Politics & Government Police Brutality

Will this be a catalyst for real change or will it be more of the same?

• Change

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More of the same

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok, so I've seen another video of police using force on a bunch of protesters in Melbourne, and as you can imagine the Facebook warriors have seen the footage and have been crying out for murder, saying ridiculous things like Australia will end up like a 3rd world country, this is disgusting etc.

But when does police force become excessive or unnecessary? Have you been involved in situations where you feel the police escalated a situation to a violent point that was not needed? IMO, I believe the police had every right to forcefully remove these people. Their message has been well and truly heard and have now gone to point of being a public nuisance. If they cannot follow a reasonable request to move on, then police should go for it.

What angers me most is that the people who are outraged by this, and labelling them all types of things, will happily request their services when their hour of need arises. They have very little understanding of the context in which these protesters were removed and are quick to point the finger and sook over incidents like these.

No doubt cops are humans as well; some of them are complete douchebags who do not deserve the position they're in, thinking they are above the law and go out to intimidate you. But even still, I acknowledge that some of them are just regular people trying to do their job and will protect you when needed.

For those who haven't seen the video, here it is.

Mods, I know I have seen this issue raised somewhere on this board. A similar video of a girl having a costume taken off her and being left exposed in a park was subject of a thread a little while ago, but after using the search function, I could not find the thread or one similar.

Update 10 September 2021:

Created this thread when I was 17... it would be fair to say my view on this issue has evolved drastically since the time of the initial post having completed a law degree and commencing my masters.

I will say the treatment of our first nations people in custody (among other environments) is a national shame.

The recent lockdown protests in Melbourne have also brought this topic to light - however the more pertinent issue has probably been people's rights to protest and the lawfulness of the lockdowns.

I have previously been content with Australia's human rights framework (or lack thereof) which have seen the majority of our human rights evolve through the courts i.e. they are not entrenched by virtue of an entrenched bill of rights.

The pandemic has tested this view of mine. I believe a clear framework is needed more than ever when it comes to human rights in Australia, one which is robust, however flexible enough to deal with the modern challenges of globalisation and pandemics.

I digress from the thread topic, however I will conclude by stating police brutality is not acceptable in any form and is very much an issue in Australian society. The George Floyd murder (among many others) illustrates how dire situation is in the United States. I hope we can work towards an equal society for all Australians where no ethnic group is overrepresented in custodial deaths or injuries.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
What angers me most is that the people who are outraged by this, and labelling them all types of things, will happily request their services when their hour of need arises.

Bingo. I don't think our police are brutal enough to be honest. If you step out of line or you're a smartarse in the USA, you'll be face down with a knee in the back. That's one thing I love about those yanks.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bingo. I don't think our police are brutal enough to be honest. If you step out of line or you're a smartarse in the USA, you'll be face down with a knee in the back. That's one thing I love about those yanks.

This. During NYE there were a group of troublesome teens just looking for fights. When police confronted them about something (possibly drinking in public) they were so disrespectful and had little fear of them it wasn't funny. A week off 17 during the celebrations, I was shocked and appalled. Those w***ers, who would of been roughly my age, deserved a US-style police beatdown. I walked away thinking future criminal for sure.

If this kind of attitude can exist then I am fearful for the future of our country. On the flipside however, I do know of alot of decent kids as well.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You would have made an excellent "capo" in the concentration camps.

Aug 3, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
If people are going to resist arrest or forced expulsion then they've got expect the cops dragging them out with serious force.

No one deserves to be punched in the face though. It's pretty obvious a lot of the cops at Occupy took it too far.

But then again, the crowd was obviously egging them on. The more brutal the cops were the more they could paint themselves as being on a moral high ground.

I think Doyle was an idiot for giving the protesters exactly what they wanted.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
This. During NYE there were a group of troublesome teens just looking for fights. When police confronted them about something (possibly drinking in public) they were so disrespectful and had little fear of them it wasn't funny. A week off 17 during the celebrations, I was shocked and appalled. Those w***ers, who would of been roughly my age, deserved a US-style police beatdown. I walked away thinking future criminal for sure.

