Pokies money for AFL clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Age:
Hawthorn's $23 million haul wins pokies premiership
  • Nick Toscano
  • Victorians have lost almost $94 million on football club-owned poker machines in the past year.

The state gambling regulator released new figures on Friday that showed total pokies losses ran to $2.6billion, roughly the same as the previous financial year.
    Hawthorn Hawks reaped the most money for the year, $23.29 million, up 3.1 per cent on last year's $22.6 million. The second biggest taker was Carlton, with its 290 gaming machines claiming $17.6 million at four venues, up 3.3 per cent from last year.

Other AFL clubs including Essendon (down 2.2 per cent to $11.85 million), Collingwood (up 58 per cent to $12.2 million), Melbourne (up 4.4 per cent to $10.3 million) and Geelong (down 19.4 per cent to $5.24 million) also recorded millions of dollars in pokies takings.

The Alliance for Gambling Reform said Australians were still gambling away more money per capita than any other country.

• The alliance's director Tim Costello said it was "wrong" that gamblers at Hawthorn's West Waters Hotel lost $12.43 million on pokies last year to sustain the "lifestyle of millionaire footballers".

"It's just wrong and the Hawthorn board should be ashamed of themselves."

He called on the league and clubs to quit pokies as North Melbourne has done.

"As a lifelong Essendon supporter, I'll be buying a North Melbourne membership in 2018 if my club hasn't committed to exit the pokies by the beginning of next season."

2907_AFL_take.jpg
    Neil Murray, of Community Clubs Victoria, said the gambling expenditure at AFL clubs' venues was "provided willingly by customers who go there for their own entertainment purposes", and was invested back into their clubs.
    "The money raised by AFL go to their true purposes and the development of football," he said.

"The AFL and the love of football has been grown into the Victorian psyche."

Stephen Mayne, a spokesman for the Alliance for Gambling Reform, said the average yearly pay of an AFL player had risen to $370,000.

"And this is partly funded by state-sponsored abuse in poor areas by dangerous and addictive machines," he said. "This is going to be an issue at the upcoming annual general meetings of all these clubs, and the directors there had better be ready to explain themselves."

Mr Mayne said it had been 10 years since North Melbourne decided to dump its poker machine, and called on the other clubs to follow its lead.

"Let the NRL be the pokies-dominated code ... we are not the NRL, we are better than that," he said.

Losses by local government area saw Brimbank top the league table with $134.14 million down from $143.05 million the previous year. Epping Plaza was the venue posting the biggest losses at about $21 million

Yeah, I get that he is using the term losses for emphasis but could have been worded better

In case people missed it from the above article, this is simply golden publicity:

"It's just wrong and the Hawthorn board should be ashamed of themselves."

He called on the league and clubs to quit pokies as North Melbourne has done.

"As a lifelong Essendon supporter, I'll be buying a North Melbourne membership in 2018 if my club hasn't committed to exit the pokies by the beginning of next season." Tim Costello

Mr Mayne said it had been 10 years since North Melbourne decided to dump its poker machine, and called on the other clubs to follow its lead.​

Love it

And I still believe despite all our club's chest beating about being pokies free it is because every time we did have them we stuffed it up. If the club's pokies at Docklands worked like they originally planned and turned a good profit we would still have them. Let me stress I am happy to not have them and try to leverage that as a positive, but the real reason is that we couldn't make them work.

We know..........

Shhhhhhhhhhh..........

I deliver newspapers early in the morning for a mate of mine when he needs a break and I was gobsmacked when I saw our logo on that edition of the age. Disgusting from a E grade publisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone remember to check in on Tim Costello at the start of next season to make sure he has bought a NMFC membership

Yep because we all know that * wont be getting rid of the pokies any time soon.

I'm not a fan of tooting our horn too much on this subject for the simple reason that I know the only reason we don't have pokies is that we couldn't make money out of them when we did. Absolutely no higher moral stance involved. I'm happy we don't have them, but let's be honest....

I'm not a fan of tooting our horn too much on this subject for the simple reason that I know the only reason we don't have pokies is that we couldn't make money out of them when we did. Absolutely no higher moral stance involved. I'm happy we don't have them, but let's be honest....
That's the history, and then there was also a decision. Not an easy choice, the club could have just let it drift and watched out for new gaming opportunities, but that was where the moral position (and market differentiation, it's never just a values call) came in. Understanding the background doesn't mean dismissing the validity and courage of the current position.

You can make $ out of pokies anywhere. Gambling (particularly pokies) are a vice for some people and the clubs that have them take advantage for the almighty dollar or to fatten their bottom line. Media personalities toot our horn over it, guys like Heath take offense when people are crtitical etc.

so is the pokies what turned Hawthorn from a broke Merged team of 96 to the powerhouse it is now? I was O/S from 2000 to 2014 and don't understand how the Hawks managed to turn it around

so is the pokies what turned Hawthorn from a broke Merged team of 96 to the powerhouse it is now? I was O/S from 2000 to 2014 and don't understand how the Hawks managed to turn it around

That plus the fact Ian Dicker sold Waverley to the club for a token $1 and the multi year multi million dollar Tassie deal helped enormously as well.

I think it's time NMFC did a complete 360 and embraced gambling as a form of revenue. If we could generate an extra $100,000AUD per year, it would mean we could buy players like Dusty and Kelly without having to worry about the bottom line. A bit like when we bought Longmire and Carey from Sydney.
I often dream of the club having a roulette wheel in the foyer outside the Roo Shop and lining the walls of the basketball court with pokies. That way, nobody can complain their activities are being impeded and there'd be a river of dirty cash flowing through the place.
I ran it by a few of the officials last night at the Player Sponsor Function and despite a mixed response, I think most people felt I was on something.

That plus the fact Ian Dicker sold Waverley to the club for a token $1 and the multi year multi million dollar Tassie deal helped enormously as well.
The Hawks had a long term lease at Waverley which the AFL dishonoured. It was either give them a training base for nothing or a multi-million dollar payout (they got lucky). The Tassie deal is something they've done well with after watching us fumble and bumble through Sydney and Canberra (good management).

I'm sure Hawthorn will live comfortably without pokies revenue but they will be just as addicted to the revenue as the users of the machines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back