Phantom Draft PMBangers 2019 Draft Thread - 2020 Rankings included

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, I can see how those picks backfiring would make Freo fans reluctant to want Jackson, can't say I went too far back with my research so you got me with Longmuir, Polak and Murphy. Apeness was a riddled with injuries so an unfortunate case there. Can't really argue in hindsight about selections made, I personally had Naughton as the best pick for 5 in 2017 but I know that wasn't an unanimous view so can't criticise that either

I won't criticise selections late in the draft either as talls around then are speculative at best, which really leaves me with nothing to go on. End of the day even if you can't agree Jackson is a need then you have to see that he is in the conversation as best available, which is what a lot of clubs look at for those top 10 selections
Darcy and Lobb will be pretty good Ruck compo.

We can’t fit Taberner, Hogan, Cox, Lobb, Darcy and McCarthy in the same team.

Jackson would just add to the queue.

If you go on our list management and draft posts, most Fremantle posters agree with you regarding Jackson.

If Fremantle call out Jackson I won't be disappointed (unless Stephens is till available). There will be a big question for me about what role he plays and that will be a point of interest for years. I'm not convinced he will be our best option, but pretty exciting.

Final Phantom has been uploaded in the first 4 posts. Worth noting as well I originally had Luke Partington going to Essendon with their last selection, but thought more realistically he's one that likely gets signed straight to a list through SSP

Last edited:

What’s your thinking with Byrnes selection at our third pick?
Brisbane have a pretty complete list if you redraft Smith imo and Byrnes was my best available so thought I'd slap him on in there, think if given the opportunity him and Rantall would be a good centre square duo, with Byrnes the more outside of the two but probably the smarter footballer. TBH, and I think you've seen my post on the Gold Coast Board, I expect the Suns to trade up around the region to get him but since I didn't have trading in my phantom it didn't eventuate.

Brisbane have a pretty complete list if you redraft Smith imo and Byrnes was my best available so thought I'd slap him on in there, think if given the opportunity him and Rantall would be a good centre square duo, with Byrnes the more outside of the two but probably the smarter footballer. TBH, and I think you've seen my post on the Gold Coast Board, I expect the Suns to trade up around the region to get him but since I didn't have trading in my phantom it didn't eventuate.
Haven’t seen your post on the Suns board yet.

I liked your first two picks for us. I’m just not sure I’d be going another mid for us there.

I’d probably look at one of Georgiades, Perez or Bryan.

Or something completely different, and offer our pick 34 and 2020 first round pick to Fremantle for their 2020 first round pick and pick 58.

First night doine and dusted, went pretty similar to how it was expected to (at least how we mostly expected from earlier today) up until Geelong. I'll go through my thoughts and grading of each club that selected.

Adelaide
Fischer McAsey (My Ranking:11) , A
Think Adelaide did really well picking up McAsey considering the age of their KPD stocks. Clear best KPD in the draft. I still think Stephens would've been the choice if available but it wasn't meant to be obviously. With Adelaide's track record developing talls I'm excited to see what McAsey will turn into

Carlton
Brodie Kemp (8), Sam Philp (40) B
The Kemp selection is my favourite bargain of the first round, was likely their choice at 9 so being able to get him at 17 is a massive win. Philp I'm not too sure about, feel like, especially with Kemp, their inside mid stocks are fine without him and someone for the forward line or backline would've been a better selection. A potential over performance selection imo. In saying that he's shown elite athleticism in his testing, so if they can get that to translate on field they'll be very pleased

Fremantle
Hayden Young (3), Caleb Serong (13), Liam Henry (14) A
Three high quality players, obvious from my personal rankings I see Serong as a reach but still think it's a good pick considering the role he'll play being one that Freo do well with. Young I can't speak of highly enough, he's an elite kick and will be a starting 22 player, hopefully allowing Wilson and Luke Ryan more rebounding freedom. Henry is the outside class and small forward they're also lacking, and a bargain considering where the picks they used to match laid

Hawthorn
Will Day (22) B
I'll start off by saying on potential I don't hate this selection, and if any club is going to get him to a high level it's Hawthorn. I think there were better performed players available that'd play the same role, also expected to see them trade back into the first round for a Kemp or Robertson type of Slider, but didn't grade them lower for that

Geelong
Cooper Stephens (18), Sam De Koning (39) B-
The Stephens pick I really like, showed in his games last year and early on this year how damaging, especially around stoppages, he can be, and if fit can see him fitting into Geelongs best 22 early on. SDK I'm not as high on as others are, thinnk he has potenntial but the same things people rate Worrell lower for I think he's deficient in, another potential over performance selection imo

Gold Coast
Matthew Rowell (1), Noah Anderson (2), Sam Flanders (10) A+
Were never going to fail with 1 and 2, but I really like the trade up for Flanders to add something different to that forwardline, which could potentially mean Lukosious, King, Rankine, Anderson and Flanders all play in the same forwardline next year, which is very exciting for them. Picks ended up being Kemp, and by extension Philp, but again not going to grade them any differently for that

GWS
Lachie Ash (5), Thomas Green (6) A
Another team that wasn't going to fail with their pick placement. Ash or Young were perfect in different ways and we opted with Ash which I'm not disappointed about, his zip out of the backline is something we've missed since the departure of Wilson, should be best 22 right away. Green sliding to Pick 10 is also a big win considering most expected a bid at 5

