berisha

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Burnley, San Jose Sharks
Wondering how many BF gamers are fans of point and click games? Honestly, one of my favourite genres. Broken Sword is one of my fave series ever, then IPs like Syberia, Myst (Riven etc) and The Curse of Monkey Island are all gems. Just love a good tight story with challenging puzzles.

Been some really cool P&Cs in recent years: Truberbrook and Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure are two that come to mind. Played one recently The Hand of Glory Part One, which I backed on Kickstarter and releases on June 10. Would highly recommend for P&C fans (my review: https://www.well-played.com.au/the-hand-of-glory-part-one-review/).

Anyone else a fan of the genre?

1591327934812.png

1591327961675.png

1591327981747.png

1591328020275.png

1591328047666.png
'
1591328073476.png

1591328141342.png

1591328164489.png

1591328182230.png

1591328202920.png

I loved the Monkey Island Series the most however Indiana Jones & the fate of Atlantis was the best. From memory about half way through you were even given the option of how you wanted to progress and had 3 different ways to play the second half of the game all with altering story lines

More recently Thimbleweed Park was a really good game and was made by the creators of the Monkey island Series

Loved the Broken Sword games as well as Monkey Island series. I might check out some of the ones mentioned above.
never played or even heard of Broken Sword

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
My favourite PC genre.

VirtuaVerse just came out and is supposed to be a great CyberPunk adventure with super good Pixel art. Technobabylon was great too

never played or even heard of Broken Sword

Worth playing if you like these type of games. I just downloaded it onto my iPad for $8.

Valentino Dmitri

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
69 Bosoms Lane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby GP Dancesquad
Disco Elysium is brilliant. Anybody who likes point & clicks needs to play it.

I'm hoping for a physical Switch release of Disco, looks so good! Will have to try it one way or another before too long.

Really liked playing some of the Sierra Quest games as a kid on the old Amstrad - We had Police Quest, Kings Quest and Conquests of Camelot. Couldn't complete any of them, until YEARS later with the help of internet guides.

With Police Quest we got stuck because we couldn't make Sweet Cheeks Marie stay in her hotel room before the poker game because we didn't know the correct phrase to type! Conquests was borderline impossible - not just with the obtuse puzzles, but it had that thing where you could make a mistake very early on, and it wouldn't cost you until near the end of the game.

Guess you need to be in a different mind set to how you play modern games. Where game ending failures were part of the game and something different to see, kinda like getting a bad ending in a choose your own adventure. I don't mind that in theory but I found these particular games really frustrating to play as an adult!

Have a backlog of old an new to try thanks to GOG and Steam. My favourites of the recent (ish) point n clicks is Fran Bow and Tormentum. Fran Bow is more old school and looks and reads like a disturbing story book. It did have one WTF logic puzzle I needed a guide for.

1591337899405.png

Tormentum is more straightforward and is quite easy. But it does have screen after screen of fantastic artwork! Lovely looking game IMO

1591339204005.png

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I'm hoping for a physical Switch release of Disco, looks so good! Will have to try it one way or another before too long.

Really liked playing some of the Sierra Quest games as a kid on the old Amstrad - We had Police Quest, Kings Quest and Conquests of Camelot. Couldn't complete any of them, until YEARS later with the help of internet guides.

With Police Quest we got stuck because we couldn't make Sweet Cheeks Marie stay in her hotel room before the poker game because we didn't know the correct phrase to type! Conquests was borderline impossible - not just with the obtuse puzzles, but it had that thing where you could make a mistake very early on, and it wouldn't cost you until near the end of the game.

Guess you need to be in a different mind set to how you play modern games. Where game ending failures were part of the game and something different to see, kinda like getting a bad ending in a choose your own adventure. I don't mind that in theory but I found these particular games really frustrating to play as an adult!

Have a backlog of old an new to try thanks to GOG and Steam. My favourites of the recent (ish) point n clicks is Fran Bow and Tormentum. Fran Bow is more old school and looks and reads like a disturbing story book. It did have one WTF logic puzzle I needed a guide for.

View attachment 887182

Tormentum is more straightforward and is quite easy. But it does have screen after screen of fantastic artwork! Lovely looking game IMO

View attachment 887198

Thanks for Tormentum. Check out Kathy Rain for another modern pixel art classic

I don't know why Sierra programmers would make games unfinishable in the 80s if you missed something early on. Can't grasp that logic

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Subscribed for recommendations.

Broken Sword is one of my favourites of all time. Of course, in addition to some of the classics mentioned in this thread.

A lot of my point and click interest is satisfied by visual novels of late, but I'm glad to see the pure genre come back into (niche) vogue a bit. I'm yet to try some of the more modern takes but will definitely do so at some stage.

Disco Elysium is brilliant. Anybody who likes point & clicks needs to play it.
Its not on console though is it?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Its not on console though is it?

Not yet I don’t think but on the way. My old work computer ran it though which had a basic graphics card.

I’ve never actually played a point and click on console. Hopefully it doesn’t ruin the game with the slower interface.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Loved these back in the days. Sierra games in the late 80's, early 90's were awesome - Kings Quest, Space Quest, Larry, Police Quest series, played them all (originals where it was type rather than click and updated point and click versions later). Played a few others, Day of the Tentacle was a favourite, especially with its throw back to the earlier Commodore 64 game Maniac Mansion as a game within the game.

The immersive worlds of games today can be enjoyable, but sometimes a simpler game like these were (with today's graphics and sounds) would hit the spot. I haven't played any for ages, any decent ones from the last decade in this genre worth looking at?

Loved these back in the days. Sierra games in the late 80's, early 90's were awesome - Kings Quest, Space Quest, Larry, Police Quest series, played them all (originals where it was type rather than click and updated point and click versions later). Played a few others, Day of the Tentacle was a favourite, especially with its throw back to the earlier Commodore 64 game Maniac Mansion as a game within the game.

The immersive worlds of games today can be enjoyable, but sometimes a simpler game like these were (with today's graphics and sounds) would hit the spot. I haven't played any for ages, any decent ones from the last decade in this genre worth looking at?
Thimbleweed Park

Can get it on console too

Back