Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

As a non expert on Vic, I really liked that kid Murdoch......apart from the big names, he's the one I really noticed.
There's something about those low possession but highly effective lockdown players that gets me too, but I just don't think I've seen Sheezel so obviously struggle in an U18's game like on Thursday, Murdoch did exceptionally on him. He's a pretty 'meat and potatoes' defender though, so I just think he might struggle to get picked up when compared to those with a bit more to their game

Reckon Cadman goes at 2 or does Wardlaw hold his spot?
Personally I'd still be taking Wardlaw, but Cadmans mounted a very decent case to deserve selection there

any notes from yesterday’s curtain raiser?
Notes on all players are gonna be on Rookiemecentral tomorrow

Particularly impressed with Dan Curtin obviously, got the BOG medal as a CHB but there's a solid argument to be made that he's better as a forward which is really exciting for his future. Alex Holt, Luca Slade and Nathan Philactides were probably the three most consistent across the 4 quarters for team Houli, with Jack Delean, Colby McKercher, Jack Callinan, Connor O'Sullivan and Cam Nyko also all having some impressive periods

From Team Murphy, Will Lorenz was dominant in the first half, only a small sample size from him this year but presents as a really well rounded Mid/FWD with clean skills and a strong aerial game. Ben Ridgway was consistent as he always is in the engine room, with Swans Academy prospect Caiden Cleary winning plenty of it too. Outside of those guys, Jake Rogers, Riley Hardeman, Zane Duursma, Logan Morris and Kobe Shipp were impressive.

In all honesty there's very few players that didn't have at least a couple of moments through the game to get excited by, and when you throw in the fact that Harley Reid, Nick Watson, Nate Caddy and Ashton Moir (all early top 10 possibilities) were out, along with a large portion of the WA lads in Clay Hall, Mitchell Edwards and Ethan Logan that were initially invited, it's a lot to get excited about. There were a couple of other prospects I thought could've been invited and not looked out of place as well, so early on it's looking like a strong crop

Particularly impressed with Dan Curtin obviously, got the BOG medal as a CHB but there's a solid argument to be made that he's better as a forward which is really exciting for his future. Alex Holt, Luca Slade and Nathan Philactides were probably the three most consistent across the 4 quarters for team Houli, with Jack Delean, Colby McKercher, Jack Callinan, Connor O'Sullivan and Cam Nyko also all having some impressive periods

From Team Murphy, Will Lorenz was dominant in the first half, only a small sample size from him this year but presents as a really well rounded Mid/FWD with clean skills and a strong aerial game. Ben Ridgway was consistent as he always is in the engine room, with Swans Academy prospect Caiden Cleary winning plenty of it too. Outside of those guys, Jake Rogers, Riley Hardeman, Zane Duursma, Logan Morris and Kobe Shipp were impressive.

In all honesty there's very few players that didn't have at least a couple of moments through the game to get excited by, and when you throw in the fact that Harley Reid, Nick Watson, Nate Caddy and Ashton Moir (all early top 10 possibilities) were out, along with a large portion of the WA lads in Clay Hall, Mitchell Edwards and Ethan Logan that were initially invited, it's a lot to get excited about. There were a couple of other prospects I thought could've been invited and not looked out of place as well, so early on it's looking like a strong crop

Looking at yesterdays game and then including players that didn’t play imo if they could there would be quite a few that would get drafted this year and play AFL in 2023.

PMBangers a few questions on some Forwards

Busslinger was all the rage early on in the season what do you see as his draft range?

Are both Cadman and Jefferson similarly developed or do you still see significant growth (strength) to come?

In terms of fwd/mids Sheezel top of the list (top 5 pick) then in terms of Humphrey and George where do you see them going pick wise?

Not that we will know until draft night at the latest but I can see the Giants trying to trade up if needed to get Cadman. Hogan is a short term option and is very limited in his game style so the club has a need for a móbile KPF with Riccardi still developing and more a 2nd 3rd tall
Tia

Where does Ryan Eyre project for next year Bangers? Have heard he's better than his older brother.
No clue, only one game for Calder with a return of 1 disposal isn't a great sign though

PMBangers a few questions on some Forwards

Busslinger was all the rage early on in the season what do you see as his draft range?

Are both Cadman and Jefferson similarly developed or do you still see significant growth (strength) to come?

In terms of fwd/mids Sheezel top of the list (top 5 pick) then in terms of Humphrey and George where do you see them going pick wise?

Not that we will know until draft night at the latest but I can see the Giants trying to trade up if needed to get Cadman. Hogan is a short term option and is very limited in his game style so the club has a need for a móbile KPF with Riccardi still developing and more a 2nd 3rd tall
Tia
Busslinger has been out of sight and out of mind for most given the early end to the season, I still think he's the standout tall defender of the crop and could realistically see him going Top 10 to a club like Gold Coast, Port Adelaide or Bulldogs

Cadman is far more physically developed at this stage, he could play next year. Jefferson is a bit of string bean atm, will likely need two or three pre seasons before he's playing as a target at AFL level consistently. Neither are really one-on-one beasts regardless, both are better on the lead or when allowed to jump at the footy, and I can't see that changing.

