News Plugger to Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

According to these TV news reports Plugger agreed to a deal with Richmond when he was leaving the Saints. The reports say he agreed to play for Richmond and the two clubs just had to arrange a deal.

Funny I don't remember this at all. Anyone know why the deal fell through?

Go Saints

The thing I find interesting is at the time he said he wanted to leave the Saints for Sydney so he could not have to deal with all the fan craziness and wanted more privacy. Surely he wouldn't have got that at Richmond.

Go Saints

Tis true as bizarre as it sounds!
What's even more disturbing is that he was then offered
To Collingwood of all teams, according to Leigh Matthews
Who was understandably desperate to acquire him once he knew
Their was a big possibility of it happening as apparently Plugger
Had agreed terms with Leigh, only for the dumbest most moronic
Move ever by a president for the then Magpie chief Alan I'm a complete
F*ckwit Mccalister to vetoe the move because he didn't think
Lockett was of get this, Magpie quality in character! lol

Thank F*ck for mine and most Saints fans sanity in the end.
Don't think i could have coped with that tbh!
Matthews went on to say, he knew his time at the filth was up
When he could be vetoed on what he termed an absolute
No brainer! All respect for Mccalister and the Coll board went out
The window that day he lamented!

Can you just imagine the HORROR of what Plugger in black and white
Would have been!
I'm actually nauseous just thinking about it all again!

Yeah I remember hearing rumours Macalister at Collingwood wasn't keen .
But I don't know how serious the clubs were to actually doing a trade.
But I definitely remember the breaking news on Plugger to Richmond.
One of the news papers even had a pic of him in a Richmond jumper ( can't remember if a real jumper or a digitally enhanced pic).
Then I think deal fell through cos we played hardball and wanted a young Matty Knights or Wayne Campbell as part of a deal and Richmond said a big NO.
Then talks fell through and the deal never happened.
Nek Minit Plugger was a Swan.
That's how I always remembered it .

Yeah I remember hearing rumours Macalister at Collingwood wasn't keen .
But I don't know how serious the clubs were to actually doing a trade.
But I definitely remember the breaking news on Plugger to Richmond.
One of the news papers even had a pic of him in a Richmond jumper ( can't remember if a real jumper or a digitally enhanced pic).
Then I think deal fell through cos we played hardball and wanted a young Matty Knights or Wayne Campbell as part of a deal and Richmond said a big NO.
Then talks fell through and the deal never happened.
Nek Minit Plugger was a Swan.
That's how I always remembered it .

That’s right. Saints quite rightly demanded Knights and Campbell in exchange and the Tigers baulked. They clearly weren’t desperate enough to get him because it was clear they were going to have to bleed in any trade.

Ron Joseph said Lockett was convinced to go to Sydney after he fired in one last offer after Lockett had knocked Sydney back a few times. The $$$ we’re obviously irresistible so Plugger changed his mind.

At the time Sydney had a stack of 1st RDPs and I think the Saints were offered a few of those, plus it’s possible the AFL assisted the club financially.

From memory the 1995 draft saw St Kilda draft Jones, Smith and Brown, but I stand to be corrected.

That’s right. Saints quite rightly demanded Knights and Campbell in exchange and the Tigers baulked. They clearly weren’t desperate enough to get him because it was clear they were going to have to bleed in any trade.

Ron Joseph said Lockett was convinced to go to Sydney after he fired in one last offer after Lockett had knocked Sydney back a few times. The $$$ we’re obviously irresistible so Plugger changed his mind.

At the time Sydney had a stack of 1st RDPs and I think the Saints were offered a few of those, plus it’s possible the AFL assisted the club financially.

From memory the 1995 draft saw St Kilda draft Jones, Smith and Brown, but I stand to be corrected.
Yep that's right!
So it was Rich first, that deal fell over then the Coll interest which apparently we
Had even agreed on ( unbelievably) thankfully Mccalister's incompetence saw an end
To that. Then like St Neil correctly points out eventually Joseph and Barassi finally
Convinced him to go to Syd!

The worst part of all this was our willingness to get rid of him at the Time!
Not Stan he desperately wanted to keep hold of him but our brain dead board
Saw him as trouble at StKilda as he had missed a fair chunk of footy in 93 and 94
And at the time he was incredibly scapegoated as our Big problem! :mad:

It took Oakley and the AFL to step in and make sure we were properly
Compensated as our own moronic board were so desperate to have him gone
That the first 2 options were even possible in the first place!
Fwiw Lockett himself did not want to go initially, but was then persuaded
That it was best for all parties!

History tells us we got Jones, Smith and Brown out of it and within a couple
Of years we were suddenly a formidable side!
More blind batshit luck than any masterful strategy!

As for Plugger within 12 Months at the then basket case Syd
He almost singlehandly had them in a Grand Final
So of course the Media at the time mainly AFL choir boy and secret
Saints hater Mike Sheahan championed the trade and hailed it as win/win!

Yep that's right!
So it was Rich first, that deal fell over then the Coll interest which apparently we
Had even agreed on ( unbelievably) thankfully Mccalister's incompetence saw an end
To that. Then like St Neil correctly points out eventually Joseph and Barassi finally
Convinced him to go to Syd!

The worst part of all this was our willingness to get rid of him at the Time!
Not Stan he desperately wanted to keep hold of him but our brain dead board
Saw him as trouble at StKilda as he had missed a fair chunk of footy in 93 and 94
And at the time he was incredibly scapegoated as our Big problem! :mad:

It took Oakley and the AFL to step in and make sure we were properly
Compensated as our own moronic board were so desperate to have him gone
That the first 2 options were even possible in the first place!
Fwiw Lockett himself did not want to go initially, but was then persuaded
That it was best for all parties!

History tells us we got Jones, Smith and Brown out of it and within a couple
Of years we were suddenly a formidable side!
More blind batshit luck than any masterful strategy!

As for Plugger within 12 Months at the then basket case Syd
He almost singlehandly had them in a Grand Final
So of course the Media at the time mainly AFL choir boy and secret
Saints hater Mike Sheahan championed the trade and hailed it as win/win!
I didn’t know. There’s incompetence, then there’s this. Surely no one could be that stupid that they couldn’t see this man as one of the great match winners of all time. Reeks of a small minded person on a personal vendetta.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was heartbreaking, only in 1997 did I recover.

I recall at the time that a supporter's group formed and aimed to raise enough money to keep Plugger and match lucrative offers. It was reported that the Club told them to back off, that they wanted to move him on.

Ken Sheldon claims his departure resulted from tensions arising from the Club wanting to move on Plugger at the end of 1993.

Lamentable stuff. Just goes to show that we need to be vigilant about who runs our Club, because we unfortunately do have a history of some self serving, pointless d**kheads running our Club.

Of course the same idiots probably slapped themselves on the back when we got to the '97 GF, but it had nothing to do with them. They can thank Stan Alves, who they constantly undermined, for that. Then they scapegoated and shafted him the next year.

Thank God, GT and Butters saved our Club.

And after some spectacular ineptitude from Westaway and Nettlefold, let's hope that Mr Bassat takes us in the right direction. He's had a reasonable start, fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back