podcast suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

kober3742

Debutant
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi,

As a pretty new person to the sport in as far as following it closely, what is the best AFL podcast to listen to? Thank you everybody

I don't know about the best one, but I'm surely trying hard with mine. :)
OK, I know mine is not the best. Kick to Kick Podcast is dynamite. They are tracing footy from the beginning, year by year. "Real Footy" is good. The Fox Footy Podcasts are great, but I think they're rebroadcasts of things that were already on television. Junktime Footy is hilarious, but if you get worried about language, you probably don't want to be playing that one at work.

Agreed. Footyology is excellent. Rohan Connolly is a gun and he is ably supported by Mark Fine.

I was disappointed with the Sacked podcast. Many of the guests presented a self-serving and distorted version of events. The hosts seemed to be in fan mode and did not challenge or probe the guests when they gave dubious answers to questions. The 2019 episodes were of average quality and the series went downhill with the 2020 interviews. In particular, Gary Ayres' reflections on his coaching career were bordering on delusional at times. On the other side of the ledger, Gavin Crosisca was excellent. Intelligent, authentic and absorbing to listen to.

I don't know about the best one, but I'm surely trying hard with mine.
OK, I know mine is not the best. Kick to Kick Podcast is dynamite. They are tracing footy from the beginning, year by year. "Real Footy" is good. The Fox Footy Podcasts are great, but I think they're rebroadcasts of things that were already on television. Junktime Footy is hilarious, but if you get worried about language, you probably don't want to be playing that one at work.

Sorry I reckon the Fox Footy Podcast is terrible . The pre and post 2020 GF podcasts were an embarrassment. I think we got 2 mins on the GF .
Feral Cats is an excellent podcast , Locked on AFL, The AFL Advisirs are hidden gems .
Talking Tigers my favourite, although a little too obsessed with ruckman !!
Footyology is good until that Essendon madman starts spewing his political views . Totally unnecessary and I will not go to Andrews Burgers until he stops it . Ruins a good footy show . I know a few who agree .

Thanks for your suggestions, I’m desperate for more good footy listening . Have a good Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed. Footyology is excellent. Rohan Connolly is a gun and he is ably supported by Mark Fine.

I was disappointed with the Sacked podcast. Many of the guests presented a self-serving and distorted version of events. The hosts seemed to be in fan mode and did not challenge or probe the guests when they gave dubious answers to questions. The 2019 episodes were of average quality and the series went downhill with the 2020 interviews. In particular, Gary Ayres' reflections on his coaching career were bordering on delusional at times. On the other side of the ledger, Gavin Crosisca was excellent. Intelligent, authentic and absorbing to listen to.

Agree on Sacked . Lost it’s way very quickly .

I'm enjoying the "Where Do We Begin" podcast. Three university aged hosts that have a great deal of fun, and bring a young insight to the game. I'm also enjoying Lace Out Podcast. Of course, I might be a bit biased, as they invited me on as a guest recently. :)

Have you listened to Xavier Ellis' Podcast, "It's Time For A Beer". He interviews players, past and present (mostly Hawthorn and West Coast) players. He is genuinely very funny. His interview with Roughy is an eye opener (picture Roughy on a motorbike with an air rifle shooting other people on motorbikes). Great discussion on Hawthorn-Geelong games as well. He's done very well for himself on Breakfast Radio over in Perth and once you have heard him you will understand why, he's a non stop talker with a gift for telling stories. Well worth a listen.
https://itstimeforabeer.podbean.com

Hey,
I’d recommend checking of a team specific podcast for the team your interested in following.
I also do a podcast called footy time where we do game of the round and a few other fun topics if u want to give that a go.

For a bit of fun, It's Time For A Beer for Xavier Ellis.
2 Guys 1 Cup with Will Anderson and Chalie Clauson.
Dyl and Friends is decent too.

I don't really have a good go-to serious footy podcast. Road To The Draft is fun around that time of year though.

Cheap plug, but the podcast i'm part of called Border Barrels does a live watch-along every Sunday afternoon and dissects the round that's been. We get serious at times but find the lighter side as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd suggest staying well clear of The Restump Podcast.... unless, one - you're incredibly disrespectful of your own ears, two - you've listened to every other podcast first and, three - you're a fan of the Freo Dockers and every other team playing against the West Coast Eagles.

Sorry I reckon the Fox Footy Podcast is terrible . The pre and post 2020 GF podcasts were an embarrassment. I think we got 2 mins on the GF .
Feral Cats is an excellent podcast , Locked on AFL, The AFL Advisirs are hidden gems .
Talking Tigers my favourite, although a little too obsessed with ruckman !!
Footyology is good until that Essendon madman starts spewing his political views . Totally unnecessary and I will not go to Andrews Burgers until he stops it . Ruins a good footy show . I know a few who agree .

Thanks for your suggestions, I’m desperate for more good footy listening . Have a good Christmas.

I can totally understand with your assessment on RoCo... Love his footy analysis and his takes, but once he starts going political, he loses me. I get that he's got a passion for it and he has his beliefs, but then once someone challenges him, he starts going 110 percent full on attack mode as opposed to having a decent conversation about it.

The Back Pocket went live this week if you want a little half hour snippet of footy chat purely about Defenders each week.

Apple Podcasts:

Podbean:

Spotify, Google and Amazon up shortly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back