Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hey everyone thought I'd get my thread up and running. Just a quick disclaimer, because of other commitments I don't get to watch as match U18 footy as blokes like Knightmare but I am still happy to comment on what I have seen from the games I have watched.

Draft Rankings top 30 (I will update this through the year)

1. Jack Lukosius - Tall Forward
Woodville-West Torrens SA
194 cm 82 kg 9/8/2000

2. Sam Walsh - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/2000

3. Max King - Tall Forward
Sandringham Dragons VIC M
201 cm 86 kg 7/7/2000

4. Izak Rankine - General Forward/ Midfielder
West Adelaide SA
178 cm 74 kg 23/4/2000

5. Jack Bytel - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/2000

6. Ben King - Tall Defender
Sandrignham Dragons VIC M
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/2000

7. Jackson Hately - General Forward
Central District SA
189 cm 79 kg 21/1/2000

8. Tarryn Thomas - Midfielder/General Forward
North Launceston TAS North Melbourne NGA
187 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

9. Ian Hill - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth
174 cm 63 kg 9/2/2000

10. Jye Caldwell - Midfielder/ General Forward
Bendigo Pioneers VIC C
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/2000

11. Bailey Smith - Midfielder
184 cm 79 kg 7/12/2000

12. Nick Blakely - Tall Forward
UNSW NSW/ACT Sydney Swans Academy/ Brisbane Lions & North Melbourne Father Son
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/2000

13. Curtis Taylor - Midfielder/ General Forward
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/2000

14. Connor Rozee - General Forward/ Midfielder
North Adelaide SA
184 cm 72 kg 22/1/2000

15. Ned McHenry - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/2000

16. Bailey Williams - Ruck/ Tall Forward
Dandenong Stingrays VIC C
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/2000

17. Rhylee West - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/2000

18. Bailey Scott - Midfielder
Broad Beach QLD Gold Coast Suns Academy/ Geelong Cats & North Melbourne Father Son
184 cm 70 kg 9/7/2000

19. Luke English - Midfielder
Perth WA
179 cm 78 kg 20/8/2000

20. Issac Quaynor - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 82 kg 15/1/2000

21. Xavier Duursma - General Forward
Gippsland Power VIC C
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/2000

22. Zane Barzen - General Forward
Murray Bushrangers VIC C
193 cm 77 kg 29/10/2000

23. Sydney Stack - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth WA
179 cm 68 kg 28/4/2000

24. Chayce Jones - Midfielder
Launceston TAS
179 cm 73 kg 14/1/2000

25. Xavier O'Neill - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
183 cm 78 kg 3/8/2000

26. Matthew Walker - General Forward
Murray Bushrangers NSW/ACT GWS Academy

187 cm 76 kg 14/2/2000

27. Sam Fletcher - General Defender
187 cm 79 kg 27/1/2000

28. Matthew Green - General Utility
Spitfires NT
190 cm 67 kg 5/5/2000

29. Xavier O'Halloran - Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/2000

30. Mitch Riordan - Midfielder
186 cm 79 kg 25/1/2000

So over the next week I'll be releasing my phantom draft, all draft picks are as of 27th of October. I've decided not to incorporate live trading.

First round

Pick 1 - Sam Walsh - Carlton
Geelong Falcons Midfielder
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/00
Comparison: Adam Treloar
Reason: The long touted number 1 pick is as ready to go as any in this draft, and would've likely played in any team this year if allowed. Walsh is a complete package with a nice blend of inside and outside craft to his game he is a flexible option to fit into any midfield and one that'll be able to play with any other of the Carlton midfielders. Despite concerns over his kicking and ability to find separation from contests he is undoubtledly an excellent pick up. Another advantage of Walsh's is his character and leadership, being regarded as one of the best leaders in this years draft he is someone that Carlton will want as they look to launch up the ladder

Pick 2 - Jack Lukosius - Gold Coast
Woodville-West Torrens Tall Forward
194 cm 82 kg 9/8/00
Comparison: Nick Riewoldt (Less dominant 1 on 1)
Reason: Jack is one of the best prospects in the last decade and has deservingly drawn comparisons to St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt. The young forward has the height and athletiscism to dominate at the next level in a way we haven't seen before. Jack has a great array of attributes that will help him at the next level and is one of the smartest Tall Forwards I've seen. There are concerns over his one on one marking but with how he takes advantage of his speed and leading patterns I don't think it'll be an issue at the next level.

Pick 3 - Connor Rozee - Gold Coast
North Adelaide General Forward/ Midfielder
184 cm 74 cm 22/1/00
Comparison: Toby Greene (when playing as a forward)
Reason: The most well documented reason for this selection is that he and Jack are bestmates and Gold Coast see this as an advantage in keeping them both up there, I think that this is a reason but he is deserving of this pick. Connor is one of the smarter players in the draft with his running patterns and off the ball work being exceptional, as well as his disposal and mark he has a good projection to play as a Medium marking target, much like Toby Greene/ Jamie Elliott, in his early years and then pushing into a full time midfield role, but as clubs are looking more and more for versatility in their players he is someone a lot of clubs will want

Pick 4 - Max King - St Kilda
Sandringham Dragons Tall Forward
202 cm 86 kg 7/7/00
Comparison: Joe Daniher
Reason: Max unfortunately had his year cut short early on when he did his ACL, prior to which he was firmly in the Pick 1 conversation. With his height and leap Max was bound to be a dominant Key Forward and will most likely become one of the best when he hits his peak, being a smart player that takes advantage of open space and his speed. Questions are obviously raised about his ability to recover from such a devastating injury, especially when he is reliant on his speed, but he has been doing his rehab with St Kilda who have been pleased with his progress.

