Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Wardlaw's production Pick 1 worthy? Averaging 21 possies in U/18s against guys who mostly will never make an afl list doesn't bode well for a big ball winner at AFL me thinks.
Context mate. Was ill and or injured in two games iirc. Spent long periods on the bench and forward in the games he was struggling physically.

BM005

Draftee
Jul 14, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
When is Wardlaw due back?

Is it this weekend or next? Or later?

Keen to see how his draft stocks change when he comes back for the back end of the season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Is Wardlaw's production Pick 1 worthy? Averaging 21 possies in U/18s against guys who mostly will never make an afl list doesn't bode well for a big ball winner at AFL me thinks.
Not sure you do.

Outplayed Ashcroft in the first game of the season.

Then was injured in his second game, and shut down to recover after his third game. Hasn’t been seen since because of injury.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
When is Wardlaw due back?

Is it this weekend or next? Or later?

Keen to see how his draft stocks change when he comes back for the back end of the season.
Expected to be available within the next two weeks

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
It's the only criticism you could have on him with his performances to date

TJG1996

Debutant
Jul 18, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey mate, big fan of your work.

Would love to know some more detailed thoughts on Sam Gilbey. I've seen him play a handful of times over the past two years and he's always got big wraps on him but I've never come away anything but underwhelmed or just plain whelmed by his performances. Am I just seeing him in bad games? Do you think he becomes one of those elite running back flankers/wingmen in the AFL? Cheers.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Hey mate, big fan of your work.

Would love to know some more detailed thoughts on Sam Gilbey. I've seen him play a handful of times over the past two years and he's always got big wraps on him but I've never come away anything but underwhelmed or just plain whelmed by his performances. Am I just seeing him in bad games? Do you think he becomes one of those elite running back flankers/wingmen in the AFL? Cheers.
There's a bit of projection with Gilbey, but generally his ball use is really good and he brings a good rebounding game with his speed and evasiveness through the contest. I think he had a good Champs in a poor side, and for mine was WA's main playmaker from the back 50, and really it brought back the flashes he showed last year that initially gripped me.

I also think an aspect of his game not spoken about a lot is his marking for his size, and this could be the rose tinted glasses from last year talking but he's someone I don't think I've seen drop a mark he went for.

Not sure what he is at the next level, he's played a bit of everywhere but performed best off the back flank, but his slim frame may hamper him to a degree in one-on-ones, so maybe Winger is his best spot until he gets a bit stronger.

I know PSA games aren't always seen as a great gauge for talent, but his work for Hale last year really stood out and was a big reason for him being one of my ones to watch for this season, and given the glandular fever this year I'm just going with a benefit of the doubt approach for some of his poor form this season

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
There's a bit of projection with Gilbey, but generally his ball use is really good and he brings a good rebounding game with his speed and evasiveness through the contest. I think he had a good Champs in a poor side, and for mine was WA's main playmaker from the back 50, and really it brought back the flashes he showed last year that initially gripped me.

I also think an aspect of his game not spoken about a lot is his marking for his size, and this could be the rose tinted glasses from last year talking but he's someone I don't think I've seen drop a mark he went for.

Not sure what he is at the next level, he's played a bit of everywhere but performed best off the back flank, but his slim frame may hamper him to a degree in one-on-ones, so maybe Winger is his best spot until he gets a bit stronger.

I know PSA games aren't always seen as a great gauge for talent, but his work for Hale last year really stood out and was a big reason for him being one of my ones to watch for this season, and given the glandular fever this year I'm just going with a benefit of the doubt approach for some of his poor form this season
He's finding his best form now. He was arguably BOG on Saturday for Claremont along with bolter Ed Allan (CL) and 2023 prospect Jack Saunders (SD).

Some club will draft him. Whatever illness he had in the early part of the season he seems to have shaken off.

Ceiling > Production.
Bontempelli averaged low teens disposals during his u18 year. Callan Ward was drafted on rate of improvement, not production.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Gilbey could be a similar HB to Robert Murphy imo.

