Poaching Spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ports poached Watts, Toumpas, Trengive, Jurrah and also Dom Barry (through a 3rd party) from Melbourne in recent years
I think everyone assumed that Melbourne’s high picks weren’t working out because of bad development but Gysberts, Morton, Blease and Sylvia didn’t do much for their new clubs either.

For Brisbane:

Elliot Yeo
Sam Docherty
Jared Polec
Jarred Redden
Jack Crisp

Haha but on a serious note;
Patrick Karnezis
James Aish
Josh Schace

Jarmen Impey this year was one for us we were happy to let go. He has been slightly better this year but still makes too many costly mistakes by foot.

Cameron Wood should be on the spuds poached from us.

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
For Brisbane:

Elliot Yeo
Sam Docherty
Jared Polec
Jarred Redden
Jack Crisp

Patrick Karnezis
James Aish
Josh Schace

Jarmen Impey this year was one for us we were happy to let go. He has been slightly better this year but still makes too many costly mistakes by foot.

Aish was in great form early this year before his injury. It was finally clicking for him. Cruel timing.

From us. Sam Iles, Lachie Keefe, Dawes, Ben Davies, Ben Kennedy, Jon Ceglar, Jack Anthony, Richie Cole, Freeman.

Dale Thomas wins this thread, though.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thomas and Moore very true. The only legitimate poach was Chaplin and he did ok. Gave us the aeroplane.
I've never even heard of Mitch Banner :eek:.

Poaching of Vickery was good.

Others that weren't exactly poaching -
Crows took Tambling and Gus Graham off our hands.
Fiora to Saints. They also took Dean Polo after we delisted him
Essendon picked up the delisted Ty Zantuck.

He would have meant Mitch Farmer, not Banner

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Steven Koops to the Dogs.

I remember at the time, the Dogs made a fuss of giving him Michael McLean's old #51, as though Koops was going to carry on his legacy as a great Indigenous player for the club. Koops ended up playing just 11 games in two seasons with the Dogs, before retiring at age 26.

Last edited:

Jack Bradley

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aish was in great form early this year before his injury. It was finally clicking for him. Cruel timing.

From us. Sam Iles, Lachie Keefe, Dawes, Ben Davies, Ben Kennedy, Jon Ceglar, Jack Anthony, Richie Cole, Freeman.

Dale Thomas wins this thread, though.
I dont think Keefe was poached - didnt you delist him?

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Plus Mitchell White
Plus Brett Spinks

Ahh White I could understand, he was an All Australian at his best and wasn’t that old when he crossed to the Cats. He was just cooked I guess.

Spinks was a classic case of looking the part but not being able to put it together. So that one was kinda like buying a flash new car...with no seats or steering wheel.

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
North have had a history of trading for spuds but have been pretty good lately.

After seeing Greenwood playing for the pies tonight it made me think of players who have been poached from your club that have had you secretly go "lololololol who wants that spud?"

Fremantle might have the same reaction when mayne left for example

Has anyone else had the same reaction when a player has left their club?
Greenwood come second in norths B&F the year the pies got him. Absolutley nothing wrong with Greenwood. Does his job very professional and disciplined. I know its a piss take and probally a collingwood hater at work, but Greenwood is the sort of player who all 18 coaches love to have.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ahh White I could understand, he was an All Australian at his best and wasn’t that old when he crossed to the Cats. He was just cooked I guess.

Spinks was a classic case of looking the part but not being able to put it together. So that one was kinda like buying a flash new car...with no seats or steering wheel.

An earlier example of Spinks' type going from WCE to Geelong was Derek Hall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Greenwood come second in norths B&F the year the pies got him. Absolutley nothing wrong with Greenwood. Does his job very professional and disciplined. I know its a piss take and probally a collingwood hater at work, but Greenwood is the sort of player who all 18 coaches love to have.

He works hard, and the main thing probably holding him back at Collingwood (aside from injury) would be that he doesn't get the midfield time he did in his final year at the Kangaroos.

There is also a touch of 'Contract Year Phenom' about him as well - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_year_phenomenon

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think everyone assumed that Melbourne’s high picks weren’t working out because of bad development but Gysberts, Morton, Blease and Sylvia didn’t do much for their new clubs either.

It was a funny time. You could also include Toumpas Fitzpatrick Moloney Buckley Warnock Pettard as players other clubs picked up thinking they could 'deMelbourne"

Our only losses were Frawley thought he got us pick 3, Howe and Martin.
The rest of our list wasn't poorly developed they were crap.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Richmond have a habit of picking up Port spuds.

Mitch Banner, Matt Thomas, Andrew Moore, Troy Chaplin.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You're thinking of Mitch Farmer as opposed to Mitch Banner.

Banner wound up at Williamstown.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jack Bradley

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Him leaving has made us a better team so it doesnt really bother me at all.

We had enough slow in and under players who cant kick - but i get that hes a good role player

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
For Brisbane:

Elliot Yeo
Sam Docherty
Jared Polec
Jarred Redden
Jack Crisp

Patrick Karnezis
James Aish
Josh Schace

Impey has been excellent. I'm glad you let him go too ;)

Back