Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

What does this mean? Is his foot still growing? :D

Last month:

Callaghan starts a list of many top prospects who have sustained injuries over the last month, with inflation in his foot leading to some time on the sidelines. The Sandringham Dragons product was due to line up for Vic Metro before his foot flared up, but is on track to return to NAB League action in a couple of weeks as finals get underway.

What does this mean? Is his foot still growing? :D

Last month:

Callaghan starts a list of many top prospects who have sustained injuries over the last month, with inflation in his foot leading to some time on the sidelines. The Sandringham Dragons product was due to line up for Vic Metro before his foot flared up, but is on track to return to NAB League action in a couple of weeks as finals get underway.
Inflamation*

The bloke in charge of those articles is a bit of a spud 🤗

View attachment 1194250
So another monthly update with not much movement overall, dropped from 25 to 20, mainly because that 20-35 bracket is ridiculously hard to rank as it stands, so much so that when looking over notes, reviewing old or watching new vision Murley was 4 different players over the weekend. Williams, Van Rooyen and Fahey have dropped out of my top 20 in favour of Ward, Amiss and Brown who I feel have all been going along nicely for most of the season but particularly this past month have shown more appealing traits (Amiss I also hadn't seen much of, but with the 3 WA 19s games I've got a good gauge now), whilst the others are regressing in their performances, especially with Van Rooyen and Williams in those Under 19's games. As usual happy to field questions on rankings and I know some of the numbers on the graphic are hard to read soz

Nick Daicos - Collingwood Father Son, Sam Darcy - Western Bulldogs Father Son, Mac Andrew - Melbourne Next Generation Academy

Love your stuff mate - very easy to read and digest. I love how much Goater can do considering his size. Big midfielders are (hopefully) the new meta coming through (i.e Jarrod Berry, Ben King types who are big but also compete at ground level)

Love your stuff mate - very easy to read and digest. I love how much Goater can do considering his size. Big midfielders are (hopefully) the new meta coming through (i.e Jarrod Berry, Ben King types who are big but also compete at ground level)
His versatility holds him in goodstead too, shown a lot off half back and up forward to which gives him the ability to impact early on should he be fit enough

His versatility holds him in goodstead too, shown a lot off half back and up forward to which gives him the ability to impact early on should he be fit enough

That's exactly what those bottom 4-6 clubs seem to always need, a versatile player that can fit one of the multiple holes they usually have in the squad. I don't want to speak it into existence but I think he might fit in at the Hawks or even the Pies

That's exactly what those bottom 4-6 clubs seem to always need, a versatile player that can fit one of the multiple holes they usually have in the squad. I don't want to speak it into existence but I think he might fit in at the Hawks or even the Pies
It's curious what the pies do in general, may trade their 2022 first after a bid for Daicos to try and get a top ender

It's curious what the pies do in general, may trade their 2022 first after a bid for Daicos to try and get a top ender

I don't think they expected to be where they are, the higher their pick the less of a deficit they go into, right? I can't see them taking the risk on anyone other than Daicos, but man how they rebuild/redirect in 2022 will be interesting. In fairness, if they can fix their forward line and entry into F50, they could do a melbourne and jump right back into top 8 contention. Big IF, though.

I don't think they expected to be where they are, the higher their pick the less of a deficit they go into, right? I can't see them taking the risk on anyone other than Daicos, but man how they rebuild/redirect in 2022 will be interesting. In fairness, if they can fix their forward line and entry into F50, they could do a melbourne and jump right back into top 8 contention. Big IF, though.
They don't have their own first or second rounder this year unfortunately, so their own finishing position is rather inconsequential

They don't have their own first or second rounder this year unfortunately, so their own finishing position is rather inconsequential

Oh wow I didn’t realise that. Yikes that future looks even bleaker :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re still getting a top end first round talent in Daicos and a second round talent in Dib.

The reason they traded those picks is because they just would have been used in matching bids anyway.

But if they don’t have the 1/2 how are they gonna match an early bid? With what capital?

But if they don’t have the 1/2 how are they gonna match an early bid? With what capital?
They'll be able to go into defecit for it, but theres plenty of time, they're going to get more points in during trade/ pick exchange period

If there ends up being no carnival, I can see Darcy dropping a few spots but there is no chance Daicos slips beyond a pick 1 bid.

If you look at the top of the draft page, there’s a sticky that shows team’s current picks.

Collingwood have multiple 3rd and 4th round picks.

And as PMBangers mentioned, there’s still the trade period, where Collingwood likely trade out a couple of players for more picks (points).

And if it looks like Collingwood is going to take a deficit on their first pick in 2022, they might try and trade it for an early first round pick in this year’s draft, after matching the bid on Daicos.

I can certainly make a case for Gold Coast trading their first round pick this year, for Collingwood’s future first round pick.

I can certainly make a case for Gold Coast trading their first round pick this year, for Collingwood’s future first round pick.

I’ll be one of many supporters who will be absolutely disappointed if we do that and essentially make the same mistake yet again.

Particularly if a key position player emerges that could be available at that pick next year.

Last edited:
There was discussion around pulling all the champs teams into a hub and get the games done in the space of a week which is probably the most preferable thing at this stage, although tricky with a lot of the kids still in Year 12 and exams approaching.

In the context of Darcy, I don't see a lack of champs effecting his position given that, and I'll harp on about it forever, you look for traits in game for KPP's, Darcy's shown a lot of good traits in the backline, ruck and forwardline, consistently along with some dominant performances.

In the context of Darcy, I don't see a lack of champs effecting his position given that, and I'll harp on about it forever, you look for traits in game for KPP's, Darcy's shown a lot of good traits in the backline, ruck and forwardline, consistently along with some dominant performances.

I’d argue a lack of champs could help Darcy. His stocks have never been higher. And without them, he’d go unchallenged as the top tall.

But I don’t think he’s as good as some of the highly rated talls from previous drafts. Playing against better opposition and better defensive structures at the champs potentially could expose his weaknesses. The Bulldogs aren’t passing on him, so clubs might not bother bidding on someone who’s good, not great.

I’d argue a lack of champs could help Darcy. His stocks have never been higher. And without them, he’d go unchallenged as the top tall.

But I don’t think he’s as good as some of the highly rated talls from previous drafts. Playing against better opposition and better defensive structures at the champs potentially could expose his weaknesses. The Bulldogs aren’t passing on him, so clubs might not bother bidding on someone who’s good, not great.
No doubt on him not being as good as some previous talls, I don't think he necessarily goes higher than any of the guys taken in last years top 10, maybe Reid? but even in comparison to Reid he's probably not as athletic. Personally, and it's probably a little bias given VIC footy is what I watch the most of, I can't think of champs team with a proper answer for Darcy in terms of personnel outside of Gibcus, as a team WA have a strong backline and might be able to negate him that way but I don't think SA or the Allies quite have it in them to stop him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back