Podcast Thread

We have threads for other forms of entertainment and we've been discussing podcasts on the off-season banter thread, so thought I'd give this a try and see if there was interest in it

I know myself that I have been a fan of various podcasts for over a decade but not always good at keeping up with them - I'll go through phases of listening to them non-stop or I take a total break

A place to discuss what podcasts we have been listening to, what we recommend to others or just saying pass & avoid

One of my favorites from recent times is Death In Ice Valley - it's actually from last year, but just found that they have a couple of new episodes I need to download. I was drawn to the unknown, and learning about these cases I've never heard of - I tend to listen to a few podcasts along that line, rather than necessarily digging deeper into a story I'm already aware of

As described - an unidentified body. Who was she? Why hasn't she been missed? A BBC World Service and NPK original podcast, investigating a mystery unsolved for almost half a century

If you are the person that gets to the end of a podcast series & wants a nice, neat answer - this isn't the podcast for you as it's still an unsolved incident. The podcast also has an extremely active Facebook page (same title) where people are continually posting different theories etc

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey hey you made this thread!
Yeah like I said in the other thread, Root of Evil.
5 part podcast about the Black Dhalia murder. One of those situations where truth is way crazier than any sort of fiction.
Also Red Handed. True Crime podcast by 2 pommy chicks. Is great

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Most of the podcasts I listen to these days tend to be comedy podcasts, so that's all I can really recommend. On which note Meet My Friends the Friends is a deeply brilliant podcast which is superficially a re-watch of Friends that is all about meta-humour and the way the lives of the host and co-hosts spiral wildly out of control.

May not be everyone's cup of tea but there's a couple of podcasts that I have found pretty good

Slow burn - about Watergate and eventual resignation of Richard Nixon. Genuinely insane story. Have been meaning to listening to season 2 (Clinton-Lewinsky) but haven't gotten around to it

Bagman - about Spiro Agnew and how he was literally running an extortion racket as vice president of the USA.

Fear and loathing in the new Jerusalem - closest you could probably get to a fair historical account of the creation of Israel. Listener discretion warning - pretty brutal listening, be prepared to be stripped of all hope.

Lions led by donkeys - don't recommend everything from him but this is a podcast about how hilarious and stupid war is from a veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq. Focus is more on entertainment than historicity but my subsequent reading has always found it to be accurate. Recommend the following especially:

• The 7 part series on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
• The multi-part series on the Iran-iraq war
• Development of the M-16 rifle - single episode well worth it
• 3 part series on the Yemeni civil war - may anger some to listen about the involvement of former Australian SAS soldiers.

Behind the bastards - shocking and funny, sometimes probably guilty of sensationalism but not without decent grounds to do so for most of it. There's a fair few people you'd know about but just as many obscure people. Highly recommend:

• 2 seperate multi part series on L Ron Hubbard
• The guys who ran Trump University and their business model
• multi parter on Jerry Falwell and the religious right
• interview with the founder of 8-Chan and the role internet forums have played in school shootings
• how YouTube algorithms have supported the rise of modern Nazism, specifically an algorithm change in I think 2015
• a series on the history of white supremacy in America (Also released as short audio book)
• The FBI infiltration of the black Panthers
• The people who enabled Jeffery Epstein
• The American who led multiple unsuccessful invasions of Latin American countries against the wishes of the US
• Odenwald schools, WeWork, the guy who invented homeopathy, a girl who went and practiced unlicensed medicine in Africa killing numerous children, the fertility doctors who used their own sperm, Bjorn Lumborg, too many to name.

Hardcore History - highly recommend though it is pretty shocking. Series on ww1 is the one that made him famous like 20 hours of podcast maybe? Others I'd recommend:

• The wrath of the khans (history of the Mongols)
• Thors Angels (history of the barbarians who sacked Rome and the holy Roman Empire)
• Celtic holocaust (Caesar's invasion of Gaul)
• King of Kings (Persian empire)
• American Peril (American war with Spain and counter insurgency in the Philippines)
• Destroyer of worlds (history of the nuclear arms race)
• Ghosts of the Ostfront (eastern front ww2)

If you're not squeamish he did a podcast on the history of public executions that was both warped and fascinating (painfotainment). He has a way of speaking that's very dramatic and has a pretty big cult following. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the series Harry Taylor was listening to last year (was brought up in an interview that he liked history podcasts so he'd at least have heard a bit of Carlin)

I've found overall Dan Carlin (HH) and Darryl Cooper pretty rock solid in their research and they take accuracy very seriously. I haven't found too many flaws in the LLBD and BTB podcasts but they are prone to sensationalism, worth it for the entertainment. Bagman and Slow burn have been done by professional journalist and everything they use is publicly available and on the record from the time, much of it from Nixon tape recording himself and others so they're very reliable sources.

Highly recommend for anyone looking for escape from their living room during this "strange and uncertain time"

Back