brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
After the BBC version has aired on the ABC and UKTV for some time, Channel 10 has developed a local version - hosted by Mark Humphries and Dr Andrew Rochford. Given the highbrow nature of the show, it's an interesting choice for Channel 10 to pick up.

Ok, lets be honest, Channel 10 have completely butchered the format. By condensing the show from a one hour to 30 minute format, we see only three sets of contestants and three rounds (as opposed to four sets of contestants and four rounds in the BBC version). The first round is too quick, and then we hit the head to head round, which they draw out by throwing in an ad break halfway through the round. The final round has been jigged to ensure it is near impossible to win the jackpot - only being given 30 answers to come up with two answers (as opposed to 60 seconds for 3 in the BBC version).

While I was a fan of Mark Humphries on The Feed, his shouty style of presenting is not a good fit for the show. There also isn't a great deal of chemistry between Humphries and Rochford, but that might develop as the series goes on.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I like the fact that they don't waste time on back stories for the contestants. We meet them, we're told their relationship, then we get straight into it.

I agree with your comments about Humphries' "shouty" style, and the lack of chemistry between the two presenters. Hopefully that will develop over time, assuming 10 give the show enough time to grow.

Having the show on Ch10 is the really strange decision - this show is far more intelligent and high brow than the Ch10 audience would be used to. It's far better suited to the ABC, where viewers are used to having to think for themselves, rather than just tuning in and switching their brains off.

It's just not very good, the questions definitely make you think a bit but as you blokes said it's not suited to 6pm and the host is rubbish.

You can see why they did it though Family Feud was giving away cash every night on this they might never have to give any away

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Ahhh you mean the ads with a game show inbetween. I remember when we used to have good game shows.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

Apparently 10 want to revive Sale of the Century too.

I hope Fremantle Media tell them 'Thanks but no thanks' - this could end very badly if Pointless is 10's benchmark for high brow game shows.

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Havent seen an episode yet, but I was definitely surprised they went for this show in this timeslot, given that the type of people this show is geared towards are more likely to keep watch 6pm news bulletins on 7 & 9.

I really would like to see Blanket Blanks come back, but I suspect the nature of the show may mean its not possible in today's society.

If not, then even Wheel of Fortune maybe.

I hope Fremantle Media tell them 'Thanks but no thanks' - this could end very badly if Pointless is 10's benchmark for high brow game shows.

At least Sale was watchable

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sale of the Century on 10?

They would butcher that too. Theyd be better bringing back Battle of the Sexes that they did in late 90's.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Havent seen an episode yet, but I was definitely surprised they went for this show in this format, given that the type of people this show is geared towards are more likely to keep watch 6pm news bulletins on 7 & 9.

I really would like to see Blanket Blanks come back, but I suspect the nature of the show may mean its not possible in today's society.

If not, then even Wheel of Fortune maybe.

I think 10 could pull off a revived Blankety Blanks. ABC in the US have successfully revived the US version (Match Game) of the show, and I think this is one show 10 could actually pull off well.

As for Wheel - Wheel will never be the same without Adriana.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

FremantleMedia mostly make s**t. They'd be all over a Sale of the Century reboot.

Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Big fan of the BBC version, was always going to be difficult for the channel 10 version to be as good. I kinda like the host, and I do like that they spend less time on the contestants personal life. Hopefully 10 give it a chance to find it's feet and iron out a few kinks. Much prefer to have this on than family feud.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Agree with basically everything brucetiki said in the OP.

The pacing is off because they rush to fit the format into 21 minutes; Mark Humphries OTT shouty style doesn't fit the show - it feels like he's satirising it instead; and the two hosts lack chemistry, but that's understandable and might develop.

The lack of questions are also weird given its supposed to be a quiz show - there are 5 questions per pass in the first round instead of 6, 2 options at the end instead of 4 and only 2 categories to guess at instead of 3 in the final round. Are they trying to save money on question writers and/or researchers?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2007
On a 3-hour tour
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Fighting Illini
I watched the first episode and half of the third. I did try, but it beat me.

Host shouting, I’ll-fitting suit, and always points at the scoreboard as it registers an answer. Why oh why?

Rochford is pleasant, sort of. But a bit smarmy.

I am taken by how closely, and badly, they follow the original’s scripts. Also taken by why a show would have been in rehearsal for a considerable time and it comes through so amateurish.

I love the UK version, the two hosts work well together and I like the fact that you get to know a little bit about the contestants. It also has a laid back feel to it, it doesn't rush the contestants and the banter between the hosts and contestants is great.
I hate the AUS version, the two hosts are terrible, it's too short, and they try and run through each game at warp speed. They need to expand it to an hour (or 40 minutes minus the ads) and let the game develop a tempo. The also need to give Humphries some valium or something to calm him down a little.
The repeats of Think Tank are better than this.

Aug 7, 2008
Rooty Hill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Reading,Angels,Blue Sox,T.I.S.M.
I have had 3 auditions for this and am currently waiting a filming date.

The UK version is great and I agree the Aus version is too short. The best thing about the UK version is the interaction between the 2 hosts.

Ideally the Aus version would go for 1 hour (with ads) and the hosts would be a pairing that already have a connection. For example Adam Spencer and Wil Anderson but personally I would love to see Roy and HG run it.

Back