Pick 5 - Nick Blakey - Sydney matching Port Adelaide bid
UNSW Tall Forward
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/00
Comparison: -
Reason: Blakey is much like King and Lukosius a fantastic athlete and speedy tall forward who beats opponents with his footy IQ but has a better ability than both of those to win 1 on 1 marking contests. He probably needs to sure up his set shot kicking and stop phasing in and out of games as much as he does. I currently have Port bidding on him as I see a tall forward as a list need for them.

Pick 6 - Izak Rankine - Port Adelaide
West Adelaide Midfielder/ Small Forward
178 cm 76 kg 23/4/00
Comparison: Chad Wingard
Reason: One of the best U18 players I've ever seen, if not the best, it's honestly shocking to me that Carlton aren't taking him at Pick 1. There isn't much going against Rankine apart from his size, which many would argue is his biggest weapon. With an elite kick, speed and agility he is a dangerous player that makes an impact anywhere around the ground. Likely to be a small forward at the next level he could be the spark that Port really need.

Pick 7 - Bailey Smith - Gold Coast Suns
Sandringham Dragons Midfielder
185 cm 80 kg 7/12/00
Reason: I'm one of the few that rate Smith above Walsh. Like Walsh he's a complete midfielder with a good blend of inside and outside game, although he is more inclined to stick on the inside. He is a strong accumlator that has impactful possession with every kick, taking advantage of his footy smarts much like Andrew Brayshaw he has a habit of getting team mates involved in the game. The only fault in his game is 1 on 1's in the defensive half of the ground

Pick 8 - Ben King - Western Bulldogs
Sandringham Dragons Tall Utility
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/00
Reason: The bulldogs have a history of liking their versatile players and with the ability to play forward and back which are both areas the doggies could improve in he is a great option for them at this pick. Some would argue that Ben has now surpassed his brother, being able to seamlessly transition into the forward line to replace his brother for State, Club and School this year he's definitley made people question whether he's better down back or forward. Like most younf forwards needs to work on his set shots.

Pick 9 - Jackson Hately - Adelaide
Central District Midfielder/ General Forward
190 cm 81 kg 21/2/00
Comparison: Luke Parker (less explosive)
Reason: The tall midfielder fits into the new prototype and has one the most ready to go bodies of the first round talent. Hately is one I've admired for a long time, with elite accumulation for his age and cleanness with his handballing he is a great option for a team looking for impact from round 1. For Adelaide he probably doesn't address a particular need but being a local talent that projects to be an A grader for his position I don't think they turn him down. Needs to work on his kicking

Pick 10 - Riley Collier-Dawkins - GWS
Oakleigh Chargers Midfielder/ Tall Forward
193 cm 88 kg 3/2/00
Comparison: Marcus Bontempelli
Reason: Riley is one that has alot of people excited as another tall/big bodied midfielder that has the ability to go forward and kick goals while being a marking target. He fits in to GWS with Shiel leaving as a similar player who has the ability to win first possession out of stoppages and has very good acceleration to break away. He needs to work on his endurance and consistency

Pick 11 - Liam Stocker - Port Adelaide
183 cm 83 kg 23/1/00
Comparison: Tom Mitchell (more impactful kicking)
Reason: As I don't see anyone really good enough to warrant a selection that fills a list need for port I have gone for a best available which ends up being Liam Stocker. The 2018 Morrish Medallist is another strong inside accumulator, unlike Hately and Collier-Dawkins though he doesn't have a big body which makes a bit less desirable. Needs to work on his endurance

Pick 12 - Xavier Duursma - GWS
Gippsland Power Midfielder/ General Defender
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/00
Comparison: Andrew McGrath (not as good of a kick)
Reason: We have a few obvious list needs and someone to replace Heath Shaw when he retires is one of them. I strongly considered a bid on Quaynor or taking Clark here but I think Duursma, with his versatility to play everywhere and proven midfield form is the best option for us. He will need to improve his kicking but apart from that I think he's the best option here'

Pick 13 - Issac Quaynor - Collingwood matching Geelong's bid
Oakleigh Chargers General Defender
180 cm 82 kg 15/1/00
Reason: One of the best defenders in the draft Issac is someone that is attracting a lot of interest. With very little holes in his game he is another that is ready to go for round 1. One of the biggest strengths of Issac's is his ability to play on bigger opponents which some have questioned whether he'll be able to translate that to AFL level.

