Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Tutankhamen lived and died 1342-1324 bce

Cleopatra lived 69-30 bc

More comparable to signing of Magna Carta

My bad, what I had meant to say was that Cleopatra was born closer to today than when the Pyramids were constructed (around 3200 BC). Although I had thought Tutankhamen's short lifespan was years earlier than it was.

Here's another interesting one; earlier this week (15 April) it was the 112th anniversary of the Titanic sinking in 1912. However, later this year on Sunday 28th July 2024 the Titanic will have been gone for 41,012 days. Why is this significant? Because on that date, the Titanic will have sank closer in time to the 1700s (31 December 1799) than to the present day.

I don't know what that last operator means, it's like "modulus but they're straight lines, hmm.

(I have more of a nerd mind than a dirty one)
Greatest integer less than or equal to x. When x is positive it means just dropping anything after the decimal point eg 5.823 becomes 5. It's a bit less intuitive for negative numbers where -5.823 becomes -6.

Last edited:
Why is everything where x<-1 not straight perpendicular lines?
y^2 = x / floor(x)

When x is slightly less than -1, floor(x) = -2 and x ≈ -1

so y^2 ≈ -1/-2 = 1/2

When x is slightly greater than -2, floor(x) = -2 and x ≈ -2

so y^2 ≈ -2/-2 = 1

When x is slightly less than negative integer n, floor(n) = n-1 and n ≈ n

so y^2 ≈ n/(n-1) this fraction is closer and closer to 1 the larger n get

When x is much less than negative integer n but still greater than n-1 we have n ≈ n-1 and floor(n) = n-1

so y^2 ≈ (n-1)/(n-1) = 1

Ultimately we have y^2 being slightly less than 1 immediately to the left of a negative integer and climbing to 1 as x approaches the next negative integer to the left.

Everything is mirrored because y^2 will have a positive and negative solution.

Benny Hill would also have turned 100 this year, having been born on 21-Jan-1924, the same day that Lenin died.
I saw the John Le Mesurier would have turned 112 the other day. He was the only Dad's Army cast member to rate a mention in Wisden as a promising schoolboy cricketer in 1930 whose season was curtailed by injury although according to Le Mesurier himself he got pissed on a train coming back from a game and was banned for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the John Le Mesurier would have turned 112 the other day. He was the only Dad's Army cast member to rate a mention in Wisden as a promising schoolboy cricketer in 1930 whose season was curtailed by injury although according to Le Mesurier himself he got pissed on a train coming back from a game and was banned for the rest of the season.

Continues to dominate the thread

Ever seen a sporting team where the emblem just seems wrong? For example a team miles inland that uses a dolphin, shark or marlin.

In America franchise moves between cities in all professional sports is relatively commonplace. This differs from Australia and England where this is less commonly seen. The result in the NBA is that there are some teams with emblems and branding that don't really suit their current locations, but make sense when you consider where they were based previously:

LA Lakers - One doesn't really associate Los Angeles with lakes, but the northern state of Minnesota is known as the land of 1000 lakes and it is where this NBA team originated, before moving to California in 1960.

Utah Jazz - When thinking of Salt Lake City normally one thinks of Mormons, and are Mormons known for their love of jazz music? Probably not, but the city of New Orleans is famous for its jazz music scene, and it is this city where this NBA franchise was originally based before moving to Utah after 1979.

Memphis Grizzlies - What are the chances of one meeting a grizzly bear roaming around Memphis? Probably not very high, but it might well happen in Vancouver Canade, where the Grizzlies were based before moving to Tennessee after the 2001 NBA season.

Some teams however completely re-brand after relocating. As one example, the current Oklahoma City Thunder team in their bright blue, red, orange and black uniforms bear no resemblance to their predecessors the Seattle Supersonics from which they were relocated in 2008, the Sonics wearing green and white uniforms.

You should read up on Le Mesurier he was quite the lad. He wasn't acting very hard to portray as Sgt. Wilson as a vague, half stoned sort of character.

And with the passing of Ian Lavender (Private Pike) earlier this year, there are no more Dad's Army actors in the main or supporting casts still living today.

Imagine what happened when Private Pike 'crossed over' earlier this year:

Captain Mainwaring: What's the meaning of this, Pike? You're the last one here. Even the Vicar beat you by over two years.

Pike: Sorry Captain Mainwaring, I hope I didn't keep everyone waiting too long?

Captain Mainwaring: About 42 years in my case, and 41 years for Sergeant Wilson. It was very boring, wasn't it Sergeant?

Sergeant Wilson: Well, it was rather dull at stages Sir, but I wouldn't say it was the most frightfully boring experience one could ever endure.

Captain Mainwaring: Well Pike, what do you have to say for yourself?

Pike: I'm ever so sorry Captain Mainwaring, Sergeant Wilson.

Captain Mainwaring: You stupid boy.

And with the passing of Ian Lavender (Private Pike) earlier this year, there are no more Dad's Army actors in the main or supporting casts still living today.

Imagine what happened when Private Pike 'crossed over' earlier this year:

Captain Mainwaring: What's the meaning of this, Pike? You're the last one here. Even the Vicar beat you by over two years.

Pike: Sorry Captain Mainwaring, I hope I didn't keep everyone waiting too long?

Captain Mainwaring: About 42 years in my case, and 41 years for Sergeant Wilson. It was very boring, wasn't it Sergeant?

Sergeant Wilson: Well, it was rather dull at stages Sir, but I wouldn't say it was the most frightfully boring experience one could ever endure.

Captain Mainwaring: Well Pike, what do you have to say for yourself?

Pike: I'm ever so sorry Captain Mainwaring, Sergeant Wilson.

Captain Mainwaring: You stupid boy.
I loved the scene where Fulton MacKay tries to get him to pretend he was in France being interrogated by Nazis.

I loved the scene where Fulton MacKay tries to get him to pretend he was in France being interrogated by Nazis.

I liked the episode where the barrage balloon broke loose and carried Captain Mainwaring away with it. But Dad's Army is such a great show, a true icon of comedy that it's really hard to pick a favorite episode.

Ever seen a sporting team where the emblem just seems wrong? For example a team miles inland that uses a dolphin, shark or marlin.

In America franchise moves between cities in all professional sports is relatively commonplace. This differs from Australia and England where this is less commonly seen. The result in the NBA is that there are some teams with emblems and branding that don't really suit their current locations, but make sense when you consider where they were based previously:

LA Lakers - One doesn't really associate Los Angeles with lakes, but the northern state of Minnesota is known as the land of 1000 lakes and it is where this NBA team originated, before moving to California in 1960.

Utah Jazz - When thinking of Salt Lake City normally one thinks of Mormons, and are Mormons known for their love of jazz music? Probably not, but the city of New Orleans is famous for its jazz music scene, and it is this city where this NBA franchise was originally based before moving to Utah after 1979.

Memphis Grizzlies - What are the chances of one meeting a grizzly bear roaming around Memphis? Probably not very high, but it might well happen in Vancouver Canade, where the Grizzlies were based before moving to Tennessee after the 2001 NBA season.

Some teams however completely re-brand after relocating. As one example, the current Oklahoma City Thunder team in their bright blue, red, orange and black uniforms bear no resemblance to their predecessors the Seattle Supersonics from which they were relocated in 2008, the Sonics wearing green and white uniforms.
Charlotte Hornets > New Orleans Hornets (Charlotte becomes Bobcats) > back to Charlotte Hornets (Bobcats dissolved, New Orleans gets new team called Pelicans).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back