

Greetings fellow posters

Ha ha yes i am a mod now, just in time for the rest of the finals

Thank you for all your support, well-wishes and assassination attempts

I will try to continue posting as I always have, that is to say, with stupidity and gifs, and I'll try to be a laid-back mod that makes this board an even better place to post*

Thanks again and let's get behind the Crows as they march forward to the 2016 Premiership

*unless you vex me incessantly and then let the Flying Spaghetti Monster help you because I will go ballistic on your posteriors

I'm known to be quite vexing... im just forewarning you

It might be perhaps something that is implicit in your 'to be fair and give justified responses' point, but personally I would emphasise it is particularly important that a moderator be demonstrably capable of objectivity and not be inclined towards censorship of opinions based on disagreement with the content.
Yes, that is implied.

I think it's a Crow Cast thing.

Maybe the secret is getting on there to fast track your way to mod status.

NikkiNoo Allefgib how soon can Jenny and I have our auditions !?!?!?!?!
Actually, Jenny has been a guest on Crowcast last year as a guest. Maybe we should start the boardtalk segment up again :)

How am I too divisive? o_O Sure in the past, but it's 25,000 posts later, time to move on.

I never said I deserved it nor that I was the best candidate, but I certainly could have done the job just as effectively. So bottom line, I don't get the gig because "some" wouldn't respect any decisions I had to make as a Mod. Seems to me the problem is with the "some" and not with me.

You're too polarizing Jenn, which I think you know, and you still have a lot of the 'mother hen' about you - which isn't intended as an insult (I like you), but I don't think would auger well for the spirit of the board.

Post like the above, and quite a few in this thread, are probably another reason - plenty of posters would like to do it; almost all get overlooked - male or female.

That aside, congrats to Deaneus; no idea why anyone would want to be a mod, but he is, and I'm sure will do a great job.

You're too polarizing Jenn, which I think you know, and you still have a lot of the 'mother hen' about you - which isn't intended as an insult (I like you), but I don't think would auger well for the spirit of the board.

Post like the above, and quite a few in this thread, are probably another reason - plenty of posters would like to do it; almost all get overlooked - male or female.

That aside, congrats to Deaneus; no idea why anyone would want to be a mod, but he is, and I'm sure will do a great job.

I think 'mother hen' is the particularly wrong way to state it. It's a particularly gendered term, and tends to lend weight to criticisms of the kind that Jenny is making of the moderators, and the board at large.

Yes, that is implied.

Ok. Well perhaps we agree on atleast some of the criterion to be considered.

Do you genuinely believe, based upon those identified criterion, that you are the best candidate on the board such that your non appointment is demonstrative of structural discrimination?

Also, can I address the 'that was years ago' point briefly?

I don't think you get to do that Jenny. None of us do. Sure, we shouldnt harp on years old arguments too much, but fundamentally we still own positions that we took publicly and are accountable for them. You ran, for a long time, a strident and at times aggressive defence of what most would now acknowledge to be an objectively failing club administration on this board because of your personal friendship with our then CEO. I think many would say that's a personally admirable trait, but the reason that it's personally admirable is because you had to sacrifice credibility to do so. I'm not aware of you ever resiling from the positions taken in that time. You took, for extended periods, positions that were in all appearance based upon a rejection of objectivity in favour of a subjective and personal element (friendship).

Now I don't mean that as a criticism. Many would say that's admirable trait. I respect loyalty. Yet, at the same time, if we're to assess criterion that you agreed were crucial, objectivity and a reluctance to stifle debate (even on positions that you don't agree with), your history is relevant.

I don't think you're Robinson Crusoe there. I think the way that I've posted in the past would disqualify me from being a good candidate for moderator, and for example I own my posting about van Berlo where I deliberately abandoned objectivity, as well as my particular tantrum throwing at our defeats.

As you know, I've been reluctant to engage in a public commentary on candidates. I've really really not wanted to do that. I think you deserve better than to have people fling mud at you on the forum, and I hope this doesnt come across as me doing so.

It's just that I feel compelled to give atleast some explanation now as you've raised a pretty serious allegation at the moderators, the board at large and Deaneus as the incoming moderator based upon your understood reasons why you werent appointed, and I think it might be worthwhile putting to you why there may be concern other than your gender.