Sheezel should go in the top 6 picks, Humphrey between 4-10 and George is a bit of an unknown because of his limited exposure and guaranteed year off with the ACL, he could go anywhere from 20 onwards now

No clue, only one game for Calder with a return of 1 disposal isn't a great sign though
Apparently injured his ankle when taking a mark on a lead haha

Busslinger has been out of sight and out of mind for most given the early end to the season, I still think he's the standout tall defender of the crop and could realistically see him going Top 10 to a club like Gold Coast, Port Adelaide or Bulldogs

Cadman is far more physically developed at this stage, he could play next year. Jefferson is a bit of string bean atm, will likely need two or three pre seasons before he's playing as a target at AFL level consistently. Neither are really one-on-one beasts regardless, both are better on the lead or when allowed to jump at the footy, and I can't see that changing.

Sheezel should go in the top 6 picks, Humphrey between 4-10 and George is a bit of an unknown because of his limited exposure and guaranteed year off with the ACL, he could go anywhere from 20 onwards now

Other than Ashcroft because we all know he will go #1, it’s a race to the top. It’s a stacked top 5 after Ashcroft. As the days go by and I watch more vision Cadman is ripe for the picking at #2.
1. Ashcroft
2. Cadman
3. Sheezel
4. Wardlaw
5. J. Clarke
6. Tsatsas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good summary Bangers. :thumbsu:

i hate doing pahntoms man.PNG
Final RMD for the year before I start overthinking my final one, will be interesting to see how the view on players changes as we head closer to the draft, I expect that there'll be a lot more midfielders taken in the 20's than I have given how much clubs in that range need those sorts of players rather than defenders/ forwards. Trade period is also going to be hectic, I'm not going to be shocked if we see 70% of the picks in the first two rounds change hands at some point. Just going on the rumours is probably safe to say that Geelong, Richmond and Fremantle will be out of the first two rounds completely with their targets, and Gold Coast will probably do what they did last season and just head in with the one high end pick, so some clubs may see the opportunity to take both their second rounders as well.

Anyway, putting phantoms together is my least favourite part about draft watching, this is more an exercise of putting players to clubs within their range for me rather than 'what will this club do' atm, trade period will give us a better picture of what clubs are going to need obviously, and hopefully with it the rumour mill of clubs being interested in x draftee will start to heat up

View attachment 1518197
Final RMD for the year before I start overthinking my final one, will be interesting to see how the view on players changes as we head closer to the draft, I expect that there'll be a lot more midfielders taken in the 20's than I have given how much clubs in that range need those sorts of players rather than defenders/ forwards. Trade period is also going to be hectic, I'm not going to be shocked if we see 70% of the picks in the first two rounds change hands at some point. Just going on the rumours is probably safe to say that Geelong, Richmond and Fremantle will be out of the first two rounds completely with their targets, and Gold Coast will probably do what they did last season and just head in with the one high end pick, so some clubs may see the opportunity to take both their second rounders as well.

Anyway, putting phantoms together is my least favourite part about draft watching, this is more an exercise of putting players to clubs within their range for me rather than 'what will this club do' atm, trade period will give us a better picture of what clubs are going to need obviously, and hopefully with it the rumour mill of clubs being interested in x draftee will start to heat up
Hayes and Weddle going just wide our 2nd pick will break dogs fans hearts :(

View attachment 1518197

Gruz inside 35 ;-)

View attachment 1518197

Sheezel, Ryan & Barnett address needs for WC but I’d be quite disappointed if the draft fell that way given the state the clubs mid depth is in :sweatsmile:

Did Clark take a hit in your estimation due to his average performance during the final match PMBangers ?

I feel like Hawks will miss out on Mackenzie (who reminds me of Mundy when he first moved into the middle), and I'm not sure that Clark is the answer for us.

Did Clark take a hit in your estimation due to his average performance during the final match PMBangers ?

I feel like Hawks will miss out on Mackenzie (who reminds me of Mundy when he first moved into the middle), and I'm not sure that Clark is the answer for us.
No I still rate him highly, but Clarks one that I've struggled to place in a draft order all year. I keep switching between him not being athletic to just not having much burst woth each watch, there's some moments he shows off some good top level speed and leap but because it's not quite Tsatas or Hotton instant top speed it's hard to pick.

I actually thought he did pretty well in the Champs game, not as much of the ball as he usually gets but still did everything else that's gotten me so high on him

View attachment 1518197

I'll be very happy with hotton

No I still rate him highly, but Clarks one that I've struggled to place in a draft order all year. I keep switching between him not being athletic to just not having much burst woth each watch, there's some moments he shows off some good top level speed and leap but because it's not quite Tsatas or Hotton instant top speed it's hard to pick.

I actually thought he did pretty well in the Champs game, not as much of the ball as he usually gets but still did everything else that's gotten me so high on him

Cheers. To me he doesn't look like the kind of midfielder that excels in any specific area bar endeavour.

We need a midfielder that will mix well with Newcombe, Ward, JOM, Moore and Worpel.

View attachment 1518197

PMBangers just so you know: though you hate doing pahntoms man, the rest of us love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back