Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering we're lacking X factor in our small forward group I think Munkara is the better fit
Neither are really small at 185 and 186 respectively, there's not many options for those under 183 cm types in terms of X-Factor for this year unfortunately

I had moved Busslinger above Lemmey earlier in the month tbf, and I think especially with more dominant young KPF's in the league such as Curnow, McKay, King x2, etc. that it may be better for clubs to start prioritising defenders when they can.
So, in the context of the original question, would you be prepared to select Busslinger (for Norths) at pick #1 or #2 ahead of the KPFs?

So, in the context of the original question, would you be prepared to select Busslinger (for Norths) at pick #1 or #2 ahead of the KPFs?
Oh my yes, makes sense given list needs and how I see the crop after Wardlaw and Ashcroft

I had moved Busslinger above Lemmey earlier in the month tbf, and I think especially with more dominant young KPF's in the league such as Curnow, McKay, King x2, etc. that it may be better for clubs to start prioritising defenders when they can, I say this still reeling that we didn't nab Josh Gibcus as well FWIW. I also look at some of the current top sides like Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton and Brisbane, all have really strong midfields obviously but I'd argue that their backlines are significantly better than their forward lines (can see the argument the other way for Carlton though), it's the same for Richmond in their period of dominance too

In saying that, for GWS specifically we probably need more KPF's, preferably ones that will play as a main target, so I could see us preferring Scully/ Lemmey for that, but if we're happy to persist with Hogan, Sproule, Riccardi, Resting Rucks, etc. then Busslinger and Sheezel are the two that compliment our list the most imo.
If we have a fully healthy list, our forward line is significantly better than our back line.

But it’s like no one’s really watches us.

Andrews and Gardiner have been pretty bad this year. Both carried injuries through most of last season and were poor, and both are having form issues this this year.

Marcus Adams is really covering up how bad Andrews and Gardiner have been this year.

If we have a fully healthy list, our forward line is significantly better than our back line.

Andrews and Gardiner have been pretty bad this year. Both carried injuries through most of last season and were poor, and both are having form issues this this year.

Marcus Adams is really covering up how bad Andrews and Gardiner have been this year.
Yeah look I barely watch my own team let alone others at AFL tbh, so largely going off the limited amounts I have seen/ projecting from last season. I guess it's a bit of a double sided coin as well, having someone like Adams that a lot would consider your 2nd/ 3rd best KPD (that's if people consider Gardiner a KPD as well) being able to step up when Andrews isn't 'on' is sort of what I'm speaking about as well, very rarely do you see May/ Lever/ Petty, Weitering/ Young, Logue/ Pearce/ Chapman both have a poor game in the same week, having that security on top of the overall quality is a big thing for me, with all those clubs having very capable smaller types like Saad, Docherty, Salem, Rivers, Bowey, Rich, Starcevich that can defend just as well as they can launch an attack. It doesn't help that a lot of our defenders are out of form at GWS, but it feels like when a Taylor or Haynes aren't playing well, then pretty much none of our defenders are which is why I'd be in favour of Busslinger early on for us and any other club, he's capable of playing an offensive game or shut down (like we saw against the Pies VFL) and pretty consistently turns up. It's probably a bit old fashioned, but I really think a strong backline can make the rest of the team a lot better than a strong forward line, sorry if Brisbane aren't the best example for that this year

Brayden George and Anthony Munkara are the two other standouts, George a but more of a powerful player with his athleticism but Munkara has a lot of X-Factor in how he goes about it
Do you think George can make the transition into the midfield?
Heard a few Petracca comps for him (no pressure, lad) but do you think he has that scope?

Do you think George can make the transition into the midfield?
Heard a few Petracca comps for him (no pressure, lad) but do you think he has that scope?
He certainly does, but I imagine he's just going to be too good as a forward to move there permanentlyat the next level, although I imagine he'll get his opportunities in the guts for Murray as the season rolls on

A sloth is quicker than Andrews.

Marcus Adams has been really good though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither are really small at 185 and 186 respectively, there's not many options for those under 183 cm types in terms of X-Factor for this year unfortunately

Having stood next to him multiple times, including playing on him, I reckon Munkara is quite a bit taller than 186cm.

