Phantom Draft PMBangers Draft Thread/ Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insane at 12.

He just kicked the most goals at the Champs yet he’s also the best key defender in the country.
Yep hence the brackets. With current lists I couldn't justify selecting a KPP over some of the class midfielders

3/07/2018

(0) 1. Jack Lukosius - Tall Forward
Woodville-West Torrens SA
194 cm 82 kg 9/8/2000

(+2) 2. Sam Walsh - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
183 cm 74 kg 2/7/2000

(-1) 3. Jackson Hately - Midfielder
Central District SA
189 cm 79 kg 21/1/2000

(-1) 4. Ben King - Tall Defender
Sandrignham Dragons VIC M
201 cm 85 kg 7/7/2000

(+1) 5. Bailey Smith - Midfielder
Sandringham Dragons VIC M
184 cm 79 kg 7/12/2000

(-1) 6. Nick Blakely - Tall Forward
UNSW NSW/ACT Sydney Swans Academy/ Brisbane Lions & North Melbourne Father Son
194 cm 75 kg 27/2/2000

(+2) 7. Izak Rankine - General Forward/ Midfielder
West Adelaide SA
178 cm 74 kg 23/4/2000

(-1) 8. Max King - Tall Forward
Sandringham Dragons VIC M
201 cm 86 kg 7/7/2000

(-1) 9. Tarryn Thomas - Midfielder/General Forward
North Launceston TAS North Melbourne NGA
187 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(+7) 10. Curtis Taylor - Midfielder/ General Forward
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 82 kg 6/4/2000

(-1) 11. Ian Hill - Midfielder/ General Forward
Perth
174 cm 63 kg 9/2/2000

(+4) 12. Riley Collier-Dawkins - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
193 cm 88 kg 3/2/2000

(+1) 13. Rhylee West - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
180 cm 81 kg 12/7/2000

(-2) 14. Connor Rozee - General Forward/ Midfielder
North Adelaide SA
184 cm 72 kg 22/1/2000

(0) 15. Chayce Jones - Midfielder
Launceston TAS
179 cm 73 kg 14/1/2000

(+2) 16. Bailey Williams - Ruck/ Tall Forward
Dandenong Stingrays VIC C
198 cm 95 kg 17/10/2000

(-4) 17. Jye Caldwell - Midfielder/ General Forward
Bendigo Pioneers VIC C
184 cm 78 kg 28/9/2000

(-7) 18. Jack Bytel - Midfielder
Calder Cannons VIC M
188 cm 79 kg 14/3/2000

(+4) 19. Xavier Duursma - General Forward
Gippsland Power VIC C
185 cm 71 kg 7/7/2000

(0) 20. Xavier O'Halloran - Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
186 cm 82 kg 11/7/2000

(+6) 21. Joseph Ayton-Delany - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 68 kg 25/3/2000

(0) 22. Luke Valente - Midfielder/ General Forward
Norwood SA
186 cm 80 kg 8/5/2000

(+1) 23. James Rowbottom - Midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
185 cm 78 kg 19/9/2000

(+5) 24. Ned McHenry - Midfielder
Geelong Falcons VIC C
176 cm 71 kg 13/7/2000

(Previously Unranked) 25. Tom McKenzie - Midfielder/ General Forward
Northern Knights VIC M
183 cm 71 kg 23/6/2000

(+2) 26. Stefan Radovanovic - General Defender/ Midfielder
Western Jets VIC M
192 cm 85 kg 7/9/2000

(-7) 28. Issac Quaynor - General Defender
Oakleigh Chargers VIC M
179 cm 82 kg 15/1/2000

(+1) 29. Tom Berry - General Defender/ Midfielder
GWV Rebels VIC M
185 cm 76 kg 1/5/2000

(Previously Unranked) 30. Lachlan Sholl - Utility
Calder Cannons VIC M
185 cm 77 kg 7/3/2000

Some big movers in this months update with a few metro lads moving about, this has been the hardest month yet for my power rankings and there were a few unlucky to miss out; Sydney Stack, Riley Bowman, Kieran Briggs, Kyle Reid and Tom Lewis the main ones. As always ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer
Who is at 27?

