Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

970335.jpg

Hello friends, enemies and inbetweeners, and welcome to another year of not only marvellous, but objectively correct, draft observations brought to you by PMBangers of Rookie Me Central.

The 2022 class looked mighty impressive this time last year and fizzled out into a bit of an underwhelming group by the end of the season, so I won't be making any big claims about 2023 like I did last year. In saying that, this is easily the most enthused I've been about a draft in my short time following along.

Early on it looks like if your club has a need for some forward half X-Factor you're in luck, but as usual I expect quite a few of the flankers from last year to move into more permanent midfield roles and even out the position balance at the top end, but the mix of heights and traits amongst the higher end prospects is exciting for sure

As usual, feel free to ask questions, I need the attention, and also as usual, simpsons/ futurama/ office/ arrested development/ south park/ always sunny references are enjoyed and appreciated

If you feel inclined to share your very strong, and very good, opinions on this years crop and decide this thread is the best place to do it, maybe check out the 2023 General Draft discussion thread instead =) Preview - 2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

And if you just can't get enough of me, feel free to follow my twitter where I post about the games I'm attending

https://twitter.com/declan_reeve

TY xx

Rankings
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rankings to updated when I can be bothered

mar.PNG

(Pre-Season)

april.PNG

(23/4/23)
july.PNG

(10/07/23)
aug.PNG

(5/09/23)

october.PNG

(15/10/23)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Just as an FYI for context to my rankings, personally when ranking players based on bottom aged years I'm more so focusing on positives than negatives, so the rankings from Month 1 to Month 2 are likely to switch around dramatically as I narrow in on getting more critical of prospects

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams

Maximumlnsanity

All Australian
Nov 10, 2020
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Is Mitchell Edwards a ruck who can rest forward and kick goals, or a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Hi PMBangers long time lurker, first time poster. Big fan here.

Where do you rank Levi Ashcroft in next year’s draft please?

Dan Levy Actors On Actors GIF by PBS SoCal
He's in the top 100
Is Mitchell Edwards a ruck who can rest forward and kick goals, or a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck?
Far more natural in the ruck at the moment, ended up overtaking Jackson Broadbent for both Peel and WA last year which is a big statement on his ability considering how hulking Broadbent was. Without any full knowledge of the situation, I'd be guessing there'll be a bit more time up forward for him this season to expand his versatility

Maximumlnsanity

All Australian
Nov 10, 2020
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
He's in the top 100

Far more natural in the ruck at the moment, ended up overtaking Jackson Broadbent for both Peel and WA last year which is a big statement on his ability considering how hulking Broadbent was. Without any full knowledge of the situation, I'd be guessing there'll be a bit more time up forward for him this season to expand his versatility
Damn. We need the other kind. Still might be worth considering if Ladhams has another bad season. Otherwise I think all other KPFs are out of our range, and we really don't need anything else. I guess the slogans are gonna be the same as last year, "Trust Kinnear" & "All Hail Kinnear"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rankings to updated when I can be bothered

View attachment 1625795
Interesting you see Duursma as a Midfielder before a Forward. Do you think he has to show his midfield prowess to justify his ranking, or can he be like Sheezel and crack the top 5 based on his ability as a forward alone? If I was choosing between him as a forward and Caddy as a forward I'd be going Caddy, but Duursma as a midfielder is a very enticing prospect. Dare I say Hird-like in his distribution and spread from the contest.

And yes I will be including myself in the sarcastic "friends" list, at least until I find out how to could be bothered to start my own thread.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Interesting you see Duursma as a Midfielder before a Forward. Do you think he has to show his midfield prowess to justify his ranking, or can he be like Sheezel and crack the top 5 based on his ability as a forward alone? If I was choosing between him as a forward and Caddy as a forward I'd be going Caddy, but Duursma as a midfielder is a very enticing prospect. Dare I say Hird-like in his distribution and spread from the contest.

And yes I will be including myself in the sarcastic "friends" list, at least until I find out how to could be bothered to start my own thread.
The plan has always been for him to transition into a full time midfield role so I am banking on that coming through somewhat, but his midfield performances to date are enough for me to be confident in regardless, and in time I see him becoming a midfielder that rests forward at AFL level.

Even if it doesn't eventuate, I definitely think he's got enough to him as a forward to justify a top 10 pick currently, just absurdly versatile in his approach to forward 50 contests

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Knew you'd get a thread done Dec.

Now where's Ant?

Moaping over how s**t Tottenham are at the moment....?

Back on topic. Be keen to see the next 20 on the list. We seem incapable of selecting concensus players. We'll no doubt spin a mid 30's player into a first round pick. Just hope we go tall, finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back