Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Betty White was born before the invention of sliced bread.

(Got it from an Instagram post so it must be true)

In 1996 the Canadian government held an opinion poll as to whether they should rename the Northwest Territories and what should it be renamed. The most popular response was to keep the name the same, the second most popular was to rename it Bob.

In 1996 the Canadian government held an opinion poll as to whether they should rename the Northwest Territories and what should it be renamed. The most popular response was to keep the name the same, the second most popular was to rename it Bob.
"Bob is so cold and distant" makes perfect sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keith Richards recorded Gimme Shelter using a Melbourne-made electric guitar called a Maton EG240 Supreme. Maton are better known for their acoustic guitars, used by people such as Tommy Emmanuel. Tell all ya friends :D

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-story-behind-the-rolling-stones-gimme-shelter-638926

There's something about the guitar on Gimme Shelter that's very different. The song contains one of The Rolling Stones' best-known riffs, and comes from one of their most critically acclaimed albums. And what was Keith Richards playing on it? A Fender Telecaster? A Les Paul? A sunburst Gibson ES-330TD? No, it was a Maton EG240 Supreme.

The story of how Keith ended up with an Australian Maton guitar in his hands while recording Gimme Shelter in 1969 is a happy accident. Like so many things from that time, Keith forgets the name of the person who owned the instrument, but remembers him staying at his London apartment for a while.
"He crashed out for a couple of days and suddenly left in a hurry, leaving that guitar behind," he recalled in a 2002 interview with Guitar World. "You know, 'Take care of it for me.' I certainly did."

Well, not exactly. In fact, the guitar ended up in two pieces. Keith played the Maton throughout the Let It Bleed sessions in February and March 1969, and particularly on Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter.

"It had been all revarnished and painted out, but it sounded great," he said. "It made a great record. And on the very last note of Gimme Shelter the whole neck fell off. You can hear it on the original take."

I've been playing guitar on and off for a long time, and I had no idea about this. I only heard it because one of bosses at Maton was talking about it on the radio last week when they got robbed.

Last edited:
When Sweden play Denmark the scoreboard will read SWE-DEN. The remaining letters spell DEN-MARK.

When Sweden play Denmark the scoreboard will read SWE-DEN. The remaining letters spell DEN-MARK.

To be Captain Buzzkill I do have to point out this is a common occurrence.

eg Poland - Andorra, Cyprus - Russia and some others that have been posted before.

You just need to find a country with a combination of three letters at the end that coincide with three letters at the start of another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back