My most up to date rankings, a massive shuffle around as I went back and rewatched all the champs games and a few TAC games in the past two weeks, and liking this draft more and more each tape I watch

Lowest I've seen Sam Walsh rated on any power rankings Bangers.
I will admit this is partly down to Country's poor performance, but watching him more closely I started to notice his inconsistent kicking a lot, he does a lot of the classic 'get it on the boot and get it forward' kicks and seems to stress under pressure, which he can get himself into trouble by trying to do a bit too much sometimes.
I have no doubt that when I do my next rankings after he's dominated some TAC games he'll move back up, but that 2-5 area is really cutthroat to me and all it takes is one bad while the others have good ones, I could have easily justified having him at 3 and moving Bailey Smith and Izak Rankine down but when it's so close I'll tend to put it down to personal preference of who I'd go with
I will also note that I don't believe anyone is completely free from bias, and because I live close to Sandringham and Oakleigh I tend to see those games live and pay closer attention to them, so that has probably (definitely) had a part in Walsh's ranking

Last edited:
I will admit this is partly down to Country's poor performance, but watching him more closely I started to notice his inconsistent kicking a lot, he does a lot of the classic 'get it on the boot and get it forward' kicks and seems to stress under pressure, which he can get himself into trouble by trying to do a bit too much sometimes.
I have no doubt that when I do my next rankings after he's dominated some TAC games he'll move back up, but that 2-5 area is really cutthroat to me and all it takes is one bad while the others have good ones, I could have easily justified having him at 3 and moving Bailey Smith and Izak Rankine down but when it's so close I'll tend to put it down to personal preference of who I'd go with
I will also note that I don't believe anyone is completely free from bias, and because I live close to Sandringham and Oakleigh I tend to see those games live and pay closer attention to them, so that has probably (definitely) had a part in Walsh's ranking
:eek:

Sorry, but Sam Walsh is one of, if not the most composed ball user in the draft crop.
Perhaps I worded it poorly, I wasn't trying to criticize his use overall, but it's obvious imo that his kicking inconsistency and tendency to boot it forward puts him at a disadvantage at times, his kicking when he isn't under pressure isn't an issue but when a little bit of pressure is applied he seems to stress with the kick. His handballing is amazing under pressure and he's definitely got composure when the handball option is there but when it has to be a kick he struggles. Maybe it isn't down to stress, but I'd rather have a teammate within 5 meters of him rather than someone leading for the kick from him

Perhaps I worded it poorly, I wasn't trying to criticize his use overall, but it's obvious imo that his kicking inconsistency and tendency to boot it forward puts him at a disadvantage at times, his kicking when he isn't under pressure isn't an issue but when a little bit of pressure is applied he seems to stress with the kick. His handballing is amazing under pressure and he's definitely got composure when the handball option is there but when it has to be a kick he struggles. Maybe it isn't down to stress, but I'd rather have a teammate within 5 meters of him rather than someone leading for the kick from him
Just out of interest, which players in the draft crop would you say are better kicks, notably under pressure?

Just out of interest, which players in the draft crop would you say are better kicks, notably under pressure?
Bailey Smith and Izak Rankine are the two I put above him for it, granted they've both had/have better support around them and Rankine isn't quite as in and under as Walsh, and it may very well be that Walsh get more of the ball so there is a bigger sample size to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith and Izak Rankine are the two I put above him for it, granted they've both had/have better support around them and Rankine isn't quite as in and under as Walsh, and it may very well be that Walsh get more of the ball so there is a bigger sample size to watch
So there are two players in the crop you have as better kicks under pressure/better consistency by foot, which means every other player must be really poor in that area?

What I'm getting at is, Walsh is one of the most complete midfielders in the crop, players with inconsistent kicking or that stress under pressure, do not go top 5. Based on your assessment of his weaknesses, he should be a late R1 pick at best. That is why I am a bit confused, because no club is going to use a top five pick on a player with those weaknesses.

If there is one improvement Walsh can make to his game, it is his disposal at full speed, and his ability to expect less from his teammates. He can put the ball into positions that his teammates cannot get to because he sees things earlier than others and works out the most dangerous spot to kick to, but often it may not be the safest/most straight forward option.

Hey PMBangers , how do rate Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith compared to the likes of Hugh McCluggage, Adam Cerra, Cam Rayner, Tim Taranto, Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw at the same stage? You up for a quick power rankings?

So there are two players in the crop you have as better kicks under pressure/better consistency by foot, which means every other player must be really poor in that area?

