Podcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends what you're interested in. iPhones have a Podcast app (I assume Android phones have an equivalent app with the same content). You can also find them on YouTube, whooshka, Facebook, Twitter... Most of the bigger ones are on as many platforms as possible to maximise their audience. Pretty much just type in what you want to hear about in search and go from there.

There's a few decent footy ones out there, RoCo does one under his Footyology brand, ABC Grandstand have one, most of the clubs put up podcasts of interviews with club officials, and BigFooty has a couple (though not our board). I also listen to Game of Thrones ASOIAF podcasts, I prefer Vassals of Kingsgrave.

There are some that do reviews of movies and TV shows, or ones that talk about gaming, a lot of those sort of ones seem to do spin-off shows where they talk s**t about other things as well. Most mainstream radio stations also upload podcasts of their shows, sometimes in bite sized pieces so you just pick what you want to listen to, other times entire 2-3 hour shows where you don't care about 90% of it.

I'm sure you could get podcasts on just about any topic that takes your interest though.

Someone has suggested Joe Rogan. Do you know much about him?
Nope, other than google says he's a comedian 😛 Podcasts are typically free, you could give it a listen and decide if you like it?

I just started listening to a random one and the first 7 minutes are just plugs for his affiliates.... o_O skip forwarddddd

Spotify is probably the best place to get them. But yeah as Lore said it all depends on what you're interested in.

Joe Rogan Experience can be good, depending on the guest. I've lost interest since he moved from Los Angeles to Texas, and the guests aren't as prominent due to being in Texas, but he generally has a broad range of guests on that nobody else does. I'll listen to him or a bunch of true crime podcasts or various social commentary podcasts. Literally just google whatever you're into + podcasts and have a listen.

He himself as a podcaster is very good. Basically pioneered the movement. I'm only a casual listener but I'd recommend it if you like the guest. My only gripe is he has a lot of dud guests, or guests that have been on 40 times before (Joey Diaz).

I found one he did here with Naval Ravikant to be very interesting.

I'd also recommend looking into Audiobooks. Can be similar to a podcast in many ways. I like them for long drives or commutes.

I'd also recommend looking into Audiobooks. Can be similar to a podcast in many ways. I like them for long drives or commutes.
Where do you get audiobooks from?

I have a few from Audible that I collected over a couple of months and then cancelled the subscription but idk if there’s a better way.

Where do you get audiobooks from?

I have a few from Audible that I collected over a couple of months and then cancelled the subscription but idk if there’s a better way.
It depends. It the past and sometimes still, I torrent them. But most of the time I just use Audible for convenience....and I don't pay for the account lol.

I spend a lot of time on the road and someone has suggested that I get onto podcasts. I am keen to hear if anyone has any recommendations on what to listen to, where to get them from etc.
I got into them a few years back and they are great if you are spending a lot of time in the road. Hit that purple button on your iPhone and go for it.
My fave is Hit Parade by Chris Molanphy. It is a music based podcast talking about how songs went on the charts etc. This probably sounds boring but trust me it’s ace. He will do a topic like Miley Cyrus and you think this will be meh but he makes it really interesting.
Maybe start with his April 2019 Postumous Hits episode and if you like it go from there.

Joe Rogan but they are often around 3 hours so just listen to the ones that interest you and don't be shy to turn off if the guest isn't doing it for you.

The Rewatchables by the Ringer does light hearted deep dives into popular movies. The Heat (x2) and Tombstone ones are two of my faves but lots of good ones. If you like Bill Simmons you might like his other stuff though very US sports centric.

The Bill Bert podcast is two comedians talking s**t on whatever they want. If you like Bill Burr's comedy you'll enjoy, though the podcasts can swing wildly from boring to making you want to cry with laughter.

AFL wise I really like the Sacked podcast from the Herald Sun and loved the Greatest Season That Was '93 podcast.

Funnily enough, I didn’t know who Bill Burr was until someone posted his opening monologue on SNL (I think) recently where he tore into the hijacking of the “woke” movement. Kind of like an American Jim Jeffries...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, I didn’t know who Bill Burr was until someone posted his opening monologue on SNL (I think) recently where he tore into the hijacking of the “woke” movement. Kind of like an American Jim Jeffries...

Have you checked out any of his specials? They were on Netflix last I checked. Can see the similarities to Jim, but more polished IMO.

I got into them a few years back and they are great if you are spending a lot of time in the road. Hit that purple button on your iPhone and go for it.
My fave is Hit Parade by Chris Molanphy. It is a music based podcast talking about how songs went on the charts etc. This probably sounds boring but trust me it’s ace. He will do a topic like Miley Cyrus and you think this will be meh but he makes it really interesting.
Maybe start with his April 2019 Postumous Hits episode and if you like it go from there.

I second this one - it is really good!

Also replyall is good for internet stuff, and you are more of a Tim Ferriss (The Tim Ferriss Show) kind of guy than Joe Rogan.

AFL wise I really like the Sacked podcast from the Herald Sun and loved the Greatest Season That Was '93 podcast.

Can recommend these ones. Also The Howie Games has some great one on one interviews with lots of sports stars, there's a good back catalogue to go through.

If you're interested in True Crime, Casefile's the gold standard, very well researched and told.

Joe Rogan but they are often around 3 hours so just listen to the ones that interest you and don't be shy to turn off if the guest isn't doing it for you.

The Rewatchables by the Ringer does light hearted deep dives into popular movies. The Heat (x2) and Tombstone ones are two of my faves but lots of good ones. If you like Bill Simmons you might like his other stuff though very US sports centric.

The Bill Bert podcast is two comedians talking sh*t on whatever they want. If you like Bill Burr's comedy you'll enjoy, though the podcasts can swing wildly from boring to making you want to cry with laughter.

The Rewatchables is a really interesting/enjoyable listen and lots of good episodes like you said (although in-depth analysis of female characters is non-existent except for “she was hot when I was a teenager”).
Greatest season that was is really good too, especially when they backed it up with the ‘99 World Cup and interviews with Klusner, Flem and a few others.

Another film podcast I like is “How did this get made”. It can be a bit hit&miss but the live shows are pretty funny (language warning). Bunch of friends discussing how the hell certain films got made. Croc Dundee 3 is an eye opener because they bring in the script writers (Hoges sounds like a total prick).
I wish they did more films I have seen, the Con Air episode might be a good place to start.
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/con-air-live-w-seth-grahame-smith/id409287913?i=1000389025460

I spend a lot of time on the road and someone has suggested that I get onto podcasts. I am keen to hear if anyone has any recommendations on what to listen to, where to get them from etc.
If you are interested in US sports, Bill Simmons is a really good one.

If you are looking for something light hearted and sport related, the fox sports Professor and Barney podcast is a personal favourite.

I'd recommend Joe Rogan. Really broad range of interviewees and he has an open minded curiosity based approach to his work - plus it's often *en funny of course.

He's a comedian with gun license so its left leaning but not precious (definitely not blue check Hollywood). Ultimately you get accessible in-depth discussions which is personally why I'd bother to listen to a podcast.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back