Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both are draftable, unsure on the Suns list spots though which may see neither added in the end, but a quick rundown on each;

Johnston as you mentioned is an athletic halfback, got really good speed, leap and agility which he taps into well on field to be an aggressive rebounder and interceptor, his disposal is pretty good as well, can sometimes struggle under pressure like most players but he unleashes some ripping kicks heading forward when he manages to get loose. I reckon he's worth a punt later on in the National Draft if he doesn't get to the Suns given the potential there when he bulks up, understands structure a little better and improves his endurance

Tedcastle is really your classic hard at it small forward, really uncompromising in his attack on the footy and ball carrier with almost over the top aggression sometimes, and of course has those usual small forward tricks in the forward 50 that help him hit the scoreboard, particularly his front and centre work. A bit more to iron out with him than Johnston though would be the main factor between the two
Cheers. Both seem like they’ve got some tricks.

I can’t quite keep up with list spot business either so unsure how many we take. Wouldn’t be disappointed with either of them if available though.

You were going so well until you passed over Lemmey (in the unlikely event we take a forth pick). 😤
Someone on our board who has interviewed Lemmey for a Melbourne club said he wouldn't be surprised to see him go undrafted this year. Lots of personal issues going on in his life right now (wouldn't elaborate) but spoke highly of the kid's character. Said he believed he would struggle in an elite environment with those distractions next year.

What do you think is the risk v reward on Elijah Hewett? Could he cause trouble or be a flight risk?
I think he's a flight risk for sure, as for causing trouble it's an unknown really, he may have matured recently. It's only anecdotal and I don't claim to be some miracle worker in figuring this stuff out, but when I interviewed him he was really well spoken and level headed, but I'm also media so it may have been put on.

What I do know is that he's got a fantastic game on field, few limitations when he's up and about as a player and if clubs can get him to find some consistency he's going to be one of the best from the class. Ultimately the draft is about weighing up what risks you're willing to take, whether that's on someone with elite traits but not much craft, someone deemed a flight risk, or someone that may need some maturing/ mentoring, and to me Hewett is a worthwhile risk pretty high up, his game v VIC Metro this year and the second U17's clash v SA last year are him at his best and it's Petracca like

Hewett is definitely worth the risk where he is likely to go.
Anyone in the late teens early 20's had some questions, others they would have been picked up earlier.
With him, at least it is clear he can really play.

PMB - is Jefferson actually good, or are the KPDs this year loose and not lockdown enough to actually stop an opponent?
For a first round KPF prospect, he seems to (almost) be flying under the radar

PMB - is Jefferson actually good, or are the KPDs this year loose and not lockdown enough to actually stop an opponent?
For a first round KPF prospect, he seems to (almost) be flying under the radar
He stacks up well, some people just take issue with him not being a one-on-one beast but I reckon he's got the tools to be a successful target at AFL level; good contested mark, can hold them in packs, good leading patterns and solid defensive work rate, there's a little bit of the Kings about him, but he's going to be a slower burn given he needs to get a bit stronger

I think he's a flight risk for sure, as for causing trouble it's an unknown really, he may have matured recently. It's only anecdotal and I don't claim to be some miracle worker in figuring this stuff out, but when I interviewed him he was really well spoken and level headed, but I'm also media so it may have been put on.

What I do know is that he's got a fantastic game on field, few limitations when he's up and about as a player and if clubs can get him to find some consistency he's going to be one of the best from the class. Ultimately the draft is about weighing up what risks you're willing to take, whether that's on someone with elite traits but not much craft, someone deemed a flight risk, or someone that may need some maturing/ mentoring, and to me Hewett is a worthwhile risk pretty high up, his game v VIC Metro this year and the second U17's clash v SA last year are him at his best and it's Petracca like

Hewett’s Road to the Draft interview recorded at the National Combine was pretty insightful IMO.

Seems almost keen to move interstate, or at the very least, the idea doesn’t phase him.

Hewett’s Road to the Draft interview recorded at the National Combine was pretty insightful IMO.

Seems almost keen to move interstate, or at the very least, the idea doesn’t phase him.

Earlier today on another thread i posted if there was a draft for draftees interviews Hewitt would be #1. Very impressive!

I mean yeah, but as I said in the post you quoted what prospects are saying to the media can be put on to a degree, especially National Academy members who get their media training early in the year. Again I don't claim to be a Nostradamus with all of this stuff, I actively avoid the speculation in the media or on bigfooty, the go home concerns are stuff coming from recruiters or others I trust, and it changes club to club or recruiter to recruiter sometimes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he was putting it on it shows he's pretty smart. I thought his interview on the afl website was very impressive.

Even if he was putting it on it shows he's pretty smart. I thought his interview on the afl website was very impressive.
Things change as well. JHF slept in his North jumper on draft night. 11 months later...

Things change as well. JHF slept in his North jumper on draft night. 11 months later...
Do you remember when people convinced themselves it wasn't a staged photo? I 'member

How you feeling about you mock draft? Any late changes with the draft getting closer?
I put this one out Friday as my final draft

I'm pretty happy with it, from my understanding up until about 32 in my run there's interest from each respective club to the player selected, but live trading has made Phantom Drafts a rather pointless exercise, especially when teams with so many top 30 picks are looking at trading up or into next year

I'm pretty happy with it, from my understanding up until about 32 in my run there's interest from each respective club to the player selected, but live trading has made Phantom Drafts a rather pointless exercise, especially when teams with so many top 30 picks are looking at trading up or into next year

Quite different to Twomey’s. I like it. From a St Kilda perspective I wouldn’t be disappointed. Clark looks like a jet.

Quite different to Twomey’s. I like it. From a St Kilda perspective I wouldn’t be disappointed. Clark looks like a jet.
From a Saints fans perspective it's probably the most boring of the options you've been linked to, but I can't speak highly enough of his competiveness and character, but that Hawks-Bulldogs range in the top dozen is going to be largely dictated by what other clubs select imo given that group of talent seems pretty clearly above the next bunch

PMBangers how highly do you rate Hewett?

Lots of rumours that Saints are willing to trade out of next years draft to get him.

I watched all his champs games, and whilst his first was definitely impressive he was average at best after that.

I'm nervous we would be making a huge mistake, especially with the way next years draft is rated.

PMBangers how highly do you rate Hewett?

Lots of rumours that Saints are willing to trade out of next years draft to get him.

I watched all his champs games, and whilst his first was definitely impressive he was average at best after that.

I'm nervous we would be making a huge mistake, especially with the way next years draft is rated.
You'd think they could just grab him at 9/10 but is a reach by the sounds of the media / rumour mill.

PMBangers

Big tick from a Collingwood perspective IMO

Jefferson = I'm a fanboy so I love this
Barnett = My 2nd prefference for our 1st pick after Jefferson so obviously love this
Gruzewski = I like and may be best available but after Jefferson & Barnett a small like Burgiel might be better for list balance

Also:
Bidding on Davey = Tick
Bidding on Rowston = Tick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back