Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a big WAFL Colts watch today, quality of the overall competition looks like it may be down from last season but it's made the good performances stand out even more. Kane Bevan and Conrad Williams were really impressive in West Perth v Claremont, Bevan's interesting given his versatility positionally and height, at 192 cm he's a great size to play as a big bodied midfielder (like he did on the Weekend), but he's got form as a defender as well, could realistically fill in as a third tall if required as well. I think that'll see him looked at favourably come draft time. Williams is just a superb user by foot, maybe not Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera level but I think they'll end up playing a similar role.

Jackson Broadbent should be banned from playing WAFL Colts, put him in the seniors and start developing his forward craft and that'll be better for him in the long run imo, I don't think he'll be challenged in the ruck all year if he stays in the colts. I still think I might rate him higher than he'll go, but at his size and skillset as a ruck I don't see him not making it at the next level.

Jedd Busslinger will rise in rankings this year, I wouldn't be shocked if he went top 10. Looks like he's improved his one-on-one work (in the few times he was caught in one) and improved his kicking a tad, he was apparently close to a league debut in round 1 and I reckon he's got it in round 2 after his colts performance, looked like he was finding it too easy at times.

PMBangers have you seen Ted Clohesy for the Falcons? First time I think we've ever had a draftable NGA come through. Worried though he'll be top 40 and we'll miss out on him.

View attachment 1376684
Yeah I have, really strong accumulator and cracks in hard, but his biggest point of difference is his defensive work, runs both ways with the same intensity and genuinely hunts for tackles. Outside of that I'm not sure if there's enough to see him taken before 40, his disposal isn't a stand out feature and he's not overly impactful in other positions. This is all with the asterisk of "it's early in the year", but he's not really someone I see going that early

And as always the Simpsons reference is appreciated

Yeah I have, really strong accumulator and cracks in hard, but his biggest point of difference is his defensive work, runs both ways with the same intensity and genuinely hunts for tackles. Outside of that I'm not sure if there's enough to see him taken before 40, his disposal isn't a stand out feature and he's not overly impactful in other positions. This is all with the asterisk of "it's early in the year", but he's not really someone I see going that early

And as always the Simpsons reference is appreciated
Here's hoping he's the best pick 41 in history then

PMBangers have you seen Ted Clohesy for the Falcons? First time I think we've ever had a draftable NGA come through. Worried though he'll be top 40 and we'll miss out on him.

View attachment 1376684
he is performing at similar levels to Clark and seems to have all the traits needed to be drafted earlish, so with the new rules you might miss out on him?

So there's Max Clohesy and Ted Clohesy.

Is one 2003 born and the other, 2004 born?
Both 2004 born, I believe the last name is South African but only Ted is linked to an NGA to my knowledge

Are there any proper 185+ midfielders who defend capable of going first round? Tah
Mitch Szybkowski and Kane Bevan are the first that come to mind, 186 cm and 192 cm respectively, two in and under guys that don't neglect defensive duties most of the time. It's easier to tell when watching in person though so I might be overestimating Bevan in that capacity. Guys that probably aren't first rounders as it stands but fit the mould to look out for are Mitchell Rowe from Sandringham and Jack Cleaver from East Freo.
Adam D'Aloia also isn't bad defensively, probably around the late first rounder mark atm

PMBangers I’m liking what I see with Emile-Brennan at Dandy. I’ve seen him play a couple of times now, again yesterday and IMO he will be exciting clubs with his run off HB. I know it’s early but I can see him becom a rnd 1 selection. What are your thoughts?

Mitch Szybkowski and Kane Bevan are the first that come to mind, 186 cm and 192 cm respectively, two in and under guys that don't neglect defensive duties most of the time. It's easier to tell when watching in person though so I might be overestimating Bevan in that capacity. Guys that probably aren't first rounders as it stands but fit the mould to look out for are Mitchell Rowe from Sandringham and Jack Cleaver from East Freo
I'm saying this with the thought that we probably only get one live pick in the draft haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PMBangers I’m liking what I see with Emile-Brennan at Dandy. I’ve seen him play a couple of times now, again yesterday and IMO he will be exciting clubs with his run off HB. I know it’s early but I can see him becom a rnd 1 selection. What are your thoughts?
Yeah he really caught my eye in Round 1 vs Eastern, I've made the Wanganeen-Milera comparison with his movement and kicking at short to medium distances, uses it really well by hand and is surprisingly comfortable with contact for a slim frame, in comparison to some of the other medium defender options in the draft frame he's looking pretty high up, especially if he can keep improving each week. I could see him going first round if he gets an opportunity in the midfield, but currently I think a guy like Conrad Williams provides a similar skill set and he's more proven over time.
I'm saying this with the thought that we probably only get one live pick in the draft haha
If the Bombers form continues you'll be in the Wardlaw/ Tsatas/ Lemmey/ Hewett range, Hewett fits the defensive requirement better than Tsatas but it's not something I see as a massive strength of his. I expect Szybkowski to force himself into the top 6/7 prospects by years end anyway though, so could well be in that conversation regardless

Yeah he really caught my eye in Round 1 vs Eastern, I've made the Wanganeen-Milera comparison with his movement and kicking at short to medium distances, uses it really well by hand and is surprisingly comfortable with contact for a slim frame, in comparison to some of the other medium defender options in the draft frame he's looking pretty high up, especially if he can keep improving each week. I could see him going first round if he gets an opportunity in the midfield, but currently I think a guy like Conrad Williams provides a similar skill set and he's more proven over time.

