2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Same here. The last one with U.S states that end in a vowel - knew Delaware would be a good answer. Checked the site and it got 2
FlickeringAridBeauceron-max-1mb.gif

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I quite enjoy the difference of the Aussie version. The chemistry between Mark and Andrew has developed quickly and they are now quite fun (and funny) to watch.

Sure it's not the same quality of quiz show that the UK version is, but I don't think it was ever going to be. It seems that Australia doesn't seem to have the attention span or the desire to watch "serious" quiz shows that don't have a gimmick of some sort, any more - The Chase is probably the closest thing to one, but with their emphasis on the "story" of the contestants and AOK's hosting of the show, that deviates from the UK version a fair bit too

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I quite enjoy the difference of the Aussie version. The chemistry between Mark and Andrew has developed quickly and they are now quite fun (and funny) to watch.

Sure it's not the same quality of quiz show that the UK version is, but I don't think it was ever going to be. It seems that Australia doesn't seem to have the attention span or the desire to watch "serious" quiz shows that don't have a gimmick of some sort, any more - The Chase is probably the closest thing to one, but with their emphasis on the "story" of the contestants and AOK's hosting of the show, that deviates from the UK version a fair bit too

I don’t mind it it but I wish they’d * off some of the banter for the extra round that they’ve trimmed from the uk version.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I never saw the British version until after I had seen the Aussie one.

I am a big Mark Humphries fan and I'm glad to see him being himself on here. He is a great character. I think there is chemistry between him and Doc. I like the show. I had banished Family Feud from our TV, so it's kinda nice to watch a show with the family at dinner time that is not brain dead.

I watched an episode of the British one last week and found it a bit slow, but the guy doing Doc's role was funny.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I don’t mind it it but I wish they’d **** off some of the banter for the extra round that they’ve trimmed from the uk version.
The banter isn't too bad, particularly when compared with My Kitchen Chase Australia.

I'm anally retentive enough to edit The Chase Australia down to just the quizzing, in order to make it watchable. I cut all of the banter & AOK's monologues (he really does love the sound of his own voice). A 40 minute show is regularly reduced to 28 minutes, sometimes less if the contestants are really incompetent. Pointless is much, much, tighter.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
The banter isn't too bad, particularly when compared with My Kitchen Chase Australia.

I'm anally retentive enough to edit The Chase Australia down to just the quizzing, in order to make it watchable. I cut all of the banter & AOK's monologues (he really does love the sound of his own voice). A 40 minute show is regularly reduced to 28 minutes, sometimes less if the contestants are really incompetent. Pointless is much, much, tighter.

Yeah the British Chase is so much better. AOK is painful. I find I get a lot more answers correct on the Aussie one. Partially because of local topics and partly because they are easier.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Yeah the British Chase is so much better. AOK is painful. I find I get a lot more answers correct on the Aussie one. Partially because of local topics and partly because they are easier.
I think the British version of The Chase has harder questions, even allowing for the number of "local topic" questions. AOK is not fit to tie Bradley Manning's shoelaces when it comes to the hosting duties.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong

I wish it had never been bought to my attention about AOK having his hands around like he is either a conductor of an orchestra, or the front man on a Mardi Gras float, because now it is even more distracting that his fake laugh, facial expressions and or inane banter. I can tune into and ensure the last 10 minutes of The Chase, but the rest is pretty unwatchable.

Australian Pointless has settled pretty well now and I don't mind it. A different show from the UK one, but watchable enough for the timeslot and as an alternative to watching the news which often is not really family viewing.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
In the first round yesterday, the question was to name the cocktail from the list on the board that had all the vowels removed.

Apparently S_D_C_R was "Seducer", a cocktail I've never heard of, and it scored 2 points. I wonder what would have happened if someone had answered "Sidecar"? Did they have multiple correct answers?

In the first round yesterday, the question was to name the cocktail from the list on the board that had all the vowels removed.

Apparently S_D_C_R was "Seducer", a cocktail I've never heard of, and it scored 2 points. I wonder what would have happened if someone had answered "Sidecar"? Did they have multiple correct answers?

Sometimes i think they make the scores up on the spot

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Too many ad breaks in pointless is my only issue

round 2 they do one question add break then if the same team gets both right it's another one question and more ads
The show has 3 ad breaks and 20 minutes of content, exactly the same as every other 30 minute show on commercial tv.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

The show has 3 ad breaks and 20 minutes of content, exactly the same as every other 30 minute show on commercial tv.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Yes I understand how commercial TV works, even family feud didn't feel like there was barely any content between the ads though.

