Podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Only listened to one so far. When they say 1993 was the year football turned from what it used to be to what it is now, they spot on. The first year a final played at night and the last year we had a singular preliminary final. Was also before interchange benches got increased to rotation systems to come a decade later. Fitzroy still existed and true big bags of goals by forwards was way more common place. Salary cap and drafts still in their infancy that clubs not fully serious about them yet. Interstate outposts just one team towns at that point. The football itself was always exciting and still had a number of suburban grounds exists but Friday night footy was already regular fixture but not live on tv. Friday nights back then was about either going to the game or following live the radio coverage. Internet for football or club analysis was not even started. The Footy Show was not even a thing. Was the real turning point for so much going and so many changes coming.
Will be interesting to see how much they cover of all this in the series. Not much I suspect, will probably be mostly about the football which actually hammers home the point even more.

They actually cover a fair bit of all of that.

No but David Parkin gives an insight in his episode as to why Carlton lost the game. A Carlton fan was faxed information from Neale Daniher about how you were killing it at stoppages... Listen.

Every Carlton fan knows the reason is that are starting wings were Mark Athorn and Tim Powell - even I would have won a Norm Smith on either of those blokes

I listen to a lot of nba podcasts- Woj, the Lowe Post, the Vertical, Ringer Nba Show as well as Bill Simmons, Binge Mode, Titus and Serge, Revisionist History, the Sounding Board, Rob Has a Podcast during a Survivor season.

Depending on if the guest is someone I find interesting Joe Rogan, Nerdist, I am rappaport.

Simmons - i enjoy simmo when his show talks about non sports related things such as movies. Denzel on was great listening
Woj, Lowe when news requires it, during the season (not off seson)

Sam, Mike and Thomas (Grant)

Golf
- state of the game
- inside the ropes

Teachers Pet. Can't believe how many people sat around for years with all this information and did nothing.

When good men do nothing and all that.

The greatest season that was - 93'

It is a look at why the 1993 AFL season was the best ever. If you're a 30 something footy fan, you'll love it.

This has brought back some memories...

During the actual year they released a VHS called 'football record video' monthly which had all the game highlights, top 10 marks and goals and interviews with players.

It was crazy how many good matches, marks and goals happened that season.

They got Rohan Connolly to do his top 10 games of the season, heavy bombers influence but still 10 games he missed could of easily been in the top 5 games of the year.

If the grand final was a classic then it would of been the perfect season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just discovered Varg Vikerne's youtube channel called ThuleanPerspective:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBsOxskMpDmBAsgJ91fKcg

Interesting guy, interesting to watch.
He has been deleted. YouTube pretending to care about hate speech.

Some I've listened to lately...

Running From Cops - very interesting! About the TV show cops and how it's had negative effects on policing.

Crimetown season 2 - half as good as season 1 but still ok.

Sports Wars - the series on Jordan and Thomas was great and the Kobe Vs Shaq one is good. Rafa Vs Fed was decent too.

Without Fail - Conversions with people who have had great success and spectacular failures.

Conviction - A guy who breaks the rules to try and free a wrongful conviction.

Counter points - US Sports analytics.

Forgotten Austrslia - Random Aussie history

Love podcasts. My current subscription list (never get around to listening to them all):

Data Skeptic
On The Wind
Powder 8
The Intelligence
The Dirtbag Diaries
The Essay

The Art of Manliness is one I always enjoy and it always has educational and practical topics. Great for the carride into or home from work.
Life and Crime, Sizzletown, This is Your Sporting Life and Training for Ultra are also repeated listening.

Listened to the Conversations Podcast with Adam Rozenbachs today about travelling 3 weeks in Europe with his dad. Found it very funny and endearing and could relate to when I bought my mum over for a month and did a similar tour with similar experiences.

I had to download an App that located the closest toilets when my mum was here as she has a weak bladder (something I share after a few beers). We spent most of our time in Paris and London walking from toilet to toilet. She could probably write a book on EuroToilets as that's where she spent most her time, yet never understand why she had to pay( I still dont get that but I've accepted it after 7 years).

See the source image

The numero uno. Buddy Cianci more front than Myers. Jerry Tillinghast and Bobby Woolason - those voices/accents. Particularly fond of Jerry's line, "If your gonna be bad, be good at it". Season 2 whilst never scaling the heights of the first season, still craps on most of the competitors. The mayor - major league chutzpah!!!

Fave historical podcast, The British History Podcast. Jamie Jeffries rocks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back