Melbourne
Luke Jackson (7), Kysaiaih Pickett (41) C+
The expected picks but still a little underwhelming. Jackson pick I like a lot more than Pickett as he's largely untapped, did so well this year in his first year committed to football, so the development left in him is higher than most others, especially as a Tall Forward. Pickett, as you can see I don't have high at all, I rate his aggressiveness and XFactor however most small forward have what he has in ways, if this pick was Weightman Melbourne's grade would've been higher

Port Adelaide
Miles Bergman (31), Mitchell Georgiades (unranked due to lack of vision) C
Two players I don't think should've been first round selections, Bergman has a pinpoint kick over distance, and a great leap which are awesome traits but his inconsistency and endurance worry me. As I've said with many others strikes me as a potential based pick. Georgiades I can't comment on too much, but thought he'd be more of a mid-late second rounder

Richmond
Thomson Dow (36) C
Potential over performance again, athletically gifted and will take some development but Richmond are one of the few teams that can afford to take such a prospect. Was watching and expecting Richmond to get a third slider in a row with Dev Robertson, and for the comps sake I'm glad they didn't.

Sydney
Dylan Stephens (4) A
Surprised they didn't go with Robertson or Flanders but really rate the Stephens selection who brings a bit of outside class and speed that they lack going through the middle as it stands, perfect for them when I think about it

Western Bulldogs
Cody Weightman (28) B
My highest rated Small Forward overall and fits the dogs needs perfectly. As soon as Dees locked in Pickett I think they should've looked to trade back to the early 20's (Adelaide might've been an option?) since there didn't seem to be too much interest from other clubs in that range, but a good addition anyway

Ultimately hesitant to call anyone a reach,as recruiters know far more than me, but with the selections made I see a lot of value in the second round and think there'll be a bit of early trading. My top 5 ranked players left: Deven Robertson (9), Finn Maginess (14), Will Gould (15), Jeremy Sharp (16), Trent Bianco (17)

A few days late (damn uni assignments) but I'm gonna go through my gradings for each clubs draft just for a different perspective, my personal rankings in brackets, overagers I don't rank that's why they're missing the rankings

Adelaide: Fischer McAsey (11), Harry Schoenberg (27), Josh Worrell (25), Ronin O'Connor (50+), Lachlan Gollant (50+) B
Brisbane: Deven Robertson (9), Brock Smith (43), Keidean Coleman, Jaxon Prior (50+) B+
Carlton: Brodie Kemp (8), Sam Philp (40), Sam Ramsay (50+) B
Collingwood: Jay Rantall (24), Trent Bianco (17), Trey Ruscoe (45) A
Essendon: Harrison Jones (46), Nick Bryan (50+), Ned Cahill (50+), Lachlan Johnson (50+) C-
Fremantle: Hayden Young (3), Caleb Serong (13), Liam Henry (12), Minairol Fredrick A+
Geelong: Cooper Stephens (18), Sam De Koning (39), Francis Evans (50+), Cameron Taheny (29) B
Gold Coast: Matt Rowell (1), Noah Anderson (2), Sam Flanders (10), Jeremy Sharp (16), Jy Farrar A+
GWS: Lachlan Ash (5), Tom Green (6), Jake Riccardi, Tom Hutchesson A
Hawthorn: Will Day (22), Finn Maginess (14), Josh Morris (50+) B
Melbourne: Luke Jackson (7), Kysaiah Pickett (41), Trent Rivers (21) B
North Melbourne: Charlie Comben (50+), Jack Mahony (42), Flynn Perez (unranked due to lack of vision) C-
Port Adelaide: Miles Bergman (31), Mitch Georgiades (unranked due to lack of vision), Dylan Williams (30), Jackson Mead (20) B
Richmond: Thomson Dow (36), Noah Cumberland (33), Will Martyn (50+), Hugo Ralphsmith (50+), Bigoa Nyguen (50+) B-
St Kilda: Ryan Byrnes (19), Leo Connolly (50+) B
Sydney: Dylan Stephens (4), Will Gould (15), Elijah Taylor (26), Chad Warner (50+) A
West Coast: Callum Jamieson (50+), Ben Johnson (50+) B
Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman (28), Louis Butler (50+), Riley Garcia (35) A

Hi PMBangers, WCE were obviously minor players this year after the Kelly trade but I was pleased to see us get O’Neill. I see that you rated him quite highly. What are your thoughts on his game, his season and why you think he slid so far?

Hi PMBangers, WCE were obviously minor players this year after the Kelly trade but I was pleased to see us get O’Neill. I see that you rated him quite highly. What are your thoughts on his game, his season and why you think he slid so far?
Really good outside rover/winger, slid because he was injured and appeared slow as a result i'd say, can't see any other reason he'd slide so I can only assume it was his height or interviewing that let him down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 Rankings
Screenshot_20191203-084956_Sheets.jpg

Thought I'd jump on the 2020 rankings bandwagon, haven't seen too much outside of NAB League, Champs or Futures games, hence Trew and Baldwin not making it in, but I have noted that they're likely in there and I need to findmore footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back