It's mostly because there isn't a lot of question answering going on you get 2 answers and scores then another ad break, other shows just feel like they have more content

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Yes I understand how commercial TV works, even family feud didn't feel like there was barely any content between the ads though.

It's mostly because there isn't a lot of question answering going on you get 2 answers and scores then another ad break, other shows just feel like they have more content
The structure of the show is that there are really only 4 or 5 questions in the 30 minutes. One question in the first round (answered separately by both teammates), 2 or 3 in the "head to head" round, and one in the final round.

Commercial television has a very fixed format. 30 minute shows have 20 minutes of actual programming, broken up by 3 ad breaks. 60 minute shows have 40 minutes of actual programming (though I regularly edit The Chase Australia down to 28 minutes), broken up by 5 ad breaks.

The structure of the game allows for 2 "natural" breaks, between rounds. They have to fit a 3rd break in somewhere, so that means splitting the 1st or 2nd rounds. They've sensibly chosen to break the 2nd round, avoiding having the same question asked on either side of an ad break.

Ideally, they'd only have 2 ad breaks, with more ads in each. I guess there's a limit to how many ads people will tolerate before they change channel, and a 2 ad break structure would exceed this limit.

It's not an ideal structure, and I understand your argment that it "feels like" there are too many ads. The reality is that Pointless has no more ads than any other prime time 30 minute program.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I'd prefer if they had a longer ad break between the rounds but cut out the ad break in the middle of Round 2. That's the one that annoys me.
That's the ideal solution, as far as structuring the show is concerned.

I suspect they have done studies into how many ads they can fit in a single break, before the viewers start leaving in droves. Actually, I don't "suspect" this at all - I'm damn sure they've done those studies, and know exactly what they can get away with. What I do "suspect" is that a 2 ad-break structure would exceed the viewers' advertising tolerance limits.

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to admit, Ive quited enjoyed ch10's version of this show.

Anyone know when the new episodes will be showing, instead of the repeats?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I have to admit, Ive quited enjoyed ch10's version of this show.

Anyone know when the new episodes will be showing, instead of the repeats?
Not sure.

That Celebrity/Jungle rubbish started last night, this may indicate that 10 are bringing their ratings shows back early - maybe Pointless could be another to return early. I guess we'll find out tonight.

The official TV ratings period doesn't start until Sunday 10th February, so we may have to wait until Monday 11th February.

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Someone mentioned to me that they saw an ad on ch10 saying new episodes commencing tonight, so presumably that is correct.

Re Celebrity starting early - I think we can see CBS influence on ch10, with this show commencing earlier than previous years. They probably had to really, though, given that 10 no longer have Big Bash cricket, so they really have nothing to attract viewers during the summer months, unlike 7 and 9 who have the cricket & tennis.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Someone mentioned to me that they saw an ad on ch10 saying new episodes commencing tonight, so presumably that is correct.

Re Celebrity starting early - I think we can see CBS influence on ch10, with this show commencing earlier than previous years. They probably had to really, though, given that 10 no longer have Big Bash cricket, so they really have nothing to attract viewers during the summer months, unlike 7 and 9 who have the cricket & tennis.
The online TV guides have tonight's episode marked as a new episode. More accurately, it's not marked as a repeat.

Ch10 have been slaughtered in the ratings since the start of summer. With no BBL, and no tennis, they have nothing to attract viewers. Last week's ratings figures can be found here:
https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/01/summer-of-sport-continues.html

They finished 4th, behind Ch7, Nein, and the ABC. They lost to the ABC on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

It's no surprise then that they're going back to their "ratings period" shows early. Partly it's an act of desperation, partly it's in the hope of hooking & retaining viewers once the ratings period commances.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Yeah, just doesn't seem to take into account how much viewing has changed.
You'd be surprised. It also includes figures for streaming and catch-up sites, plus people watching shows on delay, and people watching on non-traditional screens (e.g. tablets & phones). It's not just people sitting in front of their TVs, watching shows at the time of broadcast.

Of course, it only measures those networks who pay to have their ratings measured - the 5x FTA networks, plus Foxtel. Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. don't pay, so they're not measured.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'm now even less sure about their answer results than ever after today's episode.

For the final question, one of the options was countries with a five pointed star on their flag, and the list of answers on their website doesn't even list a correct answer at all - Ghana. I wonder how many other times this has happened?

Back