Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Can I ask what you deem as a fair trade for pick 10 if Fremantle decided to trade down?
Depends with who, but I think the trend for draft night trades is the team moving up has to overpay, generally because there's that certainty of getting the player you want, so if it was Sydney for example I'd say their 16 + Melbourne's Future 1st for Pick 10 and a third (present or future) would be what I'd consider fair

Polo342

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Depends with who, but I think the trend for draft night trades is the team moving up has to overpay, generally because there's that certainty of getting the player you want, so if it was Sydney for example I'd say their 16 + Melbourne's Future 1st for Pick 10 and a third (present or future) would be what I'd consider fair
Agreed here!! I doubt Fremantle would actually entertain the trade though because of where the WA talent sits this year and the drop off in talent after the top 12

Polo342

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly I’m resigned to Brisbane selecting Van Rooyen at our first pick, then whoever is left on board out of Wilmot or Chesser at our second pick.
Van-Rooyen wasn't invited to opening draft night events mate. Do you think your definitely gonna pick him? :S

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Van-Rooyen wasn't invited to opening draft night events mate. Do you think your definitely gonna pick him? :S
Draft night invites aren't everything to be fair, plenty examples of invitees not going in the first and people not getting invited being taken

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Freo could get a Kings ransom if Ward and Gibcus were both available at that pick.

Hopefully it's someone wanting to take Gibcus and St Kilda ends up with Ward.

I really like Gibcus and to be honest I'd be stoked if he landed at our pick but we clearly need more quality in the midfield first so I'd definitely be looking at trading down for a good price.

I'd be happy to get a Sonsie and a future pick to try and trade back into the draft later.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is Zac Taylor on the left and this is Jack Williams on the right. These aren't just minor tweaks that need to occur but complete kicking technique makeovers. They're bloody horrendous kicking styles which won't be consistent at afl level unless they are changed asap. 🤔
View attachment 1278475
In Taylor’s defence…do you remember a player called Luke power? Similar to Taylor.

Attachments

• 5B6E5D93-937A-492E-B3FF-9AF70F1EBF9B.jpeg
    5B6E5D93-937A-492E-B3FF-9AF70F1EBF9B.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 620C36FE-D19A-43DF-A146-11A76F01E6BE.jpeg
    620C36FE-D19A-43DF-A146-11A76F01E6BE.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
View attachment 1281707

Hey all, just a quick heads up that the 2021 Rookie Me Central AFL Draft Guide will be released tomorrow night 📝

Yes it's free.

Downloadable via the website, or if wanted direct download you can subscribe via the website.

Quick info:
Full profiles with colour coding and key stats for 90 National Combine invites ✅
Profiles on all Draft Combine invites and some Others to Consider ✅
Top 22 in 2022 ✅

There's plenty of other stuff, but over the past couple of months we've put it together, so very happy it's finally able to come out haha.
Yeap, I subscribed and received it straight into my Junk mail. Trust it's not an omen?

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
In Taylor’s defence…do you remember a player called Luke power? Similar to Taylor.

you just showed me a picture of Luke power holding it lower? Not only lower but much closer to his body.

I'd say Luke power is bringing it 1 football width lower which is significant in a small movement.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
you just showed me a picture of Luke power holding it lower? Not only lower but much closer to his body.

I'd say Luke power is bringing it 1 football width lower which is significant in a small movement.
Yeah wasn’t exactly the perfect example but if you’re old enough to remember Luke power you’d remember he had a similar kicking style.

A lots changed since my big phantom a few weeks ago so I thought it was worth just updating what I expect the first round to be now that we're closer to. As most have mentioned, getting any info this year has been ridiculously difficult and I'm still expecting to see kids that most amateur phantom watchers have around the 40's end up going in the first round and vice versa, it's obviously exciting that we're entering a draft that feels genuinely unknown but a little annoying as well.

