Points System

Remove this Banner Ad

Dragan

Debutant
Nov 3, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi everyone just want to hear your views on the point system being used in local footy. I have no issues with it as long as the country teams have same rules. What are your thoughts or comments?

Hi everyone just want to hear your views on the point system being used in local footy. I have no issues with it as long as the country teams have same rules. What are your thoughts or comments?

I think its the best thing that could happen to local footy. Will benefit those who have put time into developing a sound junior structure. Won't necessary put everyone on a level playing field if clubs don't have juniors or a memorandum of understanding with another junior club. Last year our club were fielding sides worth 30 points because of this, others would've been around the same.
Rules will be generally the same for country leagues, just a few minor changes to total points e.g. Ballarat league only have a cap of 48 points where as the SFL has 50. I know Picola & Dist league were opposed to the points system, as towns like Waaia have a town population of 29 and are on the hub of GVFL & Murray league (hard to produce home grown talent.) But I digress

Just wait until AFL Vic introduce a salary cap next year, should shake up a lot of clubs in Melbourne

Those country teams offer heaps of $$ for local kids to leave metro clubs so will be interesting. What about teams like Balwyn and noble surely they will be hit under this

If a gun local player has played 3 or 4 years at a club then leaves for a season what will his points be worth? Does he get a deduction for years service?

If a gun local player has played 3 or 4 years at a club then leaves for a season what will his points be worth? Does he get a deduction for years service?

It depends what that player has achieved in the previous season.
If he leaves for another club he's 3 points.

Add another point
if: he was top 5 club BNF, top 10 league BNF or kicked 40 goals

Add another point
if he is transferring to another club in the same competition

If he returns to that original club that he played 3 - 4 years at it will depend on whether he is a home player to revert to one point. i.e played 40 or more games at the club as a junior (or a junior club that the senior club has a "memorandum of understanding"

See below flow chart image.png image.png

I think its the best thing that could happen to local footy. Will benefit those who have put time into developing a sound junior structure. Won't necessary put everyone on a level playing field if clubs don't have juniors or a memorandum of understanding with another junior club. Last year our club were fielding sides worth 30 points because of this, others would've been around the same.
Rules will be generally the same for country leagues, just a few minor changes to total points e.g. Ballarat league only have a cap of 48 points where as the SFL has 50. I know Picola & Dist league were opposed to the points system, as towns like Waaia have a town population of 29 and are on the hub of GVFL & Murray league (hard to produce home grown talent.) But I digress

Just wait until AFL Vic introduce a salary cap next year, should shake up a lot of clubs in Melbourne
Salary caps will be useless when they come in.......Whats to stop a sponsor paying someone and not put it on the books. Biggest problem I see are clubs that have no juniors and need more points

Case in point. Pat Nicholls would have been a 3 point player at Chelt but is now a 6 point player at Bentleigh.

I like the way the system works but will take a maths geek on match committee to work it all out!

I'm pretty sure he would've been 4 points at Cheltenham this year, if he was your leading goal kicker last year (min 40 goals) & wasn't a home player. Unless anyone else kicked more?

Points system match day will be easy to work out if you have a lot of home grown talent. I was a C grade maths student and even I know my 1 times tables ;)

e.g. Scott Lawry: 2015 league BNF winner = 1 point @ BFC

Case in point. Pat Nicholls would have been a 3 point player at Chelt but is now a 6 point player at Bentleigh.

I like the way the system works but will take a maths geek on match committee to work it all out!
Thats where it fails Why should be be the same value as an AFL player

VFL player who has left to play in same division. 6 points is fair enough IMO.

The extra point for transferring within the comp is a very good initiative.
I like the intent of the points system but why do you like the extra point rule? If a good player wants to change clubs he is more likely to leave the league completely with this in place.

I like the intent of the points system but why do you like the extra point rule? If a good player wants to change clubs he is more likely to leave the league completely with this in place.
Points system policies introduced to help clubs retain players and lure players back to their senior affiliated junior club. There's also a reduction of a point for one year of loyalty. Works both ways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who works out your current players points and who does the back ground check on where players played juniors, eg A player returns to a senior club at 30 years of age but hasn't played any seniors there at all but he played juniors at the club 12 years prior how do you or the league prove that.

Who works out your current players points and who does the back ground check on where players played juniors, eg A player returns to a senior club at 30 years of age but hasn't played any seniors there at all but he played juniors at the club 12 years prior how do you or the league prove that.

Quite easy the players name will be on the leagues record and if you put the clubs name as a junior club the league will only have to a short computer search to find his games tally as nearly all the records will be on computer some where

I'm tipping AFL Vic or individual leagues will refer to a Sporting Pulse type data base for that information. e.g. amount of goals kicked, games played, amount of clubs in 3 years etc. Remember every player now reregisters online at the start of every season for a particular club. Not sure how they will find out top 5 club BNF though, I guess that's an honesty based system, where clubs provide the info to the league.

The example you gave: in that instance he'd be worth 1 point in my opinion as is returning as a "home player". That is, if he had played 40+ games at junior level to that aligned club before Under 17s

Quite easy the players name will be on the leagues record and if you put the clubs name as a junior club the league will only have to a short computer search to find his games tally as nearly all the records will be on computer some where
I'm not sure records go that far how old is the sporting pulse system i'm only guessing 6 -8 years old.What if a Junior club is no longer in existence a lot of the older area are losing teams yearly.

I'm not sure records go that far how old is the sporting pulse system i'm only guessing 6 -8 years old.What if a Junior club is no longer in existence a lot of the older area are losing teams yearly.

Then in that case you'd need to get that clarified. I'm tipping he'd still be one point but who knows on the ruling of junior clubs that don't exist anymore as you need to have a "memorandum of understanding" with a junior aligned club

can of worms that one

Salary caps will be useless when they come in.......Whats to stop a sponsor paying someone and not put it on the books. Biggest problem I see are clubs that have no juniors and need more points

The points and salary cap has not even come in to force and you are already looking for ways to get around it. Herein lies the problem. If clubs and Associations had got together and agreed to a salary cap and made it work, there would no necessity to have points. You reap what you sow. Enjoy the insanity that will follow trying to work it all out. Fish seems to have his head around it so he will be the go to guy.
Enjoy......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back