If the Bombers form continues you'll be in the Wardlaw/ Tsatas/ Lemmey/ Hewett range, Hewett fits the defensive requirement better than Tsatas but it's not something I see as a massive strength of his. I expect Szybkowski to force himself into the top 6/7 prospects by years end anyway though, so could well be in that conversation regardless
I agree if Szybkowski keeps this form up he’s a top 5.

Another player that looks to be rising IMO is Josh Bennetts from Eastern. It was remiss of me to not include him in my review. He’s got X factor. Uses the ball well and has got nice speed out of the stoppage. Thoughts?

Another player that looks to be rising IMO is Josh Bennetts from Eastern. It was remiss of me to not include him in my review. He’s got X factor. Uses the ball well and has got nice speed out of the stoppage. Thoughts?
You wouldn't believe it my dearest pushintheback, but Bennetts is ANOTHER that caught my eye in that Round 1 clash, hasvne't watched the Ranges since but it's good to see he's been winning it more and more. I was really impressed with his continual leading efforts through the Round 1 clash, and how well he was using the ball by foot even under pressure, he just seemed to weight it perfectly to dangerous spots inside 50

You wouldn't believe it my dearest pushintheback, but Bennetts is ANOTHER that caught my eye in that Round 1 clash, hasvne't watched the Ranges since but it's good to see he's been winning it more and more. I was really impressed with his continual leading efforts through the Round 1 clash, and how well he was using the ball by foot even under pressure, he just seemed to weight it perfectly to dangerous spots inside 50
He moves really well. Has got speed and nice hops for a small. He’s definitely one to watch as the year progresses. Would not be surprised if he gets a VM invite.

Hey Bangers, Thoughts on Jason Gilbee at the pios another strong 26 touch game on the weekend also had some missed opportunities on the scoreboard?

Hey Bangers, Thoughts on Jason Gilbee at the pios another strong 26 touch game on the weekend also had some missed opportunities on the scoreboard?
He's really impressed me this year, when he made the Academy squad I went back and watched some of his games last year and was somewhat disappointed, was a winger that didn't win much of it but has just thrived with his move to an inside role and is impacting when he's resting up forward as well. He's got some of the pretty classic traits you want with an inside mid; not afraid of contact and good by hand in tight, but the fact he also uses it well when he finds space is a big tick. He's another I want to see in person to get a better vibe for but there's no doubting his quality on performance so far

He's really impressed me this year, when he made the Academy squad I went back and watched some of his games last year and was somewhat disappointed, was a winger that didn't win much of it but has just thrived with his move to an inside role and is impacting when he's resting up forward as well. He's got some of the pretty classic traits you want with an inside mid; not afraid of contact and good by hand in tight, but the fact he also uses it well when he finds space is a big tick. He's another I want to see in person to get a better vibe for but there's no doubting his quality on performance so far
Where do you think you'd have ranked Alex Condon amongst this year's class? I thought he made the SA rucks look second rate in the under 17s last year, looked better than Broadbent too imo.

Also, how highly do you rate Binns?

Where do you think you'd have ranked Alex Condon amongst this year's class? I thought he made the SA rucks look second rate in the under 17s last year, looked better than Broadbent too imo.

Also, how highly do you rate Binns?
Condon was in my top 5 before we found out he was pursuing basketball instead, I imagine he would've held that ranking, even risen if he had developed more consistency as a forward option.

I like what Binns offers, good endurance and runs both ways on the wing, got some leg speed and a super penetrative kick. Can take a grab up forward and can find the goals well too, so I certainly rate him as draftable, just not really sure where abouts I'd rate him

AFL Round 5 Rolling Mock Draft
An exciting addition to my thread for this year, graciously stolen passed on by eDPS, a Rolling Mock Draft! Now please don't take too much from this, the year is young so rankings are naturally all over the place and what each club will be needing by years end will naturally change along with those rankings. From my Point of View, those first 11 Picks were purely putting names to clubs in that range, but from there onwards it became a lot more difficult just because of how many kids are looking good early on, as they start to put themselves into positions ranking wise it'll get easier, but there were about 20 kids in total I considered from the picks of Bevan to Gilbey

Round 5 Rolling Mock Draft.PNG
* I apparently got the order of West Coast and Essendon wrong, so now as fans you have the freedom of deciding whether you want to swap the players selected or keep the on you ended up with, enjoy 🤗

Last edited:
An exciting addition to my thread for this year, graciously stolen passed on by eDPS, a Rolling Mock Draft! Now please don't take too much from this, the year is young so rankings are naturally all over the place and what each club will be needing by years end will naturally change along with those rankings. From my Point of View, those first 11 Picks were purely putting names to clubs in that range, but from there onwards it became a lot more difficult just because of how many kids are looking good early on, as they start to put themselves into positions ranking wise it'll get easier, but there were about 20 kids in total I considered from the picks of Bevan to Gilbey

View attachment 1377213

I like this.

View attachment 1377213

You've got Essendon and West Coast the wrong way around.

Brisbane and Freo's tenuous but that may be the Fletcher thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back