Pluto, aka The Thread With Cahill, Snelling, Poster Resumes, Heat Maps & Associated Crap

Remove this Banner Ad

That role is apart of the small forwards group role

Not many small forwards don't get up the ground. We no longer have forwards just purely staying deep. All small forwards get up the ground - Snelling like Tippa is one of them

That role is apart of the small forwards group role

Not many small forwards don't get up the ground. We no longer have forwards just purely staying deep. All small forwards get up the ground - Snelling like Tippa is one of them

Except Snelling and Tippungwuti play clearly different roles.

One plays as a true small forward, the other plays as a high half-forward / midfielder.

Except Snelling and Tippungwuti play clearly different roles.

One plays as a true small forward, the other plays as a high half-forward / midfielder.
Walla definitely spends more time taking creative shots from the pocket, but he's also used in the midfield to harass the ball-carrier and attends centre bounces sometimes. He's predominantly a creative small forward + rotating inside, and was our second highest goalkicker this year after Stringer.

Snelling sits off the ball and tackles/harrasses the ball carrier anywhere between half-forward and half-back. Also a decent shot for goal but doesn't spend a lot of time within 30m of them. His role doesn't really fit into the old role descriptors, as he's effectively a follower but he's not supposed to get the ball (much). It's a modern pressure-focused role which appears to be motivated by mars bars.

Smith is the in-between. Spends some time harassing the ballcarrier between the defensive arc and half-forward, a bit of time at the centre bounce, and stabs at goal when he's near the sticks. I guess he's more of an outside mid/forward + rotating inside.

Being under 6' and kicking at least ten goals is a very rudimentary set of parameters that could apply to Parish as easily as it applies to Snelling though. You can argue it's technically accurate as Parish does sometimes play as a small forward, but as far as a useful category for comparing players? It is not.

What a bizarre conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snelling:

View attachment 1277661

Tipungwuti:

View attachment 1277660

It is okay to be wrong now and then.
Never said they play the same role. Both are small forwards. We know we have deeper forwards and higher forwards.

The argument is that Snelling is a small forward, whether that's high or not is irrelevant

He's not an onballer, wingman

He goes off the ground and 90% of the time a forward comes on. He comes on 90% of the time when a forward 6 player comes off

If he's not a small forward in the year gone then I don't know what he is

Our Tall Fwds: Francis, HJ, Wright
Small Fwds: Snelling, Tippa, Perkins, Dev Smith ect

Pretty easy question Lore

He didn't play as an inside midfielder
No one is claiming that Snelling is an inside midfielder. This entire discussion is ridiculous and circular. Snelling is not the same player as Walla. They are about as similar to each other as either of them are to Darcy Parish. The entire thing is stupid. Let it go.

Your talking roles. I'm talking Small forward/Tall Fwd, Outside mid/Inside Mid, Small Def/Tall Def. I'm not talking from the sense their is another option besides Ruck

He was a high small forward last year was he not?

Yes/no

No, he wasn't playing the same role as Tipungwuti.

Snelling plays as an extra midfielder starting from the half-forward line, you can name that role whatever you like.

Aside from being named in the forward-line on the team sheet, and starting from inside the forward 50 at centre bounces due to 6-6-6 requirements, he's not really a forward at all.

Snelling:

View attachment 1277661

Tipungwuti:

View attachment 1277660

It is okay to be wrong now and then.

No, he wasn't playing the same role as Tipungwuti.

Snelling plays as an extra midfielder starting from the half-forward line, you can name that role whatever you like.

Aside from being named in the forward-line on the team sheet, and starting from inside the forward 50 at centre bounces due to 6-6-6 requirements, he's not really a forward at all.

So how many forwards do we play each game including bench. I think that will clear it up

I see us as always playing 7 forwards, 7 defenders and 8 midfielders (Incl Ruck)

Do you think we only play 4 forwards each game? If so then we just define things differently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back