Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally anything that Red Bull sponsor, maybe he's a sky diving skateboarder?
Or Chase Bourne, and they title his documentary "Chasing Adrenaline" or 'Bourne to chase Adventure'

My write up on Jesse Motlop's game, as I said I was quite impressed with that for a debut performance, and if he can maintain that output he should stay in the side

Closing thoughts:

It was an impressive debut at League level for Motlop after impressing at Colts and PSA levels through the year. He looked comfortable amongst bigger bodies and didn’t noticeably struggle with the physicality, looking courageous as he ran head first into packs and impacted contests in the forward half of the ground.

He had quite a few flashy moments with his agility and ability to find the right options with his disposal, setting up scoring plays, but his fundamentals of the game and work rate are what ultimately sets him up to be the smart and damaging player he is, forcing turnovers or backwards disposals from the opposition by pressuring them with his closing speed. This game showed a good base for Motlop and suggests plenty of potential to impact at the next level.

Don't usually advertise the AFLW Draft stuff I do here, but Draft Central has released it's/our first ever AFLW Draft Guide similar to the one done for the boys. A little over 100 individual player profiles with Championships stats involved as well, so feel free to give it a look!

Don't usually advertise the AFLW Draft stuff I do here, but Draft Central has released it's/our first ever AFLW Draft Guide similar to the one done for the boys. A little over 100 individual player profiles with Championships stats involved as well, so feel free to give it a look!

Oooh, we got a page 5 girl.

It’s a very good photo, and I’m sure it has made Pauga’s day.
Escaping lockdown to head to Bond University one weekend and then Maroochydore the next was worth it ;) (We literally did too, they were the two grounds we went to across the two weekends haha)

round 18 or something phantom.PNG
I am yet again, lacking confidence in this, but I'd happily assume I'm not alone in that regard, just a bunch of stabbing in the dark currently. I think any of the top 15 + Rachele and Draper could potentially end up going top 10 at this stage which makes it fairly difficult to nail down, then again from 15 onwards it's not hard to see some of those guys going closer to 10 or closer to 30 than where they are. Really considered a few other players from 20 onwards, I think the depth in this draft is with those Medium sized defenders and forwards, less so than pure midfielders at this stage.

View attachment 1186893
I am yet again, lacking confidence in this, but I'd happily assume I'm not alone in that regard, just a bunch of stabbing in the dark currently. I think any of the top 15 + Rachele and Draper could potentially end up going top 10 at this stage which makes it fairly difficult to nail down, then again from 15 onwards it's not hard to see some of those guys going closer to 10 or closer to 30 than where they are. Really considered a few other players from 20 onwards, I think the depth in this draft is with those Medium sized defenders and forwards, less so than pure midfielders at this stage.
Hawks 23-24 Picks, who are they and what are they like haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1186893
Am I to understand Carlton bid on Motlop like 3 picks before our 2nd? I’m going to have to have words with Jeremias about his club always trying to upset me.

Also, thanks for Erasmus.

Hawks 23-24 Picks, who are they and what are they like haha
Murley is a shorter mid/ forward with a bit of pace and agility, balances well around the contest and can win groundballs under pressure consistently which is his real POD for his size
Browne is just a consistently solid clearance winner with good hands in close and a remarkable ability to get separation

Am I too understand Carlton bid on Motlop like 3 picks before our 2nd? I’m going to have to have words with Jeremias about his club always trying to upset me.

Also, thanks for Erasmus.
Literally the pick before, those bastards making you pay for Henry and now this!

View attachment 1186893
Brisbane definitely bid on Fahey if Sydney don’t.

If the first two picks this year are from Oakleigh again, they need to consider splitting their zone up. That'd make it three years in a row where Oakleigh had two of the top three picks.
Oakleigh and Sandringham have most of the private schools being feeder clubs and these schools attract young talent from across Vic and even across Australia, so they are usually stronger because of this, Scholarships create an advantage, maybe evening out private schools as feeder clubs could even out the comp, but i think it being unbalanced is how people like it and i doubt if the powers that be care if it changes.

Oakleigh and Sandringham have most of the private schools being feeder clubs and these schools attract young talent from across Vic and even across Australia, so they are usually stronger because of this, Scholarships create an advantage, maybe evening out private schools as feeder clubs could even out the comp, but i think it being unbalanced is how people like it and i doubt if the powers that be care if it changes.

It's a decent point though.

There's probably scope for a third TAC Cup side in the SE Suburbs, or increase the Eastern Rangers catchment to include the parts of Oakleigh that shouldn't really be Oakleigh like Kew etc.

Also, increase Dandelong's catchment to swallow a section of the Dragons. The cutoff is currently Mordialloc between the Dragons and Stingrays, that could probably move up to Cheltenham.

It's a decent point though.

There's probably scope for a third TAC Cup side in the SE Suburbs, or increase the Eastern Rangers catchment to include the parts of Oakleigh that shouldn't really be Oakleigh like Kew etc.

Also, increase Dandelong's catchment to swallow a section of the Dragons. The cutoff is currently Mordialloc between the Dragons and Stingrays, that could probably move up to Cheltenham.
Then you're forcing some kids to travel an extra 45 minutes - an hour for training just to equalise what is essentially a feeder league, I don't think it's a massive issue personally, especially in the context of 2019/2021 where the Chargers weren't exactly dominant in 2019, and are at genuine risk of missing out this year.

Last edited:
Then you're forcing some kids to travel an extra 45 minutes - an hour for training just to equalise what is essentially a feeder league, I don't think it's a massive issue personally, especially in the context of 2019/2021 where the Chargers weren't exactly dominant in 2019, and are at genuine risk of missing out this year.

The Stringrays train in Mordialloc, which is almost closer to Chelt than Trevor Barker. They are training on the extreme outer edge of their zone, I'd be increasing the zone the other way and actually creating more local prospects than further away.

There's about a 7 minute difference between Kilsyth vs Oakleigh for a player from Kew in the inner east.

An extra hours/45 mins is a fair exaggeration.

An argument could be made that the inner east (Kew, Camberwell, Balwyn) should actually be Northern Knights. It's actually the closest training venue, it's closer than Oakleigh.

The Stringrays train in Mordialloc, which is almost closer to Chelt than Trevor Barker.

There's about a 7 minute difference between Kilsyth vs Oakleigh for a person from Kew.

An extra hours/45 mins is a fair exaggeration.
I had assumed the Stingrays rotated training grounds like they rotate home grounds 😡, but faor point is was a wild guess thrown out on assumptions

I stand by calling it a feeder league though, ultimately unless theres a significant difference in development quality I dont mind how it is, would think Country regions (minus Dandenong) need more assistance before rezoning the East/inner south east

I had assumed the Stingrays rotated training grounds like they rotate home grounds 😡, but faor point is was a wild guess thrown out on assumptions

I stand by calling it a feeder league though, ultimately unless theres a significant difference in development quality I dont mind how it is, would think Country regions (minus Dandenong) need more assistance before rezoning the East/inner south east

I get that it's a feeder league, I'm not coming about this from a competition perspective.

It would be better to have the talent pool spread more evenly around 2-3 other sides for the level of competition rather than have 2 x super sides every year like we've been having when all private school kids are available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back