Other Pokemon Blue: A Nuzlocke

Part 0: The start
So I thought I might post my little run of Pokemon Blue here while I am playing the game with Gen 1 mechanics and all that lovely things that are not in a Pokemon game or well shouldn't be in a game. Of course, there are rules to a Nuzlocke and I will post them here

• You must catch the first encounter and if it faints during that battle then you don't get a second chance
  • The only exception to this is if it's a duplicate and in that case, you can get two more chances before going on ahead
  • If the Pokemon faints on your side, it's considered dead and must be released into the society of graveyard (as known as box 12 (last box in the game))
  • The battle style is to SET
  • For gym battles, you are only allowed the number of Pokemon that the gym leader as (If Brock has 2 Pokemon, you are only allowed to bring 2 into the gym fight)
  • Gift Pokemon are allowed
  • Safari Zone is treated as four different areas to catch a Pokemon instead of one.
  • If I white out, it's game over.

Part 1: Road to Peweter City (Route 1/Route 22)
So the road to completing a Nuzlocke starts with a starter and I get a choice between three Pokemon, those being Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. Thinking over the choices I go with the most logical choice and choose Bulbasaur as my starter pick as I did hear that the first two gyms were weak to grass with that being the Rock and Water gym. My opposing number, Dave elected to choose to a Charmander which I ponder on that choice as that would be a tough task for him to complete.

The first battle is what you literally would think of an opening battle, spam tackle until the Charmander fainted or have to use the potion to still get the victory. Luckily we didn't have to force the second option as we defeat Dave and have Bulba level up to level six. He wasn't happy to lose to me but I did say that for these starters, it was probably their first battle so give them time to train up and maybe get a challenge for the run.

After getting the parcel from the shopkeeper to Oak, it was time to catch some Pokemon. But not before needing to buy some Pokeballs because someone forgot to give me Pokeballs which meant buying five Pokeballs and five antidotes from the Pokemart to give me a start to my journey across the lands of Kantos. Heading into the grass, my first encounter being a Rattata which was a Level 2 Pokemon.

Heading back into Viridian City, I headed west to Route 22 to get my encounter there. The encounter that I got was a Nidoran Female which would be a great addition to the team, except for the fact that I had killed my encounter with the final chip of HP being leech seeded away. I pondered my luck as I thought I would be able to get the catch, but a crit killed that chance. But hey at least I got Bulba up to Level 7 which meant she learned Leech Seed which will be helpful for the early game but maybe not for the late game.

Bulba the Bulbasaur (Level 7 - Tackle/Growl/Leech Seed)
Ratar the Rattata (Level 3 - Tackle/Tail Whip)

OOC: I know there is no gender in the Gen 1 games but I will classify my Bulbasaur as she.

Part 2: Viridian Forest, wait the bugs (Route 2/Viridan Forest)
So with the disappointment of missing my Route 22 encounter due to a Leech Seed, a quick heal was in order before heading up to Route 2. Hoping not for a dupe I get lucky with Pida the Pidgey (Level 3) being the first sighting which luckily we didn't leech seed to death so that was a relief as we have our third member of the team and the team is starting to grow quite nicely with a bit of variety in my team starting to take shape with Pida covering for that flying weakness that Bulba had for flying types as from past experiences there was some Spearows which I hoped we would try and avoid in levelling up to face the first gym leader in Brock.

My real worry heading into Viridian Forest was a possible encounter of a Metapod which in my two previous attempts at doing this Nuzlocke thing before it ended in failure with both of those times being a Metapod encounter. Luckily this time wasn't a Metapod encounter as I met with Catta the Caterpie (Level 4) and after a sigh of relief, threw the last ball that I had in my possession so far to catch the Caterpie and add it to my team which had grown to four Pokemon.

Looking back on this part of the run, I should really need to head back as I think I did miss some items while trying to advance forward to the first gym. This meant skipping the trainers that I could avoid with the only trainer battle being against the bug catcher close to the end of the forest. Along the way, Ratar somehow missed two tackles in a row on a Level 6 Metapod which I wondered how with those odds of missing two tackles when tackle is almost 100% percent (Gen 1 mechanics yay).

For now, I want to do a little bit of training to try and have my team a little bit balanced before going into the Brock fight which at this moment I am thinking of Pida and Bulba as my two Pokemon for the battle.

Bulba the Bulbasaur (Lv 10 - Tackle/Growl/Leech Seed)
Pida the Pidgey (Lv 4 - Gust)
Catta the Caterpie (Lv 4 - Tackle/String Shot)
Ratar the Rattata (Lv 5 - Tackle/Tail Whip)

OOC: I did try to attempt a Nuzlocke earlier in the month on the same game and it didn't end well as I went aggressive and it went south with me losing all of my Pokemon at nugget bridge because they were all severely under-leveled. Hopefully, this time that won't be the case.

Part 3: First gym battle (Peweter City Gym)
Thinking about the team for the gym battle, I was worried about the possibility of the lower levelled Pokemon that was currently in my party. This was as the potential of losing Bulba would leave me vulnerable to Brock with them being so low level. So the most obvious solution to that was heading back to Viridian Forest and do some training.

First I trained up Pida to Level 10 with it now learning Sand Attack which might be useful in the early game especially with its decrease in accuracy for the opposing Pokemon. After completing that training session, it was time for Catta to learn some new moves. But instead, Catta only wanted to evolve from a Caterpie into a Metapod before evolving to a Butterfree which gains me another flying type, ah yay for that. The final bit of training was getting Ratar level up to 9 so it would learn Quick Attack.

Completing that training session, it was time to go into the battle with Catta and Bulba while the other two was sent into the PC box for the time being. Sending out Butterfree, the plan was simple enough. Try to outspeed the Diglett with string shot before going with tackle to hopefully finish the Diglett off. That plan does sort of work with me almost killing the Diglett but a crit lowered it down to 3 HP and I was not risking losing my first Pokemon of the run. So we switch in Bulba to finish the off the job and also the Sandshrew with our newest move Vine Whip in only one hit.

The Brock fight though wasn't really anticlimactic as three Vine Whips from Bulba finished off his team and got us the first badge of the run which is the Boulder Badge and TM34 (Bide). If I am to be honest, there is probably no way that I will be using this TM in my party of six.

Team
Catta the Butterfree (Lv 10 - Tackle/String Shot)
Bulba the Bulabasur (Lv 14 - Tackle/Growl/Leech Seed/Vine Whip)
Pida the Pidgey (Lv 10 - Gust/Sand-Attack)
Ratar the Rattata (Lv 9 - Tackle/Tail Whip/Quick Attack)

End of Nuzlocke.
To be honest, I have bad news. Ummm the run sort of died as I got to Mount Moon and the team was underleveled with Bulbasaur the only real one to keep my team from dying. But a critical hit Hyper Fang from Raticate killed my Bulbasaur and the rest of the team soon followed to end my run at a sour point. Well what else could I do when you had a Zubat and Magikarp left in the team other than calling it a day for this Nuzlocke. :(

Back