Pick 14 - Jordan Clark - Geelong
Claremont General Defender
182 cm 78 kg 16/10/00
Comparison: Zac Williams
Reason: Clark is a speedy rebounding defender with an amazing read of the footy and play, as well as having great disposal he's a great pick up for Geelong. The hope is that he will develop into a winger in the future as he has good ability to hold space. The biggest question mark over him is his contested ball winning, which has been fairly weak all year round but will need to improve

Pick 15 - Tarryn Thomas - North Melbourne matching Adelaide's bid
North Launceston Midfielder
189 cm 73 kg 25/3/00
Comparison: Jack Martin
Reason: Has been fairly underwhelming this year in comparison to 2017 but is still one of the better players in this draft. He brings a lot of class to the North Melbourne side with the ability to hit the scoreboard fairly easily. My biggest concern is his size as he is fairly light framed as it stands

Pick 16 - Zak Butters - Adelaide
Western Jets Midfielder/ Small Forward
178 cm 70 kg 8/9/00
Reason: A very good outside midfielder with a bag of tricks around goal, he's got a lot of X factor and footy smarts. The obvious concerns are around his size and endurance as it stands but I see him starting his career as a full time forward, where he will be able to learn from Eddie Betts

Pick 17 - Ian Hill - Fremantle
Perth Midfielder/ Small Forward
175 cm 76 kg 9/2/00
Comparison: Brad Hill
Reason: With a fairly young side Fremantle have a bit of flexibility with this pick, which is why I've gone with WA local Ian Hill who doesn't necessarily fill a list need but is a very good long term prospect. He has good speed and agility, as well as good disposal and goal sense. Much like Butters and Rankine his size is a concern currently

Pick 18 - Jye Caldwell - Port Adelaide
Bendigo Pioneers Midfielder
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/00
Comparison: Luke Shuey
Reason: One that was locked as a top 10 pick prior to the season Caldwell was unfortunately undone by injuries all year only managing 4 games, 3 TAC CUP and 1 state. This obviously brings his durability under the microscope but I think Port would back themselves to fix his injury issues and getting the pay off for this High Risk, High Reward pick up

Pick 19 - Chayce Jones - Adelaide
Launceston Midfielder
180 cm 74 kg 14/1/00
Reason: A very good midfielder with great proven ability and accumulation Chayce is another best available pick up. I'm a bit skeptical of this pick with Adelaide also picking up the undersized Butters. I rate Jones quite highly and think he could be a good Rory Sloane replacement in the future

Pick 20 - Curtis Taylor - Richmond
Calder Cannons General Forward/ Midfielder
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/00
Comparison: Robbie Gray/ Jordan De Goey mix
Reason: One of my favourite players in the draft Curtis brings a lot of X Factor to an already dangerous Richmond forward line with the ability to run through he middle he is someone that would be rated higher if he was more consistent.

Pick 21 - Ned McHenry - Brisbane Lions
Geelong Falcons Small Forward/ Midfielder
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/00
Comparison: Devon Smith
Reason: An elite pressure forward that is hard as nails, Ned is a very good player that will add grunt to Brisbanes forward line, while allowing someone like Cam Rayner to move into the midfield more often

Pick 22 - Sam Sturt - GWS
Dandenong Stingrays General Forward
188 cm 79 kg 2000 (couldn't find date)
Reason: A late season surger Sturt has impressed people with his athletic ability and overhead marking, making himself a strong marking target that has a 91 cm running vertical he is a difficult match up for anyone. Despite being raw I see him as a desirable pick for GWS as we look to add some verstatility in our forward line and another third tall to replace Lobb.

Pick 23 - Xavier O'Halloran - West Coast Eagles
Western Jets Midfielder
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/00
Comparison: Trent Cotchin
Reason: A high impact per possession midfielder that would fit right in and add to West Coasts midfield. He isn't a high accumulator but doesn't need a lot of touches to have a big impact on the game, with elite decison making he could turn out along the lines of a Scott Pendlebury

Last edited:
Round 2 Phantom Draft

Pick 24 - Jez McLennan - Adelaide
Central District General Defender
183 cm 81 kg 7/9/00
Comparison: Brayden Maynard (better kick)
Reason: After adding good talent in the forwardline and midfield I thought it'd be best for Adelaide to look into investing in their backline. McLennan has been a strong performer every since the champs this year where his read of the play and marking ability stood out. With McLennan coming on board it allows the crows some more flexibility with Laird and Smith to go into the midfield

Pick 25 - Rhylee West - Western Bulldogs matching West Coast Eagles bid
Calder Cannons Midfielder/ General Forward
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/00
Reason: A strong inside mid Rhylee has been touted as a top 30 pick all year with his bash and crash play style he is adding grunt to the bulldogs midfield and forwardline. Probably starts his career off as a defensive forward before moving into the midfield where his quick hands will make him a deadly opponent

Pick 26 - Sydney Stack - West Coast Eagles
Perth Midfielder/ Small Forward
179 cm 72 kg 28/4/00
Reason: Stack was one of the surprise packets of the champs for me, responding to being dropped from the first game against SA to be one of their best players Stacks work rate really shined through. He is a clean user of the footy that is a dominant stoppage player, both with ball in hand and getting it back. While I have no doubt Stack will be a great AFL midfielder I think he'll struggle early on as a small forward as he can have trouble hitting the scoreboard

Pick 27 - Jacob Kennerly - Melbourne
Norwood Midfielder
184 cm 76kg 16/6/00
Comparison: Lachie Whitfield
Reason: With a lack of outside speed and class currently on their list Kennerly makes sense for Melbourne to choose here. The dynamic midfielder has showcased all year his speed and agility, as well as excellent decision making with ball in hand. He's someone that will be a great link up player at the next level

Pick 28 - Bailey Scott - North Melbourne matching Gold Coast bid
Broadbeach Midfielder
184 cm 70kg 9/7/00
Comparison: Jarrad McVeigh
Reason: A clean user of the footy and a standout for the Allies Scott is a great player, utilising his skills and footy smarts often. Bailey is also a very hard worker, often running back into defence to help out and running forward to try and create goals

Pick 29 - James Rowbottom - Gold Coast Suns
Oakleigh Chargers Midfielders
185 cm 78 kg 19/9/00
Comparison: Josh P. Kennedy
Reason: Another good inside midfielder in this draft class Rowbottom is a great in and under player that is strong around stoppages. A hard worker around the ground he's the type of player that every club needs, despite being 'vanilla'. Biggest concern is a second position for him.

