Sports Pointless sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
By pointless I mean sports that have been developed from pre-existing similar sports with a few minor rule modifications.

I have two nominations -

1. Korfball.
A mixture of basketball and netball, although probably more resembles netball due to it's lack of physicality. Played on a bigger size court and can be played outdoors. Looks very similar to watch as these sports, only for the fact you can go around the back of the net. It's only saving grace might be that it is mixed gender, giving it a sense of gender equality, if this is important to you when watchin/playing sport.

2. Canadian Football.
With the introduction of the Burnside rules in the early 20th Century, Canadian football has been gradually brought to look more and more like American football. Main differences such as the size of the playing field and endzone, size of the ball and number of downs do not differentiate this game enough from American football IMO, so I just don't see the point.

So what other sports would you consider as pointless?

Expect there to be some healthy debate about this with some good research. Should be a worthwhile thread.

Dressage. I'm sure some people understand what's going here man, but I'm not one of them.
Couldn't agree more. Yet it runs for the full 2 weeks of the Olympics. It was more or less permanently on London 6.

Flicked over on one of the last days and came upon an even more pointless sport, dressage with the horses 'dancing' to random music.

As soon as I saw them giving one out for that I pretty much completely lost any respect for an Olympic gold medal.

Motor racing
Can't agree. I think that's differentiated enough from other sports to take it out of the pointless category. Plus listing "motorsport" is just far too broard and varied. There are heaps of different vehicles, courses and enviroments and mediums (road, dirt, water) to satisfty alot of different interests.

Motor racing
Do you drive a modern car?

Nearly all the technology in it (including many safety things) was either developed or refined in motor racing.

You might not like it but motor racing is probably one of the most useful sports in existence in terms of affecting people's daily lives.

Tennis and Golf have to be the two most overrated sports ever known to anyone in the world.
Two people hit the ball back and forth over a net while they grunt and groan is the most amazing sport ever, I've never said.
Golf well it's ok to play when you want to get out with the boys and have a few tubes, but cone on as a srs game pfffft

So I did some research on slamball.

Seems that it's US inventors want to sell it's licencing to Australian promoters and install slamball courts. Assuming they are just going to convert existing basketball courts, seems like a waste and destruction of good basketball courts to me.

The co-founder of the sport is quoted on it's website as it being the breakout team sport of the 21st century.

Deluded.

Tennis and Golf have to be the two most overrated sports ever known to anyone in the world.
Two people hit the ball back and forth over a net while they grunt and groan is the most amazing sport ever, I've never said.
Golf well it's ok to play when you want to get out with the boys and have a few tubes, but cone on as a srs game pfffft

You can make any sport sound stupid when you trivialise it like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like when Judd won a Browlow you mean.

Huh?

The op was what sports you think are pointless not what you thought I thought silly.

The OP specified what he meant by 'pointless' in the first line of this thread.
Nobody cares what sports you don't like.

Artistic gymnastics - the one where they use the streamer thing and make pretty patterns. What's the point of it, and how do you know if you're any good at it? Every time I see it I just think Will Ferrell in Old School:

wferrel_zps76b3f58a.jpg

By pointless I mean sports that have been developed from pre-existing similar sports with a few minor rule modifications.

I have two nominations -

1. Korfball.
A mixture of basketball and netball, although probably more resembles netball due to it's lack of physicality. Played on a bigger size court and can be played outdoors. Looks very similar to watch as these sports, only for the fact you can go around the back of the net. It's only saving grace might be that it is mixed gender, giving it a sense of gender equality, if this is important to you when watchin/playing sport.

2. Canadian Football.
With the introduction of the Burnside rules in the early 20th Century, Canadian football has been gradually brought to look more and more like American football. Main differences such as the size of the playing field and endzone, size of the ball and number of downs do not differentiate this game enough from American football IMO, so I just don't see the point.

So what other sports would you consider as pointless?

Expect there to be some healthy debate about this with some good research. Should be a worthwhile thread.
Netball is a very physical sport probably more then footy (these days)!

Indoor football (AFL). One of the most stupid inventions in sporting history. Basically takes everything that is “instinctive” about playing footy and doesn’t allow you to do it. Stupid, stupid, stupid (stupid) game, to both play and watch. I can’t believe there is actually a market for it.

Does walking count? That’s always struck me as pretty dumb. Go as fast as you on two feet, without doing what you naturally do to go fast (running). Schizophrenic sport.

LOL @ motor racing. As mentioned above, it probably has more impact on our daily lives than any other sport. It’s simply the pointy end of motoring research and development.

Most sports that were recently “invented” really. MMA is about the only one I can think of that has any merit. I’m no fan of it but it does take a shiteload of talent, courage and strength and is sufficiently different from the other combat sports.

Indoor football (AFL). One of the most stupid inventions in sporting history. Basically takes everything that is “instinctive” about playing footy and doesn’t allow you to do it. Stupid, stupid, stupid (stupid) game, to both play and watch. I can’t believe there is actually a market for it.

Does walking count? That’s always struck me as pretty dumb. Go as fast as you on two feet, without doing what you naturally do to go fast (running). Schizophrenic sport.

LOL @ motor racing. As mentioned above, it probably has more impact on our daily lives than any other sport. It’s simply the pointy end of motoring research and development.

Most sports that were recently “invented” really. MMA is about the only one I can think of that has any merit. I’m no fan of it but it does take a shiteload of talent, courage and strength and is sufficiently different from the other combat sports.

MMA has been around since the ancient olympics. It's only just come into the spotlight with the UFC in the last 10 years or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back