If this kind of attitude can exist then I am fearful for the future of our country. On the flipside however, I do know of alot of decent kids as well.

Yeah I see it all the time. It's because they know how pissweak our forces are (don't get me started on our justice system) and they know they'll get away with it. Watch the absolute fear in the face of criminals caught by the police in the US - they know to shut the **** up and do as the cops say or s**t will go down. It's the complete opposite here.

Lets Roar like '44

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We all know if your protester you automatically have the right to abuse, throw punches, and throw things at the Police. As soon as a copper pushes them back he's the biggest c... in the world.

More tasers, more capsicum spray and more batton use- that will shut the idiots up. If protesters want to get their point across, how about dressing up in a suit, or neat attire at least, instead of looking like the unemployed bum that you probably are, and then they might get more respect and people might be more willing to listen.

PS- Dont have to access to the video at the moment

Most of my experiences with the police (nothing charging me, btw) have been fairly good, and handled appropriately. On one occasion though, this wasn't the case.
My cousin was going for a run, so he left his house, and the police were waiting for him. They grabbed him straight away, tackled him to the ground, broke his jaw, and used very excessive force.
He had apparently been identified by someone as the culprit in a crime (don't remember what). He didn't do it, and was soon let go.

Poseidon

Kreuzer Sonata
10k Posts Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2013 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2011 Player Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
Wild Wild West
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
That is not police brutality FFS, if they don't leave when they're asked to then what the hell do they expect to happen? Stupid ******** hipster trash acting like oppressed political prisoners when they're dragged away. Would have loved to punch that loudmouth shrieking cow in the face at 0:09 in the video.

As an avid watcher of COPS it gives me delight in seeing the US cops in action. They do their job with attitude, dignity, pride and they don't take any s**t from criminal scum. Watch an Australian cop show it's some jolly old knobs with beer guts trying hard not to offend anyone. FFS drag the junkie out of his car and dig your knee into his back and he won't ****ing swear at a police officer again.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Looked a pretty well run operation to me. People had to be moved, so instead of having an all-in brawl with a large crowd they just moved them, one at a time. Anyone who got hurt has only themself to blame. Look at the very last guy in the video, was willing to walk and consequently didn't get dragged.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The real police brutality never makes headlines, except in really bad ongoing cases where a crusading journo or lawyers picks it up.

Then there's the ongoing police harassment that goes on for some "groups".

Growing up in Flemington in the late 80s and 90s was an education in the day to day tactics of how the boys in blue operate.

Nothing gives you respect for the law like being strip searched on the side of the road at 16 on the way back from footy training because the bloke you're walking home with has an older brother who knocks round with guys the local cops really really don't like.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Given many of the guys coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan get jobs in "law enforcement" that will only get worse.

You may like it from here, but I guarantee you wouldn't like being puled over by a 24 year old who spent 12 months in Anbar and is having a "bad night".

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Update: One of the w***ers from the status posted this video and compared my argument with the removal of these pests with illegal music downloading.

[youtube]qymAk9LkD74[/youtube]

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Occupy Melbourne flogs are w***ers but Doyle just wanted to be Bloomberg-lite and the way the jacks sexually assaulted that girl in the park was plain disgraceful.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some quotes from the facebook guy:

I should also point out that Occupy Melbourne was also a soup kitchen for the homeless and anyone who wanted company/a meal. That the Police destroyed. Regardless of what you think about the rights to protest, you know something is wrong in the world when the police can just destroy a soup kitchen.

Also, I'd like to point out that City Square is a boring as **** place that is almost always empty. Its not like OM was blocking a doorway for a week, they were making use of a public space, by far the most popular and practical usage of it in years.

I bet the music on your iPod is illegal too, Phillip. Last time I checked 'illegally' feeding the homeless didn't help rob billions from the music and film industry. The laws the law mate! Better ship yoursel off to your local cop shop eh!