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
2. [Bid] Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy
3. GWS - Finn Callaghan
4. [Bid] Collingwood - Nick Daicos
5. SUNS - Mac Andrew
6. Crows - Josh Rachele
7. Hawks - Matthew Johnson
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Josh Ward
11. St Kilda - Josh Gibcus
12. West Coast - Neil Erasmus
13. Essendon - Josh Goater
14. Port Adelaide - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. GWS - Mitch Owens
16. Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot
17. Richmond - Josh Sinn
18. Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
19. Melbourne - Tyler Sonsie
20. Brisbane - Campbell Chesser

A few notes, again I hate tryna do live trading but I reckon Fremantle and St Kilda would be getting a lot of calls for their 10 and 11 with Ward and Gibcus still on the board with teams tryna trade up, would Richmond consider trying to package 17 with one or two 20's picks to get back up and get one of them? I think both could suit well alongside Hobbs, perhaps Brisbane or Sydney try to push up for Gibcus as well

Surely freo dont take another vic metro kid who might be a flight risk when erasmus is on the board? I cant see that. I agree st kilda will get a lot of phone calls if gibcus is there as some clubs will want hin due to the perception that after the top 15 the quality of the talls drops off. Clubs like richmond and geelong that have multiple later picks may be trying to trade up into the teens so it will be an interesting draft.

Honestly I’m resigned to Brisbane selecting Van Rooyen at our first pick, then whoever is left on board out of Wilmot or Chesser at our second pick.

I thought brisbane wanted running defenders more than talls?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surely freo dont take another vic metro kid who might be a flight risk when erasmus is on the board? I cant see that. I agree st kilda will get a lot of phone calls if gibcus is there as some clubs will want hin due to the perception that after the top 15 the quality of the talls drops off. Clubs like richmond and geelong that have multiple later picks may be trying to trade up into the teens so it will be an interesting draft.

Surely if Gibcus is there Saints snap him up in a heartbeat

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I dont really buy this "Ward has said he doesn't want to leave Vic" talk personally, if given the choice I'd guess 99.95% of kids wpuld prefer not to move, but nowhere near that amount would have the "I'm leaving after two years" mindset locked in. I've said before that if you don't back your club to win over a draftee amd make them want to stay then that's extremely telling and will limit your draft options, especially if Ward is seen as clearly better than an Erasmus at club level

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah wasn’t exactly the perfect example but if you’re old enough to remember Luke power you’d remember he had a similar kicking style.
Yeah I'm 35 so I saw him in his prime. But I've actually never seen anyone in the history of the game bring the ball as high as Zac Taylor. I challenge anyone to find a screen grab of someone bringing the ball face high when kicking. It may be a good kick but unless he learns a really good kick fake then he won't have the time to dispose of the ball.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Yeah I'm 35 so I saw him in his prime. But I've actually never seen anyone in the history of the game bring the ball as high as Zac Taylor. I challenge anyone to find a screen grab of someone bringing the ball face high when kicking. It may be a good kick but unless he learns a really good kick fake then he won't have the time to dispose of the ball.
Why does it matter so much to you, if the ball goes where he wants it to and from the games of his I've watched that's certainly the case, how it's delivered means nought if it hits the mark.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
A lots changed since my big phantom a few weeks ago so I thought it was worth just updating what I expect the first round to be now that we're closer to. As most have mentioned, getting any info this year has been ridiculously difficult and I'm still expecting to see kids that most amateur phantom watchers have around the 40's end up going in the first round and vice versa, it's obviously exciting that we're entering a draft that feels genuinely unknown but a little annoying as well.

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
2. [Bid] Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy
3. GWS - Finn Callaghan
4. [Bid] Collingwood - Nick Daicos
5. SUNS - Mac Andrew
6. Crows - Josh Rachele
7. Hawks - Matthew Johnson
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Josh Ward
11. St Kilda - Josh Gibcus
12. West Coast - Neil Erasmus
13. Essendon - Josh Goater
14. Port Adelaide - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. GWS - Mitch Owens
16. Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot
17. Richmond - Josh Sinn
18. Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
19. Melbourne - Tyler Sonsie
20. Brisbane - Campbell Chesser

A few notes, again I hate tryna do live trading but I reckon Fremantle and St Kilda would be getting a lot of calls for their 10 and 11 with Ward and Gibcus still on the board with teams tryna trade up, would Richmond consider trying to package 17 with one or two 20's picks to get back up and get one of them? I think both could suit well alongside Hobbs, perhaps Brisbane or Sydney try to push up for Gibcus as well

Yes, Gibcus.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari

Not bad, I might go Alleer over Van Rooyen though, assuming Sinn isn’t on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back