Pick 30 - Bailey Williams - GWS
Dandenong Stingrays Ruck/ Tall Forward
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/00
Comparison: Patrick Ryder
Reason: It's no secret that the ruck strocks at GWS are pretty thin, and despite having academy propect Briggs I think drafting two ruckmen is the best way to go about it. Williams has been dominant in TAC Cup for 2 years playing as a ruck and forward and it isn't just because of his size, finishing 6th in the 20m sprint at the national combine and rocking a 94 cm leap he is a difficult match up and will be a great player, whether as a forward or ruck is the question.

Pick 31 - Joseph Ayton-Delany - Melbourne
180 cm 68 kg 25/3/00
Reason: MAybe a bit early for some but I've long rated Joseph in my top 35 and was shocked to see he didn't get a national combine invite. A speedy half back with great rebound ability he'll be able to add depth to the dees backline and eventually push in, working alongside Michael Hibberd

Pick 32 - Luke Valente - Gold Coast Suns
Norwood Midfielder
186 cm 80 kg 8/5/00
Comparison: Ollie Wines (better kick)
Reason: Another young SA lad with great character for the suns will be hard to pass up, especially if they feel it gives them a chance to retain their earlier selections as well. Valente is another crash and bash midfielder with good disposal on both sides of his body. He has no problem finding the footy averaging a flat 22 disposals during the champs. Some concerns over his speed and general athleticism have been raised but he has been working on it in his time off.

Pick 33 - Jarrod Cameron - West Coast matching Brisbane bid
Swan Districts General Forward
180 cm 69 kg 3/5/00
Comparison: Charlie Cameron
Reason: A speedy forward Cameron has really impressed me this year. with his goal sense and marking ability, he is a dangerous small forward with a high work rate and pressure. I think it's obvious why WQest Coast wouldn't want to let such a talent slip.

Pick 34 - Kieran Briggs - GWS matching Brisbane bid
Pennant Hills Ruck
200 cm 98 kg 6/10/99
Comparison: Shane Mumford
Reason: The best pure ruck in the draft pool Briggs is not slipping away from GWS considering the issues we've had in the past. An outstanding Ruck with elite tap work and endurance for his size he's bound to be a great ruck. In combination with Williams would makle the GWS ruck division one to be envyed for years to come

Pick 35 - Ely Smith - Brisbane
Murray Bushrangers Midfielder
188 cm 86 kg 22/6/00
Reason: A great inside mid and one that many would say is a steal at 35, Smith has been improving from round 1. An excellent clearance player with clean hands he is a great inside mid that has proven himself capable against bigger bodies after playing in the Collingwood VFL side in the year. A ready to go round 1 player that will no doubt be utilised in brisbanes team

Pick 36 - Damon Greaves - Fremantle
East Perth General Defender
186 cm 74 kg 25/4/00
Reason: A very solid defender Greaves is one that has majorly flown under the radar this year, with little to no mention I think he's a great get for Freo at this pick. With a great read of the play and penetrating kick he's a great rebounder. Not a great contested mark as it stands but i'm sure with the right development he could be another Nathan Wilson

Pick 37 - Connor McFayden - Brisbane matching Western Bulldogs bid
Wilson Grange Midfielder/ General Forward
190 cm 88 kg 4/12/00
Comparison: Patrick Cripps (worse acceleration)
Reason: A big bodied hard at it midfielder, perfect for the mould of players like Cripps and Fyfe, falling into the Lions lap there is no chance they don't match a bid. Very clean at ground level and often beats opponents with his elite positioning McFayden is a smart player around the ground. Also has the ability to be impactful up forward.

Pick 38 - Luke Foley - Western Bulldogs
Subiaco Midfielder
187 cm 75 kg 9/10/99
Comparison: Stephen Coniglio (slower)
Reason: Foley impressed this year as an over ager with his clean skills and work rate tied in with his accumulation he's a very attractive prospect for any club, does struggle with being pushed around a bit but a few months in the gym will have him ready to go

Pick 39 - Jack Bytel - Essendon
Calder Cannons Midfielder
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/00
Reason: It'sd quite saddening for me to see Bytel having dropped so far down the draft order due to his injuries. One I rated top 5 early on injuries derailed his season, as he struggled with stress fractures in his back and hamstring issues. When he's on the park he's one of, if not the, best inside mids in this draft class with my only fault being his speed.