Another side note: every freedom you enjoy, take for granted and abuse was once "illegal" too and people died in the streets protesting "illegally" for it. I assume you have a job. Enjoy your 8 hour work week, health and safety, minimum wage and other laws? They didn't create themselves! It took years of strikes, protests, actions and beatings by the police for us to enjoy the freedoms we now have that everyone should enjoy. You can't shower once and assume you are clean forever y'know! Its a constant process.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
The biggest problem with video is that they only show a brief moment in time, very rarely do they show the full picture.

A prime example is seen by watching ACA or Today Tonight. They confront a business person who declines to comment, they then follow and harrass the person until they reach a breaking point and snap, they then show only the snippet of them snapping.

Police violence may exist in very small amounts, but when dealing with crowds you will often find it is justified. The OM protesters are criminals, pure and simple. They also comprise a large number of people who were involved in the G20 riots (they weren't protests). Unfortunately our courts are f***ing hopeless these people will provoke police, spit on them, throw things at them and then get off without a conviction and only some community service.

For the pay the police get are the crap they have to put up with they have arguably the toughest job in society for the worst compensation.

FFS drag the junkie out of his car and dig your knee into his back and he won't ****ing swear at a police officer again.

LOL. Yeah, said junkie definitely won't harbour any resentment towards police in general after that. Definitely won't go after a cop next time he's in a drug-induced haze.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Police violence may exist in very small amounts

Police violence exists in very large amounts. Police have a legal monopoly on violence in our society. Police deal out huge amounts of violence every day.

Very, very little of this violence - if any - is justified. Cops are rarely in actual conflict with people who pose a clear physical risk to others in society. Mostly police do it because they know they can get away with it - who really cares if a serial thief and addict cops a bit of a flogging in the van after they've been lifted flogging a Ipods from Shoppo for the 132nd time coz they spat at the arresting officers?

Does anyone even know if the Viet kids who have previous dealing convictions get a belting down the station even if they are arrested with nothing and subsequently released without charge?

Police do not have the right to beat you up even if you HAVE committed a crime.

We don't have corporal punishment in this country. We don't flog wrongdoers anymore.

(Disclaimer: as I said, I grew up in Flemington in the 80s/90s, thus it is firmly ingrained in me that all jacks are dogs. This working basis has stood me in good stead over the years. That said, in my professional life I've worked very closely with senior police from around the world so it is not an irrational problem with police or authority or anything. It is the very firm and evidence-based view I have (with minimal exceptions) that the Victoria Police are stupid, nasty, violent, corrupt scum.)

DTRAIN87

Cancelled
Suspended
Mar 18, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Left wing scum bags. They are/were committing unlawful acts and the cops were peaceful and amicable when saying they would move in if they didn't move. These hypocrites would probably want blood to boil if some right wing neo nazis walked in to their refugee centre or food kitchen and start destroying it. Not to mention they tried to state they were peacefully protesting and not contravening the law and some of those people had legal links lol.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only thing worse than the average copper is your average soldier, they are then ones that were too stupid to get into the police force.

I dunno, at the soldier has to face the fact they are possibly going to face people who can fight back one day.

The thing about the cop[s is the crappy way their force is organised.

For example, I would be very interested in becoming a detective dealing with serious crimes against the person - your homicides, your sex crimes, that kind of stuff.

The work those detectives do is astoundingly similar to journalism in most regards: you research, you interview people, you look for the angle. It requires very similar personality traits.

But the idea of spending years as a beat cop etc to get there sickens me.

Daytripper

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
For example, I would be very interested in becoming a detective dealing with serious crimes against the person - your homicides, your sex crimes, that kind of stuff.

The work those detectives do is astoundingly similar to journalism in most regards: you research, you interview people, you look for the angle. It requires very similar personality traits.

But the idea of spending years as a beat cop etc to get there sickens me.

You can do neither and become a Police Commissioner like Christine Nixon. :D

Back