Police given powers to enter homes and tear down anti-Olympics posters during 2012 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Police given powers to enter homes and tear down anti-Olympics posters during 2012 Games

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nti-Olympics-posters-Games.html#ixzz0M0tA7c9Z

Police have been handed 'Chinese-style' powers to enter private homes and seize political posters during the London 2012 Olympics.
Little-noticed measures passed by the Government will allow officers and Olympics officials to enter homes and shops near official venues to confiscate any protest material.
Breaking the rules could land offenders with a fine of up to £20,000.
Civil liberties groups compared the powers to those used by the Communist Chinese government to stop political protest during the 2008 Beijing Games.

Hrm interesting laws being introduced into London.

Wonder if this has anything to do with PM Brown admitting 'elites are no longer in control'.

Or are these laws being introduced to keep the people from communicating politics when the world will be watching?

No surprise.

The scame pricks brought in detention without trial, compulsory DNA swabs from innocent people, extradition to the US without any prima facie evidence etc etc

The thing about England is that they just don't complain, and their journalists would rather report when an MP is having an affair than when they are destroying their democracy.

Ridiculous bunch of people.

I guess karma finds a way, even after several hundred years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They dont want any political nastiness during the time. I am sure we had something similar with the 2000 Olympics. Anyone remember, I seem to remember the concerns at the time.

laws allowing police to break into houses and remove politically inconvenient material? and finding people for expressing an opinion within their own homes?

laws allowing police to break into houses and remove politically inconvenient material? and finding people for expressing an opinion within their own homes?

The media will just pick on people who choose to excersise their right to show political ideals in a democracy.

Its immoral and only opens up the oppurtunity for the elites to install laws to keep the common people living in a world dominated by the fear of having to survive.

Democracy is an illusion.

I really hope the Labour party get handed their arse over there.

Unfortunately both parties in Australia are heading in the same direction.

There is a concerted assault upon civil liberties taking place throughout the Western world. Far from exposing it, the media are complicit through constant sensationalism.

In many ways, liberalism is dying. State surveillance of innocent civilians is becoming the norm. The state is delving more and more into criminalising thought (see also the proposed new 'anti-terror' laws). If we are not careful it will die completely.

Sadly you are right MrMeaner. That's why I think it is so important for anyone who values civil liberties to jealously guard the internet.

It is a really the only available medium for free exchange of ideas these days.

There is no solace in pointing and laughing at Britain. The ALP has modelled itself on Blair's New Labour.

The Libs are no better.

Little Johnny saw himself as Bush's little puppy dog.

I agree absolutely with protecting the internet, it doesn't help when Rockefellers are publicly stating it is actually Americas No 1 enemy.

[YOUTUBE]Ct9xzXUQLuY[/YOUTUBE]

Seems the courts are setting up precedents for libel cases over twitter now.

I posted this here because I called a spade a spade, and got bant from starting new threads.

Its still relevant tho, now instead of storming your home, they can sue you just for saying something like, "Bigfooty is ghey".
http://mashable.com/2009/07/28/woman-sued-tweet/
Woman Sued for $50,000 Over a Tweet

How much damage can a Tweet do? According to property management company Horizon Realty, $50,000 worth. That’s the size of the lawsuit waged against one of its former tenants on Monday, in response to a Tweet about one of their Chicago apartments. Amanda Bonnen was staying an apartment at 4242 N. Sheridan, one of over 1,500 apartments owned by the company. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Bonnen’s Tweet on May 12 read, in part:
“Who said sleeping in a moldy apartment was bad for you? Horizon realty thinks it’s okay.”

I honestly thought someone bumped a thread from 2007-08 about Beijing and then i read 2012.

This is insane.

I can't believe people aren't in the streets protesting or there isn't an outcry in the media on a bigger scale. This is how it starts. Must be nipped in the bud now otherwise, people get complacent and Governments get confident and cocky.

:(

I honestly thought someone bumped a thread from 2007-08 about Beijing and then i read 2012.

This is insane.

I can't believe people aren't in the streets protesting or there isn't an outcry in the media on a bigger scale. This is how it starts. Must be nipped in the bud now otherwise, people get complacent and Governments get confident and cocky.

:(

Theyre too busy watching east enders and big brother. As if the media will tell people these things, they would lose their own power.

There is no solace in pointing and laughing at Britain. The ALP has modelled itself on Blair's New Labour.

The extent is rather eery.

Rule 1) Try and pass yourself off as important on the global stage
Rule 2) Harp on about an education "revolution" whilst doing nothing
Rule 3) Spend a fortune on the public service via wage rises and increase in pen pushers
Rule 4) Have a target for everything
Rule 5) Elmininate discussion under the spurious grounds ie pr0n / terrorism.
Rule 6) Label anyone who disagrees with this stupendous largesse as Thatcherite / Neo Liberal / Do Nothing
Rule 7) Find the ugliest person in the party you can find to have as deputy PM
Rule 8) Have an utter buffoon as treasurer so you can ignore them and make economic policy yourself
Rule 9) Have grandiose and barely disguised plans to become head of EU/UN

The only things Rudds is making are: "Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime" and "New Labour"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back