Pick 40 - Tom Sparrow - St Kilda
North Adelaide Midfielder
182 cm 81 kg 31/5/00
Comparison: Patrick Dangerfield
Reason: A very explosive competitive midfielder Sparrow is someone that everyone would love to play with, has a very team orientated game as he more often than not looks to dish off to a team mate running past or in a good position to kick for goal. Needs to sure up his kicking

Pick 41 - Toby Bedford - Melbourne matching Richmonds bid
Dandenong Stingrays Small Forward
178 cm 65 kg 27/5/00
Reason: A great pressure forward that has the ability to sneak goals I think Bedford would be a great addition to the Melbourne forward line, getting the crumbs from Wediman and MacDonald while applying his great tackling, he creates goals

Pick 42 - Fraser Turner - Richmond
Clarence Midfielder
186 cm 75 kg 26/12/00
Comaprison: -
Reason: A nice hybrid midfielder that will add some depth to Richmond after they lost so much during the trade period.

Pick 43 - Jacob Koschitzke - Sydney
Murray Bushrangers Tall Defender
196 cm 94 kg 11/7/00
Reason: With Grundy getting older and some of their younger KPD's not impressing (Maibaum, Marsh) I think Sydney go with one of the more impressive KPD's in this draft. A great one-on-one player that puts everything on the line to win the footy he's the type of aggressive defender Sydney need.

Pick 44 - Tom McKenzie - Sydney
Northern Knights Midfielder/ General Defender
184 cm 71 kg 23/6/00
Reason: A strong inside midfielder with the ability to move into the backline McKenzie was one that was predicted to go first round earlier in the year, but a combination of a niggle and his TAC side underperforming has sent him down the draft order. Sydney will appreciate his clearance work and distribution in traffic

Last edited:

Phantom Draft Round 3

Pick 45 - Lachlan Sholl - Sydney Swans
Calder Cannons General Defender
185 cm 77 kg 7/3/00
Reason: Asking swans fans I know they mentioned 3 needs; A tall lockdown defender, an inside bull and a medium defender, with the first two addressed I've gone with Sholl as the best available general defender

Pick 46 - Luke English - Fremantle
Perth Midfielder
180 cm 76 kg 20/8/00
Reason: Freo currently need more midfield depth and will be more than happy to grab English who was predicted to go top 20 at the start of the year.

Pick 47 - Sam Flecther - Western Bulldogs
Dandenong Stingrays Midfielder/ General Defender
187 cm 79 kg 27/1/00
Reason Another fairly versatile player to fit into the dogs system, had a very good Grand Final display in the TAC Cup and is probably a bit under rated.

Pick 48 - Riley Bowman - St Kilda
Dandenong Stingrays Ruck
198 cm 82 kg 25/2/00
Reason: With Hickey gone their ruck stocks are fairly thin so they add a good developing ruck to their ranks.

Pick 49 - Charlie Sprague - Geelong
Geelong Falcons General Forward
187 cm 79 kg 8/5/00
Reason: A local product that had a large chunk of his season ruined with a finger injury. One of the most dangerous third tall type players in the draft with plenty of footy smarts

Pick 50 - Zane Barzen - Geelong
Murray Bushrangers General Forward
193 cm 77 kg 29/10/00
Reason: I love this kid, I see him developing into a midfielder with his strong contested ball work he could turn into a prototype Cripps type of player.

Pick 51 - Will Kelly - Collingwood matching Hawthorn's bid
Oakleigh Chargers Tall Defender
193 cm 83 kg 16/8/00
Reason: They're nopt going to let a F/S Key defender slip through. Has improved immensely through out the season, can play m,ultiple roles in the backline and has good skills for a tall

Pick 52 - Mitch Podhajski - Hawthorn
Calder Cannons Midfielder/ Tall Forward
193 cm 80 kg 1999
Reason: After missing out last year Mitch has come back and lit up the TAC Cup competition and played some stellar VFL games. Another tall midfielder that can resat as a marking target up forward

Pick 53 - Tom Berry - Brisbane
GWV Rebels General Utility
185 cm 76 kg 1/5/00
Reason: Brisbane have shown they like to keep mates together so bring in Jarrods brother makes sense. Really good athlete who just needs to sure up his kicking to become a great inside mid

Pick 54 - Matthew Walker - GWS matching North Melbourne bid
Murray Bushrangers General Forward/ Midfielder
187 cm 76 kg 14/2/00
Reason: Comparable to Jordan De Goey in many ways as a below average height forward marking target. As a GWS fan I'm really excited by the prospect of Matt playing for us. Needs to push up the ground a bit more

Pick 55 - Oscar Brownless - Geelong matching North Melbourne bid
Geelong Falcons General Forward/ Midfielder
186 cm 76 kg 16/2/00
Reason: A smart player it's very doubtful that geelong dont match a bid for the son of club legend Billy Brownless. Has good goalsense and is a great leader, needs to work on his speed and kicking

Pick 56 - Alastair Richards - North Melbourne
187 cm 78 kg 9/5/00
Reason: A speedy winger Richards will add some depth and class to North's outside brigade

Last edited:
Phantom Draft Round 4

Pick 57 - Noah Gown - Melbourne
Gippsland Power Tall Forward
193 cm 82 kg 2000

Pick 58 - Xavier O'Neill - Western Bulldogs
Oakleigh Chargers Midfielder
183 cm 78 kg 7/8/00

Pick 59 - Noah Answerth - Richmond
182 cm 82 kg 6/8/99

Pick 60 - Tom Joyce - Fremantle
East Fremantle Midfielder
179 cm 67 kg 22/6/99

Pick 61 - Kyle Reid - Essendon
Gippsland Power Tall Defender
193 cm 85 kg 12/8/00

