Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s a fair concern to have. Does Daicos have much, if any, development to come? Probably not in his current role.

We were talking about Daicos, yeah?

Ah. What a surprise… if in your own words I’m obsessed with JHF, you’re surely just as obsessed with Daicos.

And, No. Personally IMO Daicos doesn’t have as much development left in him when compared to some other prospects.

Last edited:

I think it’s a fair concern to have. Does Daicos have much, if any, development to come? Probably not in his current role.

We were talking about Daicos, yeah?

Couldn’t agree more, what’s he averaging like 30 disposals & 2 goals? Pfftt, let me know when he turns water into wine. Not worth a bid at all.

🎉 🎉

Have heard a couple of people aren't as high on Darcy due to defensive stocks being, in their words, "s**t this year". Some over rating Darcy's performance? What is your take?

Have heard a couple of people aren't as high on Darcy due to defensive stocks being, in their words, "sh*t this year". Some over rating Darcy's performance? What is your take?
My 100% honest take would get me in trouble I reckon =)

The lighter response is you don't necessarily rank prospects purely on performance, Darcy has some traits that are just elite regardless of the level of opposition such as his work rate to make repeat leads, leading patterns, reaction time, reach, skills, marking and goal sense, also has some really good agility for his size and does well to win the ball off the deck. I've been more impressed with him as a defender as well tbh, so as a genuine utility with the traits he has it's weird anyone would doubt him as a top end prospect, I can see the merit in not having him top 3, but anything further than 5-10 would be interesting. It also begs the question about performance of other prospects against weaker opposition, Erasmus has done most of his work in school footy this year so do we discount that entirely? Matthew Johnson played poorly in his WAFL league games so do we discount his colts/ reserves form? It's a bit of a can of worms that boils down to what you're actually ranking the players on

Last edited:
My 100% honest take would get me in trouble I reckon =)

The lighter response is you don't necessarily rank prospects purely on performance, Darcy has some traits that are just elite regardless of the level of opposition such as his work rate to make repeat leads, leading patterns, reaction time, reach, skills, marking and goal sense, also has some really good agility for his size and does well to win the ball off the deck. I've been more impressed with him as a defender as well tbh, so as a genuine utility with the traits he has it's weird anyone would doubt him as a top end prospect, I can see the merit in not having him top 3, but anything further than 5-10 would be interesting. It also begs the question about performance of other prospects against weaker opposition, Erasmus has done most of his work in school footy this year so do we discount that entirely? Matthew Johnson played poorly in his SANFL WAFL league games so do we discount his colts/ reserves form? It's a bit of a can of worms that boils down to what you're actually ranking the players on
Edited for accuracy. :)

How much improvement a player has in them is an interesting discussion.

Lachie Neale has worked to improve his outside game, and his forward craft since arriving at Brisbane.

How much improvement a player has in them can be linked to how advanced a players skills, athletic abilities and a range of other things.

Players like Daicos and Horne should have a lot of improvement left in them if they have the work ethic and access to elite trainers.

September Top 20
September top 20.png
* Josh Sinn is 186 cm and 82 (I think) kg, sorry for mistake

So with another year of Victorian footy severely impacted it's going to be even hard to pass judgement on players as individuals and where they may come into draft calculations. I wonder how much the lack of footy in Victoria in the past two years will effect the amount of vics that get drafted, especially as WA and SA kids club and improve on their concerns.

The month without Victorian footy has really allowed me to pay attention to SA and WA like I haven't been able to before, WA in particular has a lot of talent pushing to be involved here that may manage to sneak in over the next month. Draper I've changed my view on, not necessarily his RIF's, but I don't expect him to be a midfielder at the next level, and looking at his impact as mainly a forward makes him a much better looking prospect imo. Roberts drops slightly with his composure and ball use since returning from injury not really being at the level it has been, up until Saturday he wasn't dropping that far because of it but it's been enough time to build form imo.

I also went back a watched a bit of footage that I've either managed to grab or is readily available on the internet. Metro v Country Challenge match in particular I've watched a good 7 or 8 times trying to focus on certain players each time. It's a big reason for the Goater slide, off the ball work isn't quite at a great level for a midfielder still the main concern. It's also a big reason for the Wilmot and Ward rise, Wilmot I've said before I think is the best all round defensive prospect in the pool given he has a defensive focus and can hurt in offense, I think at the absolute worst he turns out to be a Maynard level player but with more speed and arguably a better kick, Ward is just a genuine fighter in the midfield, still unsure completely of his speed but it's not an obvious hindrance like in the case of Roberts for example.

Sonsie I originally had dropping, but went and rewatched Eastern vs Tasmania and his Box Hill game and he kept his spot, rarely wastes a disposal and works through traffic really well, could see a possible off the ball workrate issue but it's not glaringly bad.