What I'm getting at is, Walsh is one of the most complete midfielders in the crop, players with inconsistent kicking or that stress under pressure, do not go top 5. Based on your assessment of his weaknesses, he should be a late R1 pick at best. That is why I am a bit confused, because no club is going to use a top five pick on a player with those weaknesses.

If there is one improvement Walsh can make to his game, it is his disposal at full speed, and his ability to expect less from his teammates. He can put the ball into positions that his teammates cannot get to because he sees things earlier than others and works out the most dangerous spot to kick to, but often it may not be the safest/most straight forward option.
Also this isn't a personal attack or anything mate, it's more just trying to understand your point of view. I enjoy reading all opinions, just a bit confused and trying to understand where you're coming from :)

Absolutely understand, I enjoy being questioned and I respect your work so to have your view as well is welcome. And again, I'm not perfect in my opinions, I will 100% admit to having a certain bias, especially with someone like Walsh who had such a dominant under age year and is killing it agin this year, I look at someone like him that's being spoken about a lot and judge harsher. I guess ultimately I thought about who I'd pick if giving the opportunity and to me I think Smith and Walsh are very similar, but Smith pips him because again I feel his disposal by foot is more consistent, maybe not as good at times but you know what to expect from him and has more realistic expectations of teammates, Rankine is a different player all together but again I'd take him over Walsh. At AFL level and with better teammates Walsh will most likely be better than the other two but my rankings are based on what I have seen.
Ultimately it's all up to opinion and really, if I was as good at this as I thought I was then I'd be a list manager.

Last edited:
Hey PMBangers , how do rate Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith compared to the likes of Hugh McCluggage, Adam Cerra, Cam Rayner, Tim Taranto, Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw at the same stage? You up for a quick power rankings?
I'll cut out Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw from this as they were drafted before I got any interest in under 18's footy. If all were in the draft my preference would be;
1. Bailey Smith
2. Sam Walsh
3. Hugh McCluggage
4. Cam Rayner
5. Adam Cerra
6. Tim Taranto

I think Walsh and McCluggage suffer a bit (from mid year of their draft year) because of their TAC teams not being as good as the rest.

Genuine question - how did Dow get drafted at 3? Every time I watch him he misses kicks and handballs by meters. Pretty sure he kicked several OOF before registering a score. Perhaps he is not as bad as he looks/first year blues but the evidence isn't great from what I have seen.

Genuine question - how did Dow get drafted at 3? Every time I watch him he misses kicks and handballs by meters. Pretty sure he kicked several OOF before registering a score. Perhaps he is not as bad as he looks/first year blues but the evidence isn't great from what I have seen.
He's getting used to the tempo. His ability to hit targets in traffic is elite. He lowers his eyes and can step around blokes like they are statues. I wouldn't be too concerned, he's a lighter frame who is probably being thrown in the deep end a bit too early before he can build some strength and adjust to the game. He will be a star.

He's getting used to the tempo. His ability to hit targets in traffic is elite. He lowers his eyes and can step around blokes like they are statues. I wouldn't be too concerned, he's a lighter frame who is probably being thrown in the deep end a bit too early before he can build some strength and adjust to the game. He will be a star.
Yeah I rate the rest of his game just noticed his disposal is terrible this year. Perhaps it will improve a lot as he gets used to the level.

that was my concern with Dow, i mentioned this in my draft preview last year.
For the position he plays Dow's disposal is pretty good, he rarely missed a target by hand from what i saw last year. Hit up a an absolute cracking kick down at Mars Stadium last year in the last game he played that year, he was dominant and his kicking the bets id seen it for the year.

i copped a bit of flak from people for saying Dows disposal was not good, i said early 2nd round as he has good abilities but he did hospital handballs and had average disposal, everyone told me he was top 5 or top 10, but i think time will tell he will be viewed less than when he was taken... not saying he wont be a good player though

For the position he plays Dow's disposal is pretty good, he rarely missed a target by hand from what i saw last year. Hit up a an absolute cracking kick down at Mars Stadium last year in the last game he played that year, he was dominant and his kicking the bets id seen it for the year.

we mustve seen different games, he was butchering it by hand and foot when i saw him, i believe his disposal is inconsistant and that was my point, btw have you seen how horrible he has been for Carlton? ive seen a couple of games and he has looked god awful, but good luck to him, i hope his form improves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back