Pick 62 - Will Hamill - St Kilda
Dandenong Stingrays Midfielder
185 cm 70 kg 17/11/00

Pick 63 - Aaron Nietschke - Richmond
Central District Midfielder
184 cm 77 kg 26/5/00

Pick 64 - Tom Lewis - North Melbourne
Sturt Midfielder
179 cm 78 kg 18/2/00

Pick 65 - Zac Foot - Carlton
Dandenong Stingrays Midfielder/ Small Forward
180 cm 71 kg 24/12/00

Pick 66 - Mitch Riordan - North Melbourne
Dandenong Stingrays Midfielder
186 cm 79 kg 25/1/00

Pick 67 - Tom Medhat - Fremantle matching Carltons bid
West Perth General Forward
190 cm 79 kg 16/8/00

Pick 68 - Irving Mosquito - Hawthorn matching Carltons bid
Gippsland Power Small Forward
175 cm 69 kg 24/8/00

Pick 69 - Tyron Smallwood - Carlton
Claremont Midfielder/ Small Forward
177 cm 80 kg 8/4/00

Pick 70 - Ben Jarvis - Adelaide
Norwood General Utility
188 cm 77 kg 27/7/00

Pick 71 - Stefan Radovanic - Richmond
Western Jets General Defender/ Midfielder
192 cm 85 kg 7/9/00

Pick 72 - Will Golds - Western Bulldogs
Oakleigh Chargers Midfielder
181 cm 68 kg 2000

Last edited:
Mods Please note, all of these posts will be used, please don't remove.

A few more players close to top 30 but not quite there yet:

Hudson Garoni - Murray Bushrangers
Tom Joyce - East Fremantle
Matty Lloyd - GWV Rebels
Thomas Berry - GWV Rebels
Jason Carter - Peel
Buku Khamis - Western Jets
Riley Collier-Dawkins - Oakleigh Chargers

Draft Rankings Top 30 16/5/2018
Thought it'd be a good time to update my rankings since I've got a spare 30 minutes. Numbers in brackets indicate the change in ranking

(0) 1. Jack Lukosius - Tall Forward
194 cm 82 kg 9/8/2000

(0) 2. Sam Walsh - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/2000

(+4) 3. Jackson Hately - General Forward
Central District SA
189 cm 79 kg 21/1/2000

(+8) 4. Nick Blakely - Tall Forward
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/2000

(0) 5. Jack Bytel - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/2000

(0) 6. Ben King - Tall Defender
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/2000

(-4) 7. Max King - Tall Forward
201 cm 86 kg 7/7/2000

(+3) 8. Bailey Smith - Midfielder
184 cm 79 kg 7/12/2000

(-5) 9. Izak Rankine - General Forward/ Midfielder
West Adelaide SA
178 cm 74 kg 23/4/2000

(-2) 10. Tarryn Thomas - Midfielder/General Forward
187 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(-1) 11. Jye Caldwell - Midfielder/ General Forward
Bendigo Pioneers VIC C
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/2000

(-3) 12. Ian Hill - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth
174 cm 63 kg 9/2/2000

(+4) 13. Rhylee West - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/2000

(-1) 14. Curtis Taylor - Midfielder/ General Forward
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/2000

(-1) 15. Connor Rozee - General Forward/ Midfielder
North Adelaide SA
184 cm 72 kg 22/1/2000

(+8) 16. Chayce Jones - Midfielder
Launceston TAS
179 cm 73 kg 14/1/2000

(-2) 17. Ned McHenry - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/2000

(+2) 18. Issac Quaynor - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 82 kg 15/1/2000

(-3) 19. Bailey Williams - Ruck/ Tall Forward
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/2000

(-2) 20. Bailey Scott - Midfielder
Broad Beach QLD Gold Coast Suns Academy/ Geelong Cats & North Melbourne Father Son
184 cm 70 kg 9/7/2000

(+5) 21. Matthew Walker - General Forward
187 cm 76 kg 14/2/2000

(Previously Unranked) 22. Riley Collier-Dawkins - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
193 cm 88 kg 3/2/2000

(+2) 23. Xavier O'Neill - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
183 cm 78 kg 3/8/2000

(-5) 24. Luke English - Midfielder
Perth WA
179 cm 78 kg 20/8/2000

(-4) 25. Xavier Duursma - General Forward
Gippsland Power VIC C
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/2000

(+2) 26. Matthew Green - General Utility
Spitfires NT
190 cm 67 kg 5/5/2000

(Previously Unranked) 27. Alastair Richards - Midfielder/ General Forward
187 cm 78 kg 9/5/2000

(-1) 28. Sam Fletcher - General Defender
187 cm 79 kg 27/1/2000

(0) 29. Xavier O'Halloran - Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/2000

(Previously Unranked) 30. Tom McKenzie - Midfielder/ General Forward
Northern Knights VIC M
183 cm 71 kg 23/6/2000

With Championships fast approaching I'm really excited to see who will push their draft case further. So far the pick 1 conversation has started and stopped with Lukosius but I expect (hope more like it) the championships will see those that are considered selections for pick 2 to really challenge for the pick 1 spot. Jackson Hately has really impressed so far this year and has been in great form in the SANFL, Sam Walsh, Ben King, Nick Blakely and Izak Rankine are 4 more I expect to have big championship campaigns