Notwithstanding that, you do raise a serious issue and one that should be addressed in that this board is definitely blokey (sports culture full stop is). I'd support steps to raise our female poster numbers, and I'd also support steps to increase their participation in the board (and moderating team). Would be quite happy, for instance, to see a lot of the 'middle aged man brags about his claimed sexual prowess' posts disappear forever for instance.

Increasing diversity in a niche environment will be a challenge, but definitely one we should think about tackling. Perhaps a thread for it. Perhapa our new mod could start it... ;)

Jen - gender was utterly irrelevant.

Increasing diversity in a niche environment will be a challenge, but definitely one we should think about tackling. Perhaps a thread for it. Perhapa our new mod could start it... ;)

Jen - gender was utterly irrelevant.
Hank was very specific in his response to me as to why I was overlooked again. "ALL moderators agreed that I would do a great job and be fair and balanced." The thing that stood in my way is that you had concerns that SOME on the board might not respect decisions I had to make. As I said to Hank, since when were the lunatics running the asylum? You put more credence into what the "boys" thought, than my ability to do the job, and that speaks volumes.

Hank was very specific in his response to me as to why I was overlooked again. "ALL moderators agreed that I would do a great job and be fair and balanced." The thing that stood in my way is that you had concerns that SOME on the board might not respect decisions I had to make. As I said to Hank, since when were the lunatics running the asylum? You put more credence into what the "boys" thought, than my ability to do the job, and that speaks volumes.

One of the criteria we've had for a while in mod appointments is respect of the entire board. This isn't new.

Ok. Well perhaps we agree on atleast some of the criterion to be considered.

Do you genuinely believe, based upon those identified criterion, that you are the best candidate on the board such that your non appointment is demonstrative of structural discrimination?

Also, can I address the 'that was years ago' point briefly?

I don't think you get to do that Jenny. None of us do. Sure, we shouldnt harp on years old arguments too much, but fundamentally we still own positions that we took publicly and are accountable for them. You ran, for a long time, a strident and at times aggressive defence of what most would now acknowledge to be an objectively failing club administration on this board because of your personal friendship with our then CEO. I think many would say that's a personally admirable trait, but the reason that it's personally admirable is because you had to sacrifice credibility to do so. I'm not aware of you ever resiling from the positions taken in that time. You took, for extended periods, positions that were in all appearance based upon a rejection of objectivity in favour of a subjective and personal element (friendship).

Now I don't mean that as a criticism. Many would say that's admirable trait. I respect loyalty. Yet, at the same time, if we're to assess criterion that you agreed were crucial, objectivity and a reluctance to stifle debate (even on positions that you don't agree with), your history is relevant.

I don't think you're Robinson Crusoe there. I think the way that I've posted in the past would disqualify me from being a good candidate for moderator, and for example I own my posting about van Berlo where I deliberately abandoned objectivity, as well as my particular tantrum throwing at our defeats.

As you know, I've been reluctant to engage in a public commentary on candidates. I've really really not wanted to do that. I think you deserve better than to have people fling mud at you on the forum, and I hope this doesnt come across as me doing so.

It's just that I feel compelled to give atleast some explanation now as you've raised a pretty serious allegation at the moderators, the board at large and Deaneus as the incoming moderator based upon your understood reasons why you werent appointed, and I think it might be worthwhile putting to you why there may be concern other than your gender.

Notwithstanding that, you do raise a serious issue and one that should be addressed in that this board is definitely blokey (sports culture full stop is). I'd support steps to raise our female poster numbers, and I'd also support steps to increase their participation in the board (and moderating team). Would be quite happy, for instance, to see a lot of the 'middle aged man brags about his claimed sexual prowess' posts disappear forever for instance.
I want to thank you, sincerely, for taking the time out to respond in such a thoughtful way.

I do want to say this. I think it's incredibly unfair to take an episode from two years ago, and hold that up as relevant to my current posting habits or ability to be objective. There have been 25,000 posts since then. Surely judge based on that body of work, and not what came before it? People change, mature, learn. I hope I've done all of these things since then.

I've not made any comments other than positive ones towards Deaneus. He's a good appointment and I said so. I couldn't see why we both couldn't have been appointed as someone else suggested.

Just a thought but openly questioning of the other mods in a public setting kind of casts doubt on your ability to work well with them as a team.

That being said, perhaps you need to ask yourself WHY you want to be a mod so badly? Is it because you feel the others aren't doing a good job? is it because you feel you bring a skillset to the role that they currently lack? Or do you just want the title/power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back