Poker terms

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'm playing now. For reference, the best 10 hands are (hopefully I get this right):
1. 432A badugi
2. 532A badugi
3. 542A badugi
4. 632A badugi
5. 642A badugi
6. 643A badugi
7. 652A badugi
8. 653A badugi
9. 6532 badugi
10. 654A badugi

highball - game where high hand wins the pot. eg. California Draw, Omaha High (term rarely used)

long ball - late-tournament pre-flop strategy to force opponents to call your all-in with a coin-flip at best (ie. the Kill Phil strategy, often employed by novice players)

lowball - game where low hand wins the pot. eg. Badugi, Razz, Ace-to-Five, Deuce-to-Seven

small ball - early-tournament post-flop strategy to frequently win small pots (often employed by skilled players)

red+black said:
long ball - late-tournament pre-flop strategy to force opponents to call your all-in with a coin-flip at best (ie. the Kill Phil strategy, often employed by novice players)

----------

small ball - early-tournament post-flop strategy to frequently win small pots (often employed by skilled players)

When John Stolzmann won on WPT on Fox8 a few weeks ago he was saying at the table that his strategy was to get his chips in in a race situation and try and avoid playing lots of small pots against the other guys on the table like Daniel Negreanu and Scotty Nguyen. Basically admitting he wasn't as good a player as they are.

Ring game tables are usually Limit, Pot Limit or No Limit. But I found something different.

R/F - Raise or Fold. The bring-in exceeds the big blind, so no limping in. Usually played at limit.

I missed the question on "Eight or better" before, so I will add now that there is a game played in the "big game" in Vegas called "Stud Hi/Lo Regular", which is played without the 8/OB variant, meaning every pot is a split pot. (Eg. a low hand of A-3-8-T-J could get you the low pot).

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, so I'll post while I'm at it.

Last night I played a home game. We played a rotating game of Pot Limit Hold'em, Omaha Hi/Lo with a kill, Pot Limit Omaha, and Chicago (Seven Card Stud, small spade in the hole wins half the pot, only in my games the Aces plays small. I play this because nobody knows how to even play Stud well, but they play it because the small spade makes the game interesting).

Anyways, a "Kill" is an extra forced bet the winner of the previous hand must make, usually played in Omaha Hi/Lo. For example, if I scoop a pot (not split), I must kill the next pot, and put out a forced bet either twice the BB (Full Kill) or half the amount of twice the BB (Half Kill). Example, if BB is 20, Full Kill is 40, or Half Kill is 30. We play Full Kill.

So now when you see some poker sets with a Kill button, you know what it is.

Yes, kill pots, kill buttons, full-kill games, half-kill games, one-third-kill games are all mentioned in Chapter 11 of Winning Omaha/8 Poker by Mark Tenner and Lou Krieger.

New terms:
AI/ai - all-in
FT/ft - final table
MI/mi - move (all-)in
SS/ss - short stack

walk - when pre-flop, it folds around to the big blind (ie. no one calls). eg. Hero receives a walk on his big blind

Binxy said:
Blank - When a community card does not help your hand
I think doug wrote this, and you updated your original list. But I think this definition is wrong. A blank does not define the situation, it is the actual card. So I would have:

Blank (aka brick) - A card that appears to be of no help to anyone (often designated with an "x")

Of course had seen this, and sometimes do it myself, although only found out tonight the official term:

Card washing - a card shuffling technique where the dealer spreads the cards on the table face-down and then proceeds to mix them around with his hands flat in a face washing like motion, before gathering them up and performing a more normal shuffle. Card washing is intended to remove any consistencies in the sequencing among the cards of new decks, or sequencing that was produced in play prior to the present shuffle. In standard table poker, the cards are washed after every hand before they are subjected to a more conventional shuffling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see brick... how about baby, is that there? (Can't be bothered looking)

If not, it's a term mainly used in lowball games, where a brick is obviously a card higher than, say, eight (eg. Jack), while a baby is a card that helps the hand, like, say, a deuce.

freezeout - a tournament that has no rebuys (most tournaments).

shootout - a tournament where only 1 player advances from each table.

Fold Equity - the value gained from the possibility that an opponent may fold if you bet in a particular situation (read here).

what about TPTK? i see it alot, but i have no idea what it means. any help????????:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back