Well it's been almost a month since I last updated my rankings, a couple of new inclusions and people climbing up
Updated rankings 12/06/2018

194 cm 82 kg 9/8/2000

(+1) 2. Jackson Hately - Midfielder
Central District SA
189 cm 79 kg 21/1/2000

(+3) 3. Ben King - Tall Defender
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/2000

(-2) 4. Sam Walsh - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/2000

(-1) 5. Nick Blakely - Tall Forward
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/2000

(+2) 6. Bailey Smith - Midfielder
184 cm 79 kg 7/12/2000

(0) 7. Max King - Tall Forward
201 cm 86 kg 7/7/2000

(+2) 8. Tarryn Thomas - Midfielder/General Forward
187 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(0) 9. Izak Rankine - General Forward/ Midfielder
West Adelaide SA
178 cm 74 kg 23/4/2000

(+2) 10. Ian Hill - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth
174 cm 63 kg 9/2/2000

(-6) 11. Jack Bytel - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/2000

(+3) 12. Connor Rozee - General Forward/ Midfielder
North Adelaide SA
184 cm 72 kg 22/1/2000

(-2) 13. Jye Caldwell - Midfielder/ General Forward
Bendigo Pioneers VIC C
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/2000

(-1) 14. Rhylee West - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/2000

(+1) 15. Chayce Jones - Midfielder
Launceston TAS
179 cm 73 kg 14/1/2000

(+6) 16. Riley Collier-Dawkins - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
193 cm 88 kg 3/2/2000

(-3) 17. Curtis Taylor - Midfielder/ General Forward
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/2000

(+1) 18. Bailey Williams - Ruck/ Tall Forward
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/2000

(+2) 19. Matthew Walker - General Forward
187 cm 76 kg 14/2/2000

(+9) 20. Xavier O'Halloran - Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/2000

(-3) 21. Issac Quaynor - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 82 kg 15/1/2000

(Previously Unranked) 22. Luke Valente - Midfielder/ General Forward
Norwood SA
186 cm 80 kg 8/5/2000

(+2) 23. Xavier Duursma - General Forward
Gippsland Power VIC C
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/2000

(Previously Unranked) 24. James Rowbottom - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
185 cm 78 kg 19/9/2000

(+2) 25. Alastair Richards - Midfielder/ General Forward
187 cm 78 kg 9/5/2000

(0) 26. Matthew Green - General Utility
Spitfires NT
190 cm 67 kg 5/5/2000

(Previously Unranked) 27. Joseph Ayton-Delany - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(Previously Unranked) 28. Stefan Radovanovic - General Defender/ Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
192 cm 85 kg 7/9/2000

(-12) 29. Ned McHenry - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/2000

(Previously Unranked) Tom Berry - General Defender/ Midfielder
GWV Rebels VIC M
185 cm 76 kg 1/5/2000

Last edited:
So based on my updated rankings the draft is currently:
Pick 1 - Carlton - Jack Lukosius
Pick 2 - Brisbane - Jackson Hately
Pick 3 - St Kilda - Ben King
Pick 4 - Gold Coast - Sam Walsh
Pick 5 - Sydney Match bid - Nick Blakely
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith
Pick 7 - Fremantle - Max King
Pick 8 - North Melbourne Match Bid - Tarryn Thomas
Pick 9 - Essendon - Izak Rankine
Pick 10 - Hawthorn - Ian Hill
Pick 11 - Adelaide - Jack Bytel
Pick 12 - GWS - Connor Rozee
Pick 13 - Port Adelaide - Jye Caldwell
Pick 14 - Western Bulldogs Match Bid - Rhylee West
Pick 15 - Collingwood - Chayce Jones
Pick 16 - Adelaide - Riley Collier-Dawkins
Pick 17- Geelong - Curtis Taylor
Pick 18 - Richmond - Bailey Williams
Pick 19 - GWS Match Bid - Matthew Walker
Pick 20 - Gold Coast - Xavier O'Halloran

I've been told that I have quite different rankings compared to majority of posters and I tend to agree, I always take into account size, rumoured attitude and personality as well in my rankings and I hope that it's something a bit different for you all to ponder

So based on my updated rankings the draft is currently:
Pick 1 - Carlton - Jack Lukosius
Pick 2 - Brisbane - Jackson Hately
Pick 3 - St Kilda - Ben King
Pick 4 - Gold Coast - Sam Walsh
Pick 5 - Sydney Match bid - Nick Blakely
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith
Pick 7 - Fremantle - Max King
Pick 8 - North Melbourne Match Bid - Tarryn Thomas
Pick 9 - Essendon - Izak Rankine
Pick 10 - Hawthorn - Ian Hill
Pick 11 - Adelaide - Jack Bytel
Pick 12 - GWS - Connor Rozee
Pick 13 - Port Adelaide - Jye Caldwell
Pick 14 - Western Bulldogs Match Bid - Rhylee West
Pick 15 - Collingwood - Chayce Jones
Pick 16 - Adelaide - Riley Collier-Dawkins
Pick 17- Geelong - Curtis Taylor
Pick 18 - Richmond - Bailey Williams
Pick 19 - GWS Match Bid - Matthew Walker
Pick 20 - Gold Coast - Xavier O'Halloran

I've been told that I have quite different rankings compared to majority of posters and I tend to agree, I always take into account size, rumoured attitude and personality as well in my rankings and I hope that it's something a bit different for you all to ponder
You have Jackson Hately down as a general forward, he is an inside mid.
Also I think Brisbane will.go for Walsh as he is a mad Lions fan and they would see him as less of a flight risk.