Overall I'm probably getting more bullish with the draft as a whole, players I have closer to 30 in my rankings such as Mitch Knevitt, Judson Clarke, Zac Taylor for example I wouldn't be totally surprised to see taken as high as 10 because of the traits they have which makes it exciting to see what comes draft night and the rumours that start swirling before that. Mentioned Knevitt, Taylor and Clarke, on top of those guys Murley, Bazzo, JVR and Butler are close to being in the 20, I was hoping to see another game of Butler in particular prior to the Victorian lockdown to see how consistently he showed his traits given there's not much vision around of him, but ah well, what can ya do

Nick Daicos - Collingwood Father-Son, Sam Darcy - Western Bulldogs Father-Son, Mac Andrew - Melbourne Academy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

73Kg at 203cm is a very, very light frame for Darcy.
Does it appear so in real life.

Doesn't really matter, Dogs will match, where ever he is called, but it is at least something to consider for a number 3 pick (as predicted)

Reckon there is a bit of Chris Tarrant about Jye Amiss. Looks a jet

View attachment 1223306

So with another year of Victorian footy severely impacted it's going to be even hard to pass judgement on players as individuals and where they may come into draft calculations. I wonder how much the lack of footy in Victoria in the past two years will effect the amount of vics that get drafted, especially as WA and SA kids club and improve on their concerns.

The month without Victorian footy has really allowed me to pay attention to SA and WA like I haven't been able to before, WA in particular has a lot of talent pushing to be involved here that may manage to sneak in over the next month. Draper I've changed my view on, not necessarily his RIF's, but I don't expect him to be a midfielder at the next level, and looking at his impact as mainly a forward makes him a much better looking prospect imo. Roberts drops slightly with his composure and ball use since returning from injury not really being at the level it has been, up until Saturday he wasn't dropping that far because of it but it's been enough time to build form imo.

I also went back a watched a bit of footage that I've either managed to grab or is readily available on the internet. Metro v Country Challenge match in particular I've watched a good 7 or 8 times trying to focus on certain players each time. It's a big reason for the Goater slide, off the ball work isn't quite at a great level for a midfielder still the main concern. It's also a big reason for the Wilmot and Ward rise, Wilmot I've said before I think is the best all round defensive prospect in the pool given he has a defensive focus and can hurt in offense, I think at the absolute worst he turns out to be a Maynard level player but with more speed and arguably a better kick, Ward is just a genuine fighter in the midfield, still unsure completely of his speed but it's not an obvious hindrance like in the case of Roberts for example.

Sonsie I originally had dropping, but went and rewatched Eastern vs Tasmania and his Box Hill game and he kept his spot, rarely wastes a disposal and works through traffic really well, could see a possible off the ball workrate issue but it's not glaringly bad.

Overall I'm probably getting more bullish with the draft as a whole, players I have closer to 30 in my rankings such as Mitch Knevitt, Judson Clarke, Zac Taylor for example I wouldn't be totally surprised to see taken as high as 10 because of the traits they have which makes it exciting to see what comes draft night and the rumours that start swirling before that. Mentioned Knevitt, Taylor and Clarke, on top of those guys Murley, Bazzo, JVR and Butler are close to being in the 20, I was hoping to see another game of Butler in particular prior to the Victorian lockdown to see how consistently he showed his traits given there's not much vision around of him, but ah well, what can ya do

Nick Daicos - Collingwood Father-Son, Sam Darcy - Western Bulldogs Father-Son, Mac Andrew - Melbourne Academy
Where does Ned Long slot in, early on until injured I'd have taken him before his Northern Knights teammate Josh Ward at that point?

Is it a case of out of sight out of mind?

Where does Ned Long slot in, early on until injured I'd have taken him before his Northern Knights teammate Josh Ward at that point?

Is it a case of out of sight out of mind?
Could be for a few indeed, I only got to see him in person once which is annoying so my notes on him aren't overly extensive (and it was that horrid game against Sandringham with a s**t tonne of rain), and the one game available to see with him in it against Gippsland is poor quality and, well, against Gippsland. What I will say is on rewatching the Gippy v Northern game I don't think he's as unathletic as I remembered, still not 'fast' but does get through traffic, with size on his side of course, and seem to have a passable leap at least, so could well be a 'bolter' in a similar vein to Cooper Stephens/ Mitchell Georgiades, maybe not into the first round tho

Interesting. I went and watched the Box Hill game after reading glowing reports and left very underwhelmed - he seemed to waste about three quarters of his disposals.

Last edited:
View attachment 1223306

Hey mate great work here, just would be remiss to not mention you don't have our lord and saviour Bodhi Uwland in your top 20? Have you not watched him play? If you need some info Bastyy knows everything about him.
Cheers.

Hey mate great work here, just would be remiss to not mention you don't have our lord and saviour Bodhi Uwland in your top 20? Have you not watched him play? If you need some info Bastyy knows everything about him.
Cheers.
I was threatened by Gold Coast Suns executives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back