Police 'close in on Marysville suspect'

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddyBuddy

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
A CFA firefighter is believed to have started the Marysville bushfire that killed 38 people — and sources close to the enquiry say investigators are closing in.

Victoria Police are on the verge of arresting the man, who is one of more than 1000 people who have been interviewed over the Black Saturday blaze, The Age newspaper reports.

Detectives from Taskforce Phoenix's Operation Groove have found where the fire was lit and have narrowed down a small group of suspects, the newspaper said.

They secretly questioned a member of the CFA and are now reportedly treating him as a major suspect.

Police declined to confirm a breakthrough had been made.

But the reports said the investigation was now focused on one man believed to have fought the fires which consumed every building in Marysville.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/802512/police-close-in-on-marysville-suspect

After the backlash against the bloke who was charged over the Gippsland fires, I can only imagine what is going to happen when this bloke is named!

Terrific to see their getting somewhere with it tho :thumbsu:

A colleague who is in the ACT RFS learnt in her training that 90% of deliberately lit fires are caused by members of CFA's/RFS's etc.

That said I'm not sure what percentage of all fires are caused by humans and what percentage of those are deliberate or accidental, but the initial stat is staggering yet at the same time not surprising.
I get the impression from those I know in Rural, Seasonal and Urban firefighting units that a lot of Pyros join firefighting units for the excitement of fire and not just for serving the community.

There is seriously something ****ed up in the head of people who deliberately lit fires and get off on this bullshit.

What usually surprises me though is that these aren't always the typical teenage or young douchebags, but often adults in their 40/50's with families etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back