Poker Bio's (Reads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Looking for a good read for xmas. Anyone recommond any?

Easy to read. Easy to understand. Strategy, Advantage, finding the edge type biographies

I guess a thread that can be kept aswell for good reads in general

You think it lives up to the hype?
Havent read any others so nothing to compare it to. Good basic fundamentals and you can definitely take things out that you didnt consider before. However, some of it is dated in the modern game. Also the shoulds and should nots are too black and white for me. Every situation is different depending on so many variables.

The Theory of Poker by David Slanksy is supposedly the classic every poker player must read. It's the base from which you build off. I'm about halfway through.
For some general, outside-the-box thinking, his DUCY? is well worth a read.

For some general, outside-the-box thinking, his DUCY? is well worth a read.
My problem with Theory of Poker is that it's not written specifically for holdem so some of the examples are from Razz, Hi Card, Lowball, or similar names, I have no idea how these games play so I don't know the context of the hand examples. Makes it a bit difficult to fully get how is explaining some concepts.

Second issue is that it's focussed too much on the right or wrong decision. I don't think poker is that black and white, the same decision can be right in some circumstances but not worth it in another, depending on a whole bunch of variables. More than likely I am wrong and he is right, he is/was obviously a far, far better player and knowledgable on the topic than me, but my own experiences in certain games show that no decision is ever the same as the last, even working from a basic framework.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second issue is that it's focussed too much on the right or wrong decision. I don't think poker is that black and white, the same decision can be right in some circumstances but not worth it in another, depending on a whole bunch of variables. More than likely I am wrong and he is right, he is/was obviously a far, far better player and knowledgable on the topic than me, but my own experiences in certain games show that no decision is ever the same as the last, even working from a basic framework.
Tend to agree. Looked at a video of someone trying Maths/GameTheory v Instinct.

Maths/GameTheory told him to fold but his read of the player said to go for it . Interesting discussion point.

Tend to agree. Looked at a video of someone trying Maths/GameTheory v Instinct.

Maths/GameTheory told him to fold but his read of the player said to go for it . Interesting discussion point.
Read an article on a similar topic recently, how GTO is not optimal 100% of the time because when you have a clear weakness to exploit you win more by exploiting.

Re: poker books, don't bother with Negreanu's Holdem Wisdom for All Players. Meant to be 50 tips and thought of the 50 I'd find a few nuggets of gold or some great things I never thought of, it's complete junk and would only be valuable for the almost absolute beginner. One of the 50 tips is how to set up a home game and the tip is have a blind timer and start with $1500 in chips.... then it's just your basic "play in position" generic stuff you can find anywhere.

Re: poker books, don't bother with Negreanu's Holdem Wisdom for All Players. Meant to be 50 tips and thought of the 50 I'd find a few nuggets of gold or some great things I never thought of, it's complete junk and would only be valuable for the almost absolute beginner. One of the 50 tips is how to set up a home game and the tip is have a blind timer and start with $1500 in chips.... then it's just your basic "play in position" generic stuff you can find anywhere.

D-Negs is a sellout, good promoter and great player but anything he promotes is far from the best quality wise.

D-Negs is a sellout, good promoter and great player but anything he promotes is far from the best quality wise.
And as a current player I didn't expect him to reveal his ultimate secrets and plays, but this book was a joke. Biggest example of using your own name and personal brand to sell crap.

Books are okay though, you only need to pick up a few tips that improve your game and eventually it's a return on the money spent, plus I find them interesting. There's a lot of online stuff too but it's all repetitive now across every site or YouTube vid.

Gus Hanson - Every hand revealed

Fun read with some truly different lines to take to the felt.

Gus gets ragged on because of his online record but he's still a great player. He was playing almost every game against the best of the best with almost zero game selection. Always an entertaining player to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back