I don’t hate it, especially with the Allies sort of missing out last year. If playing overage guys makes them more competitive and allows the draft age players to shine then I’m all for it.

I’m just hoping more people join me on the Lloyd Johnston train once the Champs gets underway.

This kid has tremendous upside.

They don't have to be small, medium also works. Just gotta be good at small forward craft. Hayward and Heeney play more tall than small and Wicks is an out and out pressure forward so that leaves only Papley as the typical small. Just need a partner for him more than anything

As a whole package I think it's Taranto, more athletic and has the runs on the board in a clear second position so isn't one that has to be in the guts for a whole game. Neither are great kicks to be fair, but Taranto is definitely more polished when he's winning it out in space/ going for goal, but obviously both share a lot of the same strengths as contested ball winners with size, will be disappointing to see either of them go but the reality is that we have too many of that sort of midfielder.
I think Hopper is comfortabley a better mid fielder. Taranto the more versatile.

As a whole package I think it's Taranto, more athletic and has the runs on the board in a clear second position so isn't one that has to be in the guts for a whole game. Neither are great kicks to be fair, but Taranto is definitely more polished when he's winning it out in space/ going for goal, but obviously both share a lot of the same strengths as contested ball winners with size, will be disappointing to see either of them go but the reality is that we have too many of that sort of midfielder.

Probably not the right thread for it but in comparing the two... one OOC and one as a pre agent ... what do you see as their value. a Shiel type trade ...less or more? Is Taranto more a pure mid if he was playing elsewhere?

#24 Luke Teal (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Defender | 20/05/2004 | 188cm | 80kg

While he took some time to get up to speed, Teal ended up as one of the Academy’s best defenders with his versatility and athleticism on show. Undeterred by being caught holding the ball and giving away a couple more free kicks in the first half, the Oakleigh Chargers talent began to get stuck in and proved more polished as the game wore on. He really got going with an intercept mark in the third term, and competed well in the defensive 50 with his springy leap and desperation to cut off Collingwood attacks.

Something about Teal took my eye. Just thought he exhibited traits that would transfer well although I have no idea how his combine numbers look. At NAB level ..does he only play in D? What is his capabilities as a defensive mid?

Probably not the right thread for it but in comparing the two... one OOC and one as a pre agent ... what do you see as their value. a Shiel type trade ...less or more? Is Taranto more a pure mid if he was playing elsewhere?

Dylan Shiel was 25/26 when he left.
Hopper is the same age pretty much.
Taranto is a year younger at 24.

Shiel is probably more explosive out of a stoppage than both Hopper and Taranto but Hopper and Taranto are both better at contested ball than Dylan Shiel.
Shiel never won a b&f at the Giants. Both Taranto (2019) & Hopper (2020) have won a b&f at the Giants.
I would think it all comes down to if it comes to a bit of a bidding war as to how much they are worth.
Probably right now Taranto is in front as Hopper is out injured and the fact that Taranto has more runs on the board as a mid / forward. Probably a pick 10-15 is fair for either player.

Dylan Shiel was 25/26 when he left.
Hopper is the same age pretty much.
Taranto is a year younger at 24.

Shiel is probably more explosive out of a stoppage than both Hopper and Taranto but Hopper and Taranto are both better at contested ball than Dylan Shiel.
Shiel never won a b&f at the Giants. Both Taranto (2019) & Hopper (2020) have won a b&f at the Giants.
I would think it all comes down to if it comes to a bit of a bidding war as to how much they are worth.
Probably right now Taranto is in front as Hopper is out injured and the fact that Taranto has more runs on the board as a mid / forward. Probably a pick 10-15 is fair for either player.

Yes Taranto is probably closer to Smith 6 years. Not sure if Shiel or Smith were uncontracted etc and the injury fitness thing will probably play a part. Be interesting to see the outcome.

Something about Teal took my eye. Just thought he exhibited traits that would transfer well although I have no idea how his combine numbers look. At NAB level ..does he only play in D? What is his capabilities as a defensive mid?
He's only played the one NAB League game so far, but I imagine he'll get some midfield time given he had some rotation through the at the U17s champs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back