briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Hi PMBangers ive possibly asked this question already, but forgotten in my old age.

What does next years KPP crop look like, from what you’ve seen early season, so far?

Any standouts from Sandy, the Rebels or WA at all?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hi PMBangers ive possibly asked this question already, but forgotten in my old age.

What does next years KPP crop look like, from what you’ve seen early season, so far?

Any standouts from Sandy, the Rebels or WA at all?
Looking a bit average so far, but I haven't really kept too much track of next year's cohort rankings wise. Curtin is shaping up as the best early on, but I think Archer Reid will be a riser over the next 18 months as he starts to gain some size

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
PMBangers ... probably not specific to 2022 but what is your opinion on the NGA system..along with the Northern academies. Are they working ? Are they sustainable? Are the Northern academies rights similar to the NGA ..as in not having the ability to match in the top40?

Do you have any idea on numbers at a lower levels in NSW... are there more kids playing the game since the introduction of GWS?

Relative to 2022... who do you see as the likely types this year and what range do you see them going?

Personally I like the idea of trying to develop talent thru academies... id not tie it to only indig players or Northern academies is it is. Anything that develops players , creates more players of a better talent is better for all in the end. One can then debate about dividing up the talent if one side is gaining too much from it. We are not that far away from a 19th and a 20th club... we will need all the talent that the afl clubs can find.

noobermensch

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
PMBangers ... probably not specific to 2022 but what is your opinion on the NGA system..along with the Northern academies. Are they working ? Are they sustainable? Are the Northern academies rights similar to the NGA ..as in not having the ability to match in the top40?

Do you have any idea on numbers at a lower levels in NSW... are there more kids playing the game since the introduction of GWS?

Relative to 2022... who do you see as the likely types this year and what range do you see them going?

Personally I like the idea of trying to develop talent thru academies... id not tie it to only indig players or Northern academies is it is. Anything that develops players , creates more players of a better talent is better for all in the end. One can then debate about dividing up the talent if one side is gaining too much from it. We are not that far away from a 19th and a 20th club... we will need all the talent that the afl clubs can find.
The problem with that is how you regulate it. If you allow clubs to gain some edge by granting priority access to the kids in their academy, and you open up the field to allow any kid to be brought into an academy, then you'll have an arms race where every club will be looking to sign up the best talent in the country at as young an age as they're allowed for their academy and there will no longer be an open draft. This is basically the kind of system you have with european soccer.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem with that is how you regulate it. If you allow clubs to gain some edge by granting priority access to the kids in their academy, and you open up the field to allow any kid to be brought into an academy, then you'll have an arms race where every club will be looking to sign up the best talent in the country at as young an age as they're allowed for their academy and there will no longer be an open draft. This is basically the kind of system you have with european soccer.

First ... I think there is no doubt that the draft atm..is not 100% open anyway, as you describe it. When some kids thru birth right or birth location get treated different to others. Ess like other clubs have an academy for Father Sons. Why put the brakes on it..if clubs can bring inside more talent.

Second.. Id rather have the problem of talent distribution than not enough talent. If ther4 had to be rules or reg brought in if one club or a group was making it unfair or had too much of an advantged then that could be done.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams

I'm a fan tbh, most clubs now are more involved with their local regions because of it. I think there was a better way to deal with bid matching restrictions rather than remove access completely within the top end, maybe make it first round bids have to have at least 1 first rounder used to match or something like that

botts

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
The academy system should be scrapped all together. Especial the swans academy. They have such an advantage over every single club in the comp it’s just crap. Keep the father son system but scrap everything else

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
First ... I think there is no doubt that the draft atm..is not 100% open anyway, as you describe it. When some kids thru birth right or birth location get treated different to others. Ess like other clubs have an academy for Father Sons. Why put the brakes on it..if clubs can bring inside more talent.

Second.. Id rather have the problem of talent distribution than not enough talent. If ther4 had to be rules or reg brought in if one club or a group was making it unfair or had too much of an advantged then that could be done.
Depends on what you imagine an academy looks and operates like.

There’s been a long discussion on our board about how our academy has appeared to operate.

Just from an outsiders view, I believe Gold Coasts academy is 100% growing the number of kids playing the game in their regions, and improving the talent pool up here, even if they aren’t producing a high number of afl caliber players.