Had 31 touches, 6 marks, 7 tackles and 5 inside 50s on the weekend.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Reminds me of Kade Simpson a bit

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
View attachment 1461983
Things are somewhat clearer but at the same time fuzzier after the Champs. I think I can pretty comfortably say the tiers for me are as follows
Tier 1; Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Tier 2; Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Cadman, Busslinger, Mackenzie
Tier 3; Hewett, Jefferson, Hollands, Keeler, Szybkowski, Fletcher, Hustwaite, Humphrey, Barnett, Gilbey, Konstanty

Those included that aren't in those 3 tiers make up the next tier with a few others like Sadler, Cowan, Michalanny, Clarke and Jones, hoping that finals in various leagues will see some big performances to help with clarity, but overall I'm a little more optimistic about the depth in this draft than I was prior to the champs, I still think there'll be a lot of busts but there's a real evenness that means recruiters will be earning their money
No chance GC takes a key forward with their first, with Ben King coming back and Jed Walters projecting as a very early 2023 pick. Even less chance Richmond uses an early pick on a ruckman or a defender. Would be rapt for Richmond to get Hewett but I doubt he lasts that long.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
No chance GC takes a key forward with their first, with Ben King coming back and Jed Walters projecting as a very early 2023 pick. Even less chance Richmond uses an early pick on a ruckman or a defender. Would be rapt for Richmond to get Hewett but I doubt he lasts that long.
More than ever I think this year has shown bottom aged form doesn't always translate, Lemmey was a clear top 3 prospect this time last year and now he's not even appearing in some peoples top 25's, so whilst it's nice for Suns fans to have a promising one for next year I don't think its something you can fully rely on.

On Cadman specifically, I think he's something different to those they've got and Walter, and worst case could turn into a KPD or Winger given his experience as a bottom ager.

Barnett selection was woth the view as a KPF/KPD first, ruck second

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More than ever I think this year has shown bottom aged form doesn't always translate, Lemmey was a clear top 3 prospect this time last year and now he's not even appearing in some peoples top 25's, so whilst it's nice for Suns fans to have a promising one for next year I don't think its something you can fully rely on.

On Cadman specifically, I think he's something different to those they've got and Walter, and worst case could turn into a KPD or Winger given his experience as a bottom ager.

Barnett selection was woth the view as a KPF/KPD first, ruck second
How did Cadman go as a wing? I could see him being a great halfback, but would figure you'd play him in some sort of mix between Curnow and Gunston, getting up the ground and presenting for the exit kicks then working back and leading/crashing the pack from the big lead up forwards. I haven't really seen a key forward rack up as many possies outside 50 as he seems to do though, could be a really special player.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
How did Cadman go as a wing? I could see him being a great halfback, but would figure you'd play him in some sort of mix between Curnow and Gunston, getting up the ground and presenting for the exit kicks then working back and leading/crashing the pack from the big lead up forwards. I haven't really seen a key forward rack up as many possies outside 50 as he seems to do though, could be a really special player.
Not bad, his size gives him an automatic advantage and allows him to have a stronger contested game than most direct opponents he'd line up on, and despite what his record in front of goal suggests hes actually avdecent kick. He didn't really star though which would be the concern, but he's improved a lot of his game since so might fare better if he got time there again.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
View attachment 1461983
Things are somewhat clearer but at the same time fuzzier after the Champs. I think I can pretty comfortably say the tiers for me are as follows
Tier 1; Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Tier 2; Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Cadman, Busslinger, Mackenzie
Tier 3; Hewett, Jefferson, Hollands, Keeler, Szybkowski, Fletcher, Hustwaite, Humphrey, Barnett, Gilbey, Konstanty

Those included that aren't in those 3 tiers make up the next tier with a few others like Sadler, Cowan, Michalanny, Clarke and Jones, hoping that finals in various leagues will see some big performances to help with clarity, but overall I'm a little more optimistic about the depth in this draft than I was prior to the champs, I still think there'll be a lot of busts but there's a real evenness that means recruiters will be earning their money
Would be quite happy with mckenzie at our first
Need to trade that 2nd up into jefferson/keeler territory, or at least add an additional mid like szybkowski

Back