Draft Watcher PMBangers 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right, IF Adelaide finish last with pick 1, I think it's nearly guaranteed they go Thilthorpe with JUH being bid on at 2, but any other club could be more open and pick between JUH and Phillips or Thilthorpe, that's my guess
When Adelaide finish last, they'll bid on the best player.

If all media reports are JUH is the best and Adelaide DON'T bid on him, they'll have their fans consider them incompetent. Bid on a player and force a club to use their picks.

Last year, the Crows didn't bid on Green because they had completed a trade with GWS. If they do the same with the WBDs, then perhaps they don't bid.

I still think Hollands could be there abouts, so realistically Thiltorpe, Phillips or Hopllands for me, just don't see any benefit in bidding on JUH at 1
It moves later Crows picks up?

It forces the Bulldogs to trade?

JUH is considered the best, and you don't want to look like an idiot?

On the other hand it could lower the pressure that’s put on Thilthorpe (presuming he gets taken at 1), as we’ve seen in the past the extra pressure that gets put on the number 1 pick. Plus you can imagine the stories sections of the media will be writing comparing players, if JUL turns into the player we think he will. If you let the bulldogs take him at 1 after bidding, it could make his career a whole lot easier in the development years.
Agreed.

The first year in history that the Crows have pick 1 and they draft a South Australian? The pressure on that kid will be enormous.

It moves later Crows picks up?

It forces the Bulldogs to trade?

JUH is considered the best, and you don't want to look like an idiot?
a bid is going to come for JUH in the top 3 regardless of if Adelaide do it or not, I don't think they're going to be that worried if they're not placing the bid.

Each to their own, the discussion on it's been interesting regardless

Would you want to take Kaine Baldwin and risk it?
Nooooo.

No acl injuries.

I’ be surprised if we take both picks to the draft.

I’m hoping we have a trade lined up for someone who’s best 22.

Or if we can package both picks and trade up. Possibly for Logan McDonald, if he shows genuine contested marking ability, bringing the ball to ground, and second efforts.

We don’t place much emphasis on leading in to space with our forwards (much to the annoyance of many Lions fans).

Maybe those guys will leave then?
I believe the most likely to leave will be Birchall.

We’ll see how long Fagan will persist with him.

On the other hand it could lower the pressure that’s put on Thilthorpe (presuming he gets taken at 1), as we’ve seen in the past the extra pressure that gets put on the number 1 pick. Plus you can imagine the stories sections of the media will be writing comparing players, if JUL turns into the player we think he will. If you let the bulldogs take him at 1 after bidding, it could make his career a whole lot easier in the development years.

This is my view to.

The pressure and scrutiny on the #1 pick is enormous, few actually live up to it.

If they don’t bid on JUH it actually probably increases the scrutiny on someone like Thilthorpe as almost a false #1.

They should put all the pressure on the Dogs and JUH.

The dogs will have to trade to get some currency as well, otherwise it will effect their 2021 draft.

The thing to keep in mind is that the job of a full time recruiter goes beyond watching games on the weekend and seeing who stands out.
They then pour over footage of individuals to look at what they do off the ball, do interviews with schools, coaches and families. Do psychological assessments find footage of other matches and go over notes.

They have a finite amount of time and don't put much energy into academy prospects of they know there's no chance of getting them.

When their pick comes around in the draft they'll have a list of players that they've studied and invested in. Unless those players are gone or there is a big gulf in talent they'll be reluctant to take a lesser known academy prospect.

This year might be a bit different with the lack of junior footy played and recruiting staff being stood down by we'll just have to wait and see.

a bid is going to come for JUH in the top 3 regardless of if Adelaide do it or not, I don't think they're going to be that worried if they're not placing the bid.

Each to their own, the discussion on it's been interesting regardless
Agreed, if not pick 1 likely pick 2 (Swans)

Each year the number 1 draft pick is awarded a $10,000 NAB investment portfolio, by bidding on the dogs academy player you are in affect paying the dogs and there academy player $10,000 outside the salary cap whilst denying the player you select an additional financial reward.

Ok, now this is a little tidbit that would change my mind on the "you'd be mad to not bid on JUH at pick one" comment.

I'm not super in the know about this years draft- is there much outside run talent available?

That's a shame- I know Downie is considered an outside mid by some, but it'd be nice if we could add someone else on top of him to our winger stocks.
Do you mean outside run as in wing and speed, or a quality outside ball user?

From all reports, Downie is a decent prospect, but doesn’t have genuine outside speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not super in the know about this years draft- is there much outside run talent available?
No one with blistering pace that uses it consistently really, some good users on the outside however

My poor excuses are; 1. I was thinking exclusively of midfielders and 2. I didn't have my spreadsheet/ notes up

But yes twas a blunder
Well the first two that came to mind for me were Joshua Clarke at Eastern and Harry Sharp at the Rebels.

