Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

dkalphy

All Australian
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair point, you may well see some improvement, gonna be a hard slog till then though.

As for Ashcroft - that has been a talking point, and will likely continue to be until he comes out and says so one way or another. Lions would be very attractive to go to for a young player is all I'll say...

An option, if your recruiter is brave, would be to put the high pick up for trade for two lower top-10 picks - try to then pick up two of Hewett, Broadbent & Busslinger, all terrific young WA boys. But it'd be a risky strategy.
I see. I just want a potential A grade on baller, reckon this draft class can give us that?

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Not sure we'll get pick 1/2,expect us to win games at the end of year unfortunately, when we get players back.

What about the lions father son player, do you think he'll nominate the lions?
Fair to say it's been a talking point on our draft thread, the interview I think you're talking about was from the start of the season and to me it sounded like he was just trying to say all the right things rather than publicly committing one way or another. Having said that he spent a couple weeks training with us in the preseason, has been to a watch couple of our games and played with our VFL side on the weekend, good signs for us I think.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There has always been and and always will be inequities. From supporter base's , home grounds and states and travelling. It worth it to try and keep it as level as possible but there will always been inequities. Will Freo ever been on a level par to West Coast? R3 pick..I presume you mean Father Son.. that rule has changed a heap of times...from the games required to what you pay. I still say that some sort of local input to your list is ideal, anything that help attach supporters to the team is good. The cost is always relevant to quality... and as it stands ..every clubs will pay what ever for a Nick Dacios and probably question if they should draft a Father Son good enough to be a rookie. We might have that choice at years end with Riccardi. Everyone loves the romanticism of the Father son.. when he has talent.

I like it the Northern clubs develop talent, the more the better. For the moment im not overly concerned with making sure everyone can get access to the talent.... , maybe if all four clubs were in the 8 id change that. I agree if traditional state clubs had that advantage it would create issues.... but maybe those issues would be countered by having more players for everyone to chose from... but arent we half there with some NGA kids.

Anyway... I dont want to clog PMBanger thread.. I just wanted to ask him about how things were going.
Why are you discussing WC unless you see an advantage of the AFL's creation that they hold. And if there is, then of course it should be addressed. I mean, there is no question that sport should aspire to equal opportunity is there?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Fair point, you may well see some improvement, gonna be a hard slog till then though.

As for Ashcroft - that has been a talking point, and will likely continue to be until he comes out and says so one way or another. Lions would be very attractive to go to for a young player is all I'll say...

An option, if your recruiter is brave, would be to put the high pick up for trade for two lower top-10 picks - try to then pick up two of Hewett, Broadbent & Busslinger, all terrific young WA boys. But it'd be a risky strategy.
At this stage no club holds 2 x top 10 picks. WC have previously tried down high first round picks though.

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Hi PMBangers ive possibly asked this question already, but forgotten in my old age.

What does next years KPP crop look like, from what you’ve seen early season, so far?

Any standouts from Sandy, the Rebels or WA at all?

The one WA player in the 2005 age group standing out is Coen Livingstone (Perth) 197cm.

He is incredibly mobile for a big 16 year old - plays key forward and has spells in the ruck.

Not too dissimilar to Logan McDonald in some ways although Livingstone will spend more time on the ball at colts level.

Has already forced his way into the WA state 18's team. He won't play this week due to PSA commitments with Aquinas but last week's colts match is available as a replay on streamer and I think for a 16 year old you will be impressed with his upside, early co-ordination and mobility.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
The one WA player in the 2005 age group standing out is Coen Livingstone (Perth) 197cm.

He is incredibly mobile for a big 16 year old - plays key forward and has spells in the ruck.

Not too dissimilar to Logan McDonald in some ways although Livingstone will spend more time on the ball at colts level.

Has already forced his way into the WA state 18's team. He won't play this week due to PSA commitments with Aquinas but last week's colts match is available as a replay on streamer and I think for a 16 year old you will be impressed with his upside, early co-ordination and mobility.

Who are the top WA prospects not attending a private school?

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Who are the top WA prospects not attending a private school?

Well I have contributed to another thread with that info here Under Age - 2022 U17s (2023 Draft Cohort)

But in order as I have them for now from the 2005's

Non PSA from 2005
1= Koltyn Tholstrup (Subiaco)
3 Riley Hardeman (Swan Districts)
6 Clay Hall (Peel)
7 Tyzreise Clark (Subiaco)
8 Reece Torrent (Peel)
11-Lance Collard (Subiaco)
12-Ethan Logan (Peel)
14-Mitchell Edwards (Peel)
15-Riley Crane (Subiaco)
16-Mitchell Williams (East Perth)
17-Luker Kentfield (Subiaco)
21-Bailey Harbour (East Perth)
23-Jared Filmer (East Fremantle)
24-Max Willson (Claremont)
25-Quayden Roe (Perth)

PSA players from 2005
1=Daniel Curtin (Claremont/PSA)
4-Coen Livingstone (Perth/PSA)
5-Koen Sanchez (East Fremantle/PSA)
9-Kobe Austin (East Fremantle/PSA)
10-Mitchell Keene (Perth/PSA)
13-Adam De Masi (East Perth/PSA)
18-Jett O'Rourke (East Perth/PSA)
19-Bailey. Banfield (Claremont/PSA)
20-Aiden O'Driscoll (Perth/PSA)
22-Jett Sibosado (Claremont/PSA)
29-Aiden Riddle (Claremont/PSA)
34-Sam Van Rooyen (Claremont/PSA)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Why are you discussing WC unless you see an advantage of the AFL's creation that they hold. And if there is, then of course it should be addressed. I mean, there is no question that sport should aspire to equal opportunity is there?

