Pokies money for AFL clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting figures in the Hun today re each Vic based AFL club and their pokies revenue. We start a long way behind most in terms of dollars. Not sure we leverage the no pokies enough. Interested in comments on how else we could use this situation to our advantage from a marketing perspective.

Victorian AFL clubs and their pokie takes in 2013-14

CARL $17.5m (4 pokie clubs)

COLL $12.7m (3)

ESS $11.9m (2)

GEEL $8m (2)

HAW $18.6m (2)

MEL $9.4m (2)

NM — Nil

RICH $4.1m (1)

STK $2.2m (1)

WB $4.3m (2)

TOTAL = 19 pokie clubs — $88.7m

are pokie machines illegal in Victoria? Yes some people have a problem with gambling but many don't and whilst it is legal i dont see a problem with it, all month we hear about the spring carnival and we have a day off for a horse race and people are betting multi million dollars. Yes the club has made a stance in no pokies but is it really a smart business move?

are pokie machines illegal in Victoria? Yes some people have a problem with gambling but many don't and whilst it is legal i dont see a problem with it, all month we hear about the spring carnival and we have a day off for a horse race and people are betting multi million dollars. Yes the club has made a stance in no pokies but is it really a smart business move?

Who cares. We have made the correct moral move (regardless of how we got there), and the club is to be applauded and supported in my book.

We don't need to try and gain overt leverage out of their position, just sit back and enjoy the unique position we are in as a Victorian club.

Who cares. We have made the correct moral move (regardless of how we got there), and the club is to be applauded and supported in my book.

We don't need to try and gain overt leverage out of their position, just sit back and enjoy the unique position we are in as a Victorian club.
Hear, hear B4B. In today's economic rationalist world the distinction between what is smart or wise can get blurred with 'good for business'.

Pretty much exactly what I post when this topic comes up every 2 months.

No amount of equalisation is going to make up being $10-20m per annum behind everyone else.

Capping football department spending is the only hope we have of competing so that non-football revenue doesn't dictate success. We shouldn't have to whore ourselves out to keep up with the other whores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of these licenses were gifted?

Also revenue does not equal profit. How are Failscrap and the Go Dees travelling these days?

Profit margin from Pokies is still pretty high, turnover is also important for cash flow, especially given the seasonal nature of football revenue.

We've taken the moral high ground. Nothing wrong with that.

Needs to be exploited and advertised more to stay competitive though. No point doing it if people don't know about it.

So, what if the TAB wanted naming rights on Arden St?? How strong is the clubs stance??

If we try to leverage it we open ourselves up to talking about the 3 times we tried to do it. Moral high ground or gave up after f***ing it up too many times?

Last edited by a moderator:
If we try to leverage it we open ourselves up to talking about the 3 times we tried to do it. Moral high ground or gave up after f***ing it up too many times?

Fair point but it's weird that the 'tried and failed' line has been pulled out before as a reason we don't do this now.

We also tried and failed to commit long term to 3 previous relocated home game schemes but that didn't stop us seemingly getting it right with Hobart.

The 3 Victorian clubs who have won flags in the last decade averaged $13.1 mill from pokies revenue last year.

Can't be a coincidence. Worth another shot.

As others have pointed out don't take those sensationalist Herald Sun figures on face value. For example a min 42.5% of those numbers above is immediately surrendered to the state in taxes.

Then they have venue costs, licence costs, labour costs etc. From memory Carlton pulled in around $19.5 mill in revenues from their 290 machines in 2013 but had circa $17 mill in costs.

People keep crapping on about a cafe at Arden St. I want to know when the club is going to get smart and replace the Huddle with a strip club and brothel. The area is screaming out for a decent whorehouse. And it's legal. Personal responsibility for one's own actions and so forth.

Yep. I've also heard of taking responsibility for your own actions.

It's a really tricky area, not as simple as you make out. I don't want nanny state controlling what people eat, drink, how they spend their money etc, I don't think anyone does. I know that the only thing I'm hopelessly addicted to is North Melbourne. But when you see people so obese they can't walk anymore, so alcoholic that they lose their jobs and end up on the street, so addicted to gambling that they become abusive to their families, and they go into a cycle of depression and suicide, then you start realising they're past being able to take responsibility for their own actions. They actually need outside help. Whether that comes from government intervention or whatever is another question.

I reckon pokies, even though I occasionally use (and enjoy) the things, are pretty sickening. Imagine explaining the concept to an alien race. "People voluntarily go up to these flashing machines and insert all the tokens that are needed to get food and shelter and other things people might want. Then they go home." Its a bit f****d up. Got a couples of mates who are boarder-line addicted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back