Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first round drafting over the past 10 years is the worst in the AFL by a long way, which is why we have virtually no elite talent at the club and rely on battlers like Laird (rookie draft), Keays (delisted / rookie draft), O’Brien (rookie draft), Butts (rookie draft), Murray (preseason rookie addition) to hold the team together.

To illustrate my point, some of our first round failures include:

Milera over Curnow
McAsey over Serong / H Young / K Pickett / W Day
C Jones over Butters / J Clark
McHenry over the 40 players taken after him who are better at pretty much everything other than looking like they’re trying hard
Gallucci over English

Yuck
LOL.

Laird a battler, what absolute unadulterated rubbish.
Draft position for any fair minded person has absolutely nought to do with a players career outcome.

Surely you don't class Rory Laird as a "battler"?

A 2 time All Australian as a small defender and has certainly proven himself to be a tad more than a battler since moving to the midfield.
No I don't. But I do completely agree that our first round drafting has been really poor in recent times. I'm sure this discussion has been done to death on the Crows board (where it belongs) but our list is really poorly positioned as a result of poor first round recruiting (and development). Thankfully I think our last two drafts have been much better and we're looking well positioned to add another quality player this year.

No I don't. But I do completely agree that our first round drafting has been really poor in recent times. I'm sure this discussion has been done to death on the Crows board (where it belongs) but our list is really poorly positioned as a result of poor first round recruiting (and development). Thankfully I think our last two drafts have been much better and we're looking well positioned to add another quality player this year.
Yep and hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately recruiters don't have that advantage.

PMBangers what are the chances of Sheezel going before Wardlaw?
It'll just depend on what North feel suits them better I think, but its a lot closer between them now than it was a month ago with Sheezel really taking advantage of the champs to strut his stuff, it's really a win win at this stage with Pick 1

It'll just depend on what North feel suits them better I think, but its a lot closer between them now than it was a month ago with Sheezel really taking advantage of the champs to strut his stuff, it's really a win win at this stage with Pick 1
Do you reckon there's a chance Tsatas goes 1st?

His combination of size, explosive athleticism and ball-winning ability are rare. His game seems made for the AFL too.

His combination of size, explosive athleticism and ball-winning ability are rare. His game seems made for the AFL too.
Surely Tsatas needed some More exposed form in 2022 to be a chance for number one..
On Shezel he’d be a bit of an outlier in terms of types that are generally taken at one. Beautiful skills but low production compared to Wardlaw. I think AFL clubs like high production to be more confident of their selection. Production is a skill that not everyone has, just like kicking and handballing…I know Shezel had a couple of massive games but the champs games I saw he didn’t do that much inside the contest..

I'd be surprised given the injury and the fact he has a few more concerns around his game than others around the mark, so he's a fair bit more risky than Wardlaw, Sheezel, Ashcroft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be surprised given the injury and the fact he has a few more concerns around his game than others around the mark, so he's a fair bit more risky than Wardlaw, Sheezel, Ashcroft
What are the concerns in your opinion?

From what I've seen, his defensive work rate is pretty much non existent. He moves like Usain Bolt when he has the ball or is looking for a handball receive, but is noticeably slower when he has to chase or help defend.

PM, a change of questioning but do you see any not too flashy, smaller lockdown defenders in this crop?
They aren't the most exciting kids normally but some like to have one or two on the list who can come in and 'do a job'

I also like Patrick Weckert from Woodville-West Torrens. He's spent alot of time forward in the few games he's played at U18 level this year, but I prefer him in the back half. He reads the flight of the ball really well and he's got a really nice, penetrating kick. He's key position size who could take kick-outs at the next level.
Weckert kicked 8 goals in his SANFL Reserves debut. Play him in defence though he reckons..

What are the concerns in your opinion?

From what I've seen, his defensive work rate is pretty much non existent. He moves like Usain Bolt when he has the ball or is looking for a handball receive, but is noticeably slower when he has to chase or help defend.
I'm not convinced his ball use, particularly by foot, is as good as has been made out. I've also got to question his overall durability given the time missed this year, but he also managed to miss the U17s NAB League games last year as well
PM, a change of questioning but do you see any not too flashy, smaller lockdown defenders in this crop?
They aren't the most exciting kids normally but some like to have one or two on the list who can come in and 'do a job'
There'd be a few about but I haven't really taken notice of any tbh. Max Clohesy and Cooper Vickery are the only two off the top of my head that are smalls. Callum Verrell is a bit taller but I think projects more as a lock down player, he'd be the best of those 3 imo
where do you have Indhi Kirk and is he better or worse than Jackson Archer?
I don't have him anywhere tbh, different players but Archer showed more to be confident in his translation to the next level.
Weckert kicked 8 goals in his SANFL Reserves debut. Play him in defence though he reckons..
Like a young me, don't want to play forward just to keep the game fair

I'm not convinced his ball use, particularly by foot, is as good as has been made out. I've also got to question his overall durability given the time missed this year, but he also managed to miss the U17s NAB League games last year as well
So just the ball use is the concern re his game?

So just the ball use is the concern re his game?
Along with the defensive running, it's not much really but that's the difference between the top 3 and the chasing pack for me currently, Ashcroft, Sheezel and Wardlaw all have 1 concern overall but you're confident they'll be successful players at the next level regardless, but there's not as much confidence in the next lot of 6 or so

I've also got to question his overall durability given the time missed this year, but he also managed to miss the U17s NAB League games last year as well
Both Injuries he sustained are fairly different though, his reason for missing last year was a shoulder injury sustained trying to win a contested ball at pace and this year its a foot fracture. Not sure it’s enough to have durability as a question mark

Both Injuries he sustained are fairly different though, his reason for missing last year was a shoulder injury sustained trying to win a contested ball at pace and this year its a foot fracture. Not sure it’s enough to have durability as a question mark
That's an interest addition to this, so I will change it from a question on durability to a question on technique

Along with the defensive running, it's not much really but that's the difference between the top 3 and the chasing pack for me currently, Ashcroft, Sheezel and Wardlaw all have 1 concern overall but you're confident they'll be successful players at the next level regardless, but there's not as much confidence in the next lot of 6 or so
Fair enough.

Still early, but I have the three you mentioned and Tsatas as the four who look ahead of the rest at this stage

Ablett jnr, Judd and anyone else with shoulder injuries should have been taught proper technique.
If Gary Ablett was simply faster he would not have been tackled and dislocated his shoulder!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back