Only as you are a freo supporter, I thought you may agree they have some advantages over Freo. Im not try to be antagonistic. Geelong have advantages and disadvanatges over some other teams. Equality is something that is an ideal but probably not attainable. Should sport aspire to equal opportunity and how much effort and leverage should that put towards that ends... I think that subject has the potential to really take us off track in PMB's thread so I will leave it there in here.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
The Lions could not miss on a second Father Son pick one could they? One would think that a kid would prefer to go to them and give a go.. if it doesn't work he can do a Schache.
There was more to it than Murphy not wanting to go to Brisbane to be fair, but that's not really a topic I want to go into.

Just on what I've heard and spoken to people about, at this stage I genuinely don't think Will has considered it all that much, but think when the time comes he'll nominate Brisbane. It's sort of one of those things that I think people are putting too much thought into, I prefer to sit back and just let it play out

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There was more to it than Murphy not wanting to go to Brisbane to be fair, but that's not really a topic I want to go into.

Just on what I've heard and spoken to people about, at this stage I genuinely don't think Will has considered it all that much, but think when the time comes he'll nominate Brisbane. It's sort of one of those things that I think people are putting too much thought into, I prefer to sit back and just let it play out

thx for that. I guess Brisbane and Syd are little luck to have academies and access to Father Sons. Im not sure why there is hesitancy in saying..id want to go there. Just about the best in the comp atm.

Looking a bit average so far, but I haven't really kept too much track of next year's cohort rankings wise. Curtin is shaping up as the best early on, but I think Archer Reid will be a riser over the next 18 months as he starts to gain some size

So if next years talls are average... do you think we will see most teams go heavy, hard and early this year if they are better than average?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
So if next years talls are average... do you think we will see most teams go heavy, hard and early this year if they are better than average?
KPP's generally go the higher end of their range when taken regardless of quality of talls in that draft or the next, maybe some clubs will prioritise talls but I'm making that call very early, and granted I haven't watched many games with 2023 eligible talls either so far. I think if anything we'll see clubs go for more rucks this year even if they've got decent stocks there; Broadbent, Barnett, O'Keeffe, Verall and Howe all look draftable, Verall and Howe more as rookies for me, but that's a pretty good list of rucks for one draft

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Only as you are a freo supporter, I thought you may agree they have some advantages over Freo. Im not try to be antagonistic. Geelong have advantages and disadvanatges over some other teams. Equality is something that is an ideal but probably not attainable. Should sport aspire to equal opportunity and how much effort and leverage should that put towards that ends... I think that subject has the potential to really take us off track in PMB's thread so I will leave it there in here.
There are inequalities that you can address and ones that you cannot. The draft is one you can address.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
On yesterday’s VFL performance I think it’s reasonable to say W. Ashcroft has rocketed into the #1 spot.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
On yesterday’s VFL performance I think it’s reasonable to say W. Ashcroft has rocketed into the #1 spot.
At this stage I'm not sure there's much that could knock Wardlaw out of my number 1 spot. Haven't watched his performance v Coburg but from the Sydney game I think he was doing as well as expected, but I'm not really sure there's anything new he showed or we learnt about him

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
At this stage I'm not sure there's much that could knock Wardlaw out of my number 1 spot. Haven't watched his performance v Coburg but from the Sydney game I think he was doing as well as expected, but I'm not really sure there's anything new he showed or we learnt about him
I have had wardlaw as my #1 until yesterday. What this performance shows is that Ashcroft can play at a high level at senior state league footy. Hes clean, has uses the ball well but most of all he’s realisable and trust worthy.

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wardlaw is very good but his strength is being a bull at 180cm being a bull at afl won’t be his strength. He isn’t a great accumulator and his overall tank isn’t high end. So for me I don’t have him as a smear number 1. I have Ashcroft easily and he is in the nick daicos mould but has more hardness than daicos.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Wardlaw is very good but his strength is being a bull at 180cm being a bull at afl won’t be his strength. He isn’t a great accumulator and his overall tank isn’t high end. So for me I don’t have him as a smear number 1. I have Ashcroft easily and he is in the nick daicos mould but has more hardness than daicos.
That'd be an excellent point if Wardlaw relied on size and strength to play his game, but he doesn't, he's all technique and instinct with his style. Not sure about his endurance though, ran through the midfield essentially all game in Round 1 and has been recovering from illness/ on managed minutes since, seems harsh to make a call like that at this stage

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
That'd be an excellent point if Wardlaw relied on size and strength to play his game, but he doesn't, he's all technique and instinct with his style. Not sure about his endurance though, ran through the midfield essentially all game in Round 1 and has been recovering from illness/ on managed minutes since, seems harsh to make a call like that at this stage
Agree a bit harsh. Wardlaw is a jet. Unfortunately he won’t get any senior exposure until next year so it’s unknown what he will produce, but if he produces what he does at NAB he will have a long successful career. Ashcroft has finished school so is able to have more flexibility with the games he chooses to play in the breaks.

PocketRocket08

Senior List
Apr 26, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is a jet no doubt so not being harsh at all. I just believe Ashcroft is a more complete player. I have no doubt Wardlaw is going to be a very good AFL player. Apologies if I have come across in a negative way. I feel a few are being the same as Ashcroft and I’m a huge fan of his and see him as number 1.
If north finish bottom do they take Wardlaw as he seems similar to HF… do they look at tsatas who can run and spread and maybe help compliment HF.

Back