But not sure they’re the type of players the op might be looking for.

Each year the number 1 draft pick is awarded a $10,000 NAB investment portfolio, by bidding on the dogs academy player you are in affect paying the dogs and there academy player $10,000 outside the salary cap whilst denying the player you select an additional financial reward.
I was digging around in the CBA for something else and came across the below. I reckon that NAB portfolio might just be a sponsorship attached to the pick 1 entitlement.

1594965079722.png

1594965088842.png
1594965097285.png

Logan McDonald is a hard one for me to rank, I really like what he does at his best but find his leading patterns can be a bit awkward at times, whilst it isn't a problem at this level at AFL level I think it will hamper him if he doesn't improve

End of July Rankings
2020 july-aug.png

End of July Rankings, easily the most difficult rankings I've ever done, feels weird dropping kids from VIC with no footy but felt there's been enough sliding around to warrant an update. I debated the validity of a top 20 with a chunk of the talent pool not playing, from here on I might change how I structure my rankings, maybe exclude Vic Metro kids or do a top 5 for each champs team, will wait and see

Berry, Ford and Macrae all drop out because of lack of exposure, although I don't think it'll be long until Berry returns once Country footy resumes.
Baldwin with his two knee injuries drops him out automatically for me, unsure on how it will effect him in an actual draft.

Some notes on certain players-

Campbell has been doing well for Pennant Hills (although a low quality competition, take from that what you will), showing his class and composure against bigger bodies which was my main query on him. Hitting the scoreboard too whilst playing as a full time mid

McDonald jumps the most, wasn't too shocked with his goal tallies, what I wanted to see was improvement in contested marking and leading which he's done well, not far behind JUH or Thilthorpe now

Trew, O'Driscoll, Bruhn and McInnes were closely rated in my last rankings, two VICs drop for obvious reasons, Trew overtakes O'Driscoll dued to performing better in U19's, pretty surprised O'Driscoll didn't get to start in the 1's

Callow and Davis (as well as Menzie and Walker, but they're not in my top 20) have been performing well in TSL, but again lower standard of Comp so grain of salt. Davis seems to be getting tagged from what I've seen (happy tobe corrected)

Jones and Dumesny have been doing well at senior level, Poulter has been exceptional in the 19s, want to see him get some reserves or 1s games soon before moving him any higher

View attachment 919594

End of July Rankings, easily the most difficult rankings I've ever done, feels weird dropping kids from VIC with no footy but felt there's been enough sliding around to warrant an update.

Berry, Ford and Macrae all drop out because of lack of exposure, although I don't think it'll be long until Berry returns once Country footy resumes.
Baldwin with his two knee injuries drops him out automatically for me, unsure on how it will effect him in an actual draft.

Some notes on certain players-

Campbell has been doing well for Pennant Hills (although a low quality competition, take from that what you will), showing his class and composure against bigger bodies which was my main query on him. Hitting the scoreboard too whilst playing as a full time mid

McDonald jumps the most, wasn't too shocked with his goal tallies, what I wanted to see was improvement in contested marking and leading which he's done well, not far behind JUH or Thilthorpe now

Trew, O'Driscoll, Bruhn and McInnes were closely rated in my last rankings, two VICs drop for obvious reasons, Trew overtakes O'Driscoll dued to performing better in U19's, pretty surprised O'Driscoll didn't get to start in the 1's

Callow and Davis (as well as Menzie and Walker, but they're not in my top 20) have been performing well in TSL, but again lower standard of Comp so grain of salt. Davis seems to be getting tagged from what I've seen (happy tobe corrected)

Jones and Dumesny have been doing well at senior level, Poulter has been exceptional in the 19s, want to see him get some reserves or 1s games soon before moving him any higher
Just on O’Driscoll he had some injury concerns coming into the season so is a bit behind some others but yesterday showed he is getting back into the groove

Just on O’Driscoll he had some injury concerns coming into the season so is a bit behind some others but yesterday showed he is getting back into the groove
Hadn't seen anything about that, thanks for the update. Looking forward to him and Trew hopefully pushing for 1s selection, I think at that level O'Driscoll will look better than Trew just because of the size and aggressiveness

Hadn't seen anything about that, thanks for the update. Looking forward to him and Trew hopefully pushing for 1s selection, I think at that level O'Driscoll will look better than Trew just because of the size and aggressiveness
Trew wont get much out of getting smashed every week at 18s level so would be better for him than anything to play league

Trew wont get much out of getting smashed every week at 18s level so would be better for him than anything to play league
Is Trew going to get the opportunity to play majority of his time in the midfield at Senior Level? Don't really know what SD's stocks are like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back