Phantom Draft PMBangers Draft Thread/ Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but Sam Walsh is one of, if not the most composed ball user in the draft crop.
Walsh has some of the nicest side steps I've seen since Macrae was in the TAC cup. Probably comparable to Simpkin in that regard. I love players that are composed enough to do that under pressure. Just so happens that the rest of his game is top notch too. Ball winning, ball use, endurance, speed. He's a beauty.

I'll cut out Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw from this as they were drafted before I got any interest in under 18's footy. If all were in the draft my preference would be;
1. Bailey Smith
2. Sam Walsh
3. Hugh McCluggage
4. Cam Rayner
5. Adam Cerra
6. Tim Taranto

I think Walsh and McCluggage suffer a bit (from mid year of their draft year) because of their TAC teams not being as good as the rest.
Taranto tops this list by a mile!!!

Taranto tops this list by a mile!!!
Admittedly I have seen a lot more of Hugh McCluggage but he had a very good first year and his rate of improvement and form this year has been exceptional-

1) Glides through traffic, seems to make time for himself, a great trait to have.
2) Great vision with his disposal.
3) His tackling was a bit of a weakness in 2017 but it has improved rapidly to being a strength this year.
4) His contested work has improved significantly as well, very under rated part of his game.

His one down point would be his set shots, which I have confidence will improve. If Tim Taranto tops Hugh McCluggage by a mile he is going to be one hell of a player and a top 5 player in the competition.

Admittedly I have seen a lot more of Hugh McCluggage but he had a very good first year and his rate of improvement and form this year has been exceptional-

1) Glides through traffic, seems to make time for himself, a great trait to have.
2) Great vision with his disposal.
3) His tackling was a bit of a weakness in 2017 but it has improved rapidly to being a strength this year.
4) His contested work has improved significantly as well, very under rated part of his game.

His one down point would be his set shots, which I have confidence will improve. If Tim Taranto tops Hugh McCluggage by a mile he is going to be one hell of a player and a top 5 player in the competition.
Yeah he's numbers are already exceptional. People don't notice him as he's at GWS. He's a star in the making.

My most up to date rankings, a massive shuffle around as I went back and rewatched all the champs games and a few TAC games in the past two weeks, and liking this draft more and more each tape I watch
I know the Vic Country coaching panel played Tom Berry in defence at the Championships but I highly doubt he will play that role when he gets to the AFL. He's a mid that can get forward and rattle the scoreboard regularly. pie4life described him as an Utilty, I'd describe him as a mid/forward .

I know the Vic Country coaching panel played Tom Berry in defence at the Championships but I highly doubt he will play that role when he gets to the AFL. He's a mid that can get forward and rattle the scoreboard regularly. pie4life described him as an Utilty, I'd describe him as a mid/forward .

Yeah. He’ll be a mid/forward at AFL level. Still good to see he was able to perform decently in a new role at the highest junior level. Will most likely continue that role in the TAC cup according to his coach.

I say utility to usually stop the back and forths that begin from posts like this :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My updated rankings as of 6/8/2018, added the teams players are going to based on current ladder position to give everyone a bit of a better feel of what sort of players are going to be available.

My updated rankings as of 6/8/2018, added the teams players are going to based on current ladder position to give everyone a bit of a better feel of what sort of players are going to be available.
Good analysis IMO but I caution to add, there will probably be heaps of pick trading going on before and maybe during the draft, so club allocation is probably going to be misleading.

Still - a neat phantom for this stage of the year.

Curious now that we are coming to the pointy end of the season.. what your reasoning is on having Smith above Walsh particularly after Walsh's recent performances. I ask because I too was in the camp of Smith over Walsh but have come around recently.

Curious now that we are coming to the pointy end of the season.. what your reasoning is on having Smith above Walsh particularly after Walsh's recent performances. I ask because I too was in the camp of Smith over Walsh but have come around recently.
Pretty much all of page 2 in this post is me and Pie 4 life arguing this lol.
The main thing is Smith is a better kick under pressure and doesn't have issues finding separation in congestion like Walsh does. Smith is also more realistic with expectations of his team mates, where as Walsh sometimes puts it to areas that, AFL players wouldn't have issues getting to, his TAC team mates struggle to get there.
Much like Brayshaw last year I also think Smith makes more of an effort to get his team mates involved

The main thing is Smith is a better kick under pressure and doesn't have issues finding separation in congestion like Walsh does. Smith is also more realistic with expectations of his team mates, where as Walsh sometimes puts it to areas that, AFL players wouldn't have issues getting to, his TAC team mates struggle to get there.
Much like Brayshaw last year I also think Smith makes more of an effort to get his team mates involved

Smith’s disposal makes his team mates look better. Walsh’s disposal isn’t as effective.

Smith’s disposal makes his team mates look better. Walsh’s disposal isn’t as effective.
Seems to be a Sandy midfielder trait as of recently, always have great disposal and ability to bring teammates into the game from seemingly nowhere

Now that you mention it I’d have to agree with you from the games that I’ve seen.. the fact that Smith has played a lot of time up forward though rotating through the mid when needed, has he got the capacity to rack up big numbers when played solely on ball ala Walsh?

Now that you mention it I’d have to agree with you from the games that I’ve seen.. the fact that Smith has played a lot of time up forward though rotating through the mid when needed, has he got the capacity to rack up big numbers when played solely on ball ala Walsh?
Hard to tell without anything solid to go on other than projection. In all honesty, as the game evolves to having 1-2 resting midfielders in the forward line the need for a player to be playing solely on ball is depleting. I think Smith CAN rack up those big numbers, but might not need to. Worth noting that Walsh gets a bit of a boost from getting the ball back immediately after giving off to a teammate, whereas Smith's disposal is generally more impactful and to more dangerous spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back