At this stage of last year Gold Coast had pick #2. Then it went to Fremantle in exchange for Lachie Weller.

Just remember that when trying to predict players to going to specific clubs as those clubs always shift in the order during the trade period, and may well do so on draft night as well if what I’m hearing is correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have Jackson Hately down as a general forward, he is an inside mid.
Also I think Brisbane will.go for Walsh as he is a mad Lions fan and they would see him as less of a flight risk.
My mistake, the player profiles I made at the start of the year had him as a forward and I forgot to update.
As I said above it isn't a phantom draft its just players going to the clubs that currently hold those picks

3/07/2018

194 cm 82 kg 9/8/2000

(+2) 2. Sam Walsh - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/2000

(-1) 3. Jackson Hately - Midfielder
Central District SA
189 cm 79 kg 21/1/2000

(-1) 4. Ben King - Tall Defender
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/2000

(+1) 5. Bailey Smith - Midfielder
184 cm 79 kg 7/12/2000

(-1) 6. Nick Blakely - Tall Forward
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/2000

(+2) 7. Izak Rankine - General Forward/ Midfielder
West Adelaide SA
178 cm 74 kg 23/4/2000

(-1) 8. Max King - Tall Forward
201 cm 86 kg 7/7/2000

(-1) 9. Tarryn Thomas - Midfielder/General Forward
187 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(+7) 10. Curtis Taylor - Midfielder/ General Forward
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/2000

(-1) 11. Ian Hill - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth
174 cm 63 kg 9/2/2000

(+4) 12. Riley Collier-Dawkins - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
193 cm 88 kg 3/2/2000

(+1) 13. Rhylee West - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/2000

(-2) 14. Connor Rozee - General Forward/ Midfielder
North Adelaide SA
184 cm 72 kg 22/1/2000

(0) 15. Chayce Jones - Midfielder
Launceston TAS
179 cm 73 kg 14/1/2000

(+2) 16. Bailey Williams - Ruck/ Tall Forward
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/2000

(-4) 17. Jye Caldwell - Midfielder/ General Forward
Bendigo Pioneers VIC C
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/2000

(-7) 18. Jack Bytel - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/2000

(+4) 19. Xavier Duursma - General Forward
Gippsland Power VIC C
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/2000

(0) 20. Xavier O'Halloran - Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/2000

(+6) 21. Joseph Ayton-Delany - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(0) 22. Luke Valente - Midfielder/ General Forward
Norwood SA
186 cm 80 kg 8/5/2000

(+1) 23. James Rowbottom - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
185 cm 78 kg 19/9/2000

(+5) 24. Ned McHenry - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/2000

(Previously Unranked) 25. Tom McKenzie - Midfielder/ General Forward
Northern Knights VIC M
183 cm 71 kg 23/6/2000

(+2) 26. Stefan Radovanovic - General Defender/ Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
192 cm 85 kg 7/9/2000

(-6) 27. Issac Quaynor - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 82 kg 15/1/2000

(+2) 28. Tom Berry - General Defender/ Midfielder
GWV Rebels VIC M
185 cm 76 kg 1/5/2000

(Previously Unranked) 29. Lachlan Sholl - Utility
Calder Cannons VIC M
185 cm 77 kg 7/3/2000

(Previously Unranked) Pick 30. Zak Butters - General Forward/ Midfielder
Western Jets Vic M
178 cm 70 kg 8/9/2000

Some big movers in this months update with a few metro lads moving about, this has been the hardest month yet for my power rankings and there were a few unlucky to miss out; Sydney Stack, Riley Bowman, Kieran Briggs, Kyle Reid and Tom Lewis the main ones. As always ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Briggs and where he goes in the draft?
Looks like a god prospect but depending on if any recruiters rate him I would think a third round bid to be matched or if the rest of his year goes well a late second could be possible

Looks like a god prospect but depending on if any recruiters rate him I would think a third round bid to be matched or if the rest of his year goes well a late second could be possible
Obviously I've been watching Briggs with great interest, I have him ranked at 32 in my rankings and considering most bids come in lower than their value I'd assume 40+, that being said his form going forward could see him ranked in my top 20, where I'd expect a bid at 25+

G.AblettSnr love child?;)

Don't mind the high rating of Hately. I don't have him quite that high but when you're looking at putting these guys in with the development coaches and fitness staff for 3-4 years and throwing them out there against the best best athletes in the country he's definitely one of the most talented players in the draft.

Don't mind the high rating of Hately. I don't have him quite that high but when you're looking at putting these guys in with the development coaches and fitness staff for 3-4 years and throwing them out there against the best best athletes in the country he's definitely one of the most talented players in the draft.
Hately's SANFL form pushed him right up my rankings, I wasn't unimpressed with his champs since he was out of position a fair amount of the time.
I think he, Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith are the standout mids

Can we lock these in now. Done, I'm very happy.

O'h looks super talented and ready to play.
Stack I think is very underrated and we could play him off a wing or HF straight away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back