Last edited:

Hammersoup

Senior List
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The academy system should be scrapped all together. Especial the swans academy. They have such an advantage over every single club in the comp it’s just crap. Keep the father son system but scrap everything else
Why keep father-son? It also impacts on the equity of the system.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Imbalances undermine the integrity of the competition. The AFL have already accepted that and clubs are no longer able to get a top tier player for a third rounder. They have an obligation to eliminate inequality.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Imbalances undermine the integrity of the competition. The AFL have already accepted that and clubs are no longer able to get a top tier player for a third rounder. They have an obligation to eliminate inequality.

There has always been and and always will be inequities. From supporter base's , home grounds and states and travelling. It worth it to try and keep it as level as possible but there will always been inequities. Will Freo ever been on a level par to West Coast? R3 pick..I presume you mean Father Son.. that rule has changed a heap of times...from the games required to what you pay. I still say that some sort of local input to your list is ideal, anything that help attach supporters to the team is good. The cost is always relevant to quality... and as it stands ..every clubs will pay what ever for a Nick Dacios and probably question if they should draft a Father Son good enough to be a rookie. We might have that choice at years end with Riccardi. Everyone loves the romanticism of the Father son.. when he has talent.

I like it the Northern clubs develop talent, the more the better. For the moment im not overly concerned with making sure everyone can get access to the talent.... , maybe if all four clubs were in the 8 id change that. I agree if traditional state clubs had that advantage it would create issues.... but maybe those issues would be countered by having more players for everyone to chose from... but arent we half there with some NGA kids.

Anyway... I dont want to clog PMBanger thread.. I just wanted to ask him about how things were going.

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Hows this years draft? Having not had a top 10 pick in over a decade i haven't been as intrigued for an upcoming draft in a while.

How is this years draft pool? Strong/weak?

Are there any good midfielders?

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll do last years draft class given it's fresher in the memory and I watched a lot more than any other year. I ended last year with Daicos, Horne-Francis and Callaghan in 1, 2 and 3 overall for reference, mix in the boys from this year it's;

1. Wardlaw
2. Daicos
3. Jason Horne-Francis
4. Ashcroft
5. Callaghan
6. Tsatas

but it's not worlds apart between any of them, 6 players that all played a similar position but go about it very differently
Hey mate thanks for the thread.

WCE are dying for a gun onballer, hoping they get a top 5 pick. Will they be able to land one at this range?

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
2022 AFL Academy list: Player-by-Player Here's a write-up of some of the major players this year.
Cheers i'll have a look. I can see there are some mids on this list, however are these players touted for picks in the late first rounder, or some of these mids expected to go top 5? I dont want us to draft a guy who is really a pick worth in the 10-20's just for the sake as we need young mids.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cheers i'll have a look. I can see there are some mids on this list, however are these players touted for picks in the late first rounder, or some of these mids expected to go top 5? I dont want us to draft a guy who is really a pick worth in the 10-20's just for the sake as we need young mids.
Tsatas, Wardlaw, and Hewett are all around that mark. Wardlaw a strong pick 1 contender.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Given you'll have pick 1 or 2, have a look at Wardlaw and Tsatas. You'll likely get one of these two.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Hey mate thanks for the thread.

WCE are dying for a gun onballer, hoping they get a top 5 pick. Will they be able to land one at this range?
Plenty of options. George Wardlaw is my clear number 1 prospect currently and is just a complete midfielder, essentially no faults to his game. Elijah Tsatas and Elijah Hewett are two others that'll likely he in that range, Hewett being a WA boy may appeal the most

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Given you'll have pick 1 or 2, have a look at Wardlaw and Tsatas. You'll likely get one of these two.
Not sure we'll get pick 1/2,expect us to win games at the end of year unfortunately, when we get players back.

What about the lions father son player, do you think he'll nominate the lions?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Not sure we'll get pick 1/2,expect us to win games at the end of year unfortunately, when we get players back.

Early on but I'd be surprised of he didn't

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Fair point, you may well see some improvement, gonna be a hard slog till then though.

As for Ashcroft - that has been a talking point, and will likely continue to be until he comes out and says so one way or another. Lions would be very attractive to go to for a young player is all I'll say...

An option, if your recruiter is brave, would be to put the high pick up for trade for two lower top-10 picks - try to then pick up two of Hewett, Broadbent & Busslinger, all terrific young WA boys